Pushing 17 Years

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Pushing 17 Years

#1 Post by Spock » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:08 am

I am sure this has been talked about, but as I was going to bed yesterday-I realized that my wave of people that came here in spring 2000 is coming up on 17 years. Obviously smaller and less on-topic than before, there can't be many similar things older on the internets.

I like to count the years both ways in things like this to appreciate time spans. So 17 years minus spring 2000 is spring of 1983. I always figured the first wave joined about 6 months prior to me (Call it Dec 31, 1999) so that would be late 1982 counting the other way.

jaybee

Re: Pushing 17 Years

#2 Post by jaybee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:06 am

Eeeh! Type a bit louder sonny, it's getting hard to hear you.
Jaybee

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:05 am

Spock wrote:I like to count the years both ways in things like this to appreciate time spans. So 17 years minus spring 2000 is spring of 1983. I always figured the first wave joined about 6 months prior to me (Call it Dec 31, 1999) so that would be late 1982 counting the other way.

I do that as well even though it's a bit meaningless since it's really impossible to have a current perspective on the time gap between 1983 and 2000 like you can between 2000 and 2017. Since that period covers a good deal of my younger years, I'm sure it seemed like a much longer period of time than the last 17 years have been...

I was only 24 when I came to the Bored, and now I'm as old as some of this Bored's elders were at that time....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:40 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Spock wrote:I like to count the years both ways in things like this to appreciate time spans. So 17 years minus spring 2000 is spring of 1983. I always figured the first wave joined about 6 months prior to me (Call it Dec 31, 1999) so that would be late 1982 counting the other way.

I do that as well even though it's a bit meaningless since it's really impossible to have a current perspective on the time gap between 1983 and 2000 like you can between 2000 and 2017. Since that period covers a good deal of my younger years, I'm sure it seemed like a much longer period of time than the last 17 years have been...

I was only 24 when I came to the Bored, and now I'm as old as some of this Bored's elders were at that time....

lb13
LB is a geezer!!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

danielh41

#5 Post by danielh41 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:46 am

I first hit that old ABC Go board in November 1999. My son was three months old. He graduates high school three months from now.

A lot of the people I used to talk with a lot are long gone (jmcachran, slk03, etc.).

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:12 am

tlynn78 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
LB is a geezer!!

Don't make me hit you with my Life Alert pendant!

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#7 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:28 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

LB is a geezer!!

Don't make me hit you with my Life Alert pendant!

lb13

GEEZERGEEZERGEEZER
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:56 am

I think I was a new father when I arrived here. Now Sparky and I talk about how he'll exercise his franchise later this year (local elections). --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:02 am

I joined sometime in the first half of 2000 when I was working in Philadelphia for Rohm & Hass (now sold to Dow) and could look straight out my office window at the Liberty Bell (now moved two blocks south). I joined when I found the ABC Bored when I went looking for somewhere that had audition notices after I found I had missed the Philly one.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Jeemie

#10 Post by Jeemie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:41 am

Spock wrote:I am sure this has been talked about, but as I was going to bed yesterday-I realized that my wave of people that came here in spring 2000 is coming up on 17 years. Obviously smaller and less on-topic than before, there can't be many similar things older on the internets.

I like to count the years both ways in things like this to appreciate time spans. So 17 years minus spring 2000 is spring of 1983. I always figured the first wave joined about 6 months prior to me (Call it Dec 31, 1999) so that would be late 1982 counting the other way.
First wave came on the boards in September of 1999.

I was one of those, although I suppose I should be counted in the November 1999 wave because that's when I first started posting.

So a little respect, sonny!

Loved living in Connecticut back then. People might not remember than in the initial phone game for the August 1999 debut, there was a charge per call.

But it was against the law to do that in Connecticut, so I got to call in for free!
1979 City of Champions 2009

danielh41

#11 Post by danielh41 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:23 pm

danielh41 wrote:I first hit that old ABC Go board in November 1999. My son was three months old. He graduates high school three months from now.

A lot of the people I used to talk with a lot are long gone (jmcachran, slk03, etc.).
I should also say that today is the 16th anniversary of my tape date, when I finally did make it to the Hot Seat after almost a year and a half of playing the phone game.

jaybee

#12 Post by jaybee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:09 pm

I gotta say Daniel, if your avatar pic is recent than there is not much change from your 16-year younger self save for the lack of 'stash. WTG!

I too, joined up in late '99 and started posting soon after. I remember that a reply to my very first post said, "you sound young" (I was in my early 40's)

I never paid for the phone game. Posted to the bored via dial-up AOL. And walked 5 miles to school every day - uphill both ways and barefoot.
Jaybee

tlynn78

#13 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:20 pm

jaybee wrote:I gotta say Daniel, if your avatar pic is recent than there is not much change from your 16-year younger self save for the lack of 'stash. WTG!

I too, joined up in late '99 and started posting soon after. I remember that a reply to my very first post said, "you sound young" (I was in my early 40's)

I never paid for the phone game. Posted to the bored via dial-up AOL. And walked 5 miles to school every day - uphill both ways and barefoot.
I can't remember when I started posting, but I'm pretty sure I was lurking by late '99.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

lilclyde54

#14 Post by lilclyde54 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:41 pm

What a long strange trip it has been. :wink:
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

Jeemie

#15 Post by Jeemie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:14 pm

jaybee wrote:I gotta say Daniel, if your avatar pic is recent than there is not much change from your 16-year younger self save for the lack of 'stash. WTG!

Are you, me, and Daniel the only three left from back then?
1979 City of Champions 2009

Spock

#16 Post by Spock » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:19 pm

One thought today-Does anyone know of any familiar names that have died?

Obviously, over 17 years, some have died-but who?

I like to think that I have punched well above my weight here, in terms of Bored history.

The Spocklette was probably the first baby conceived on the Bored and she will turn 16 on March 15.

I don't if I am excited, or scared, that I will probably spend the last days of my life in a Memory Care facility chuckling about "Corn and Tuba Dave on a Date." That should confuse the young ladies as they change my diapers.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#17 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Spock wrote:One thought today-Does anyone know of any familiar names that have died?

Obviously, over 17 years, some have died-but who?

The only two posters from this side of the Bored whose deaths were confirmed (that I'm aware of) are rubbersnail and tigerx3. The odds say that there are undoubtedly a few others that we will never know about...

lb13

jaybee

#18 Post by jaybee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:06 pm

Spock wrote: The Spocklette was probably the first baby conceived on the Bored and she will turn 16 on March 15.

You obviously are accessing the board from a much better server than the one I've been using. The most action I ever saw was trivia chat.
Jaybee

jaybee

#19 Post by jaybee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Jeemie wrote:

I know that our very own silver car lady joined up a few days before I did. Maybe Beebs?
Jaybee

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#20 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:11 pm

jaybee wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

I know that our very own silver car lady joined up a few days before I did.
Thanks, JB. I was just scrolling to the bottom to fight my way back "in". There may be others, too.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#21 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:14 pm

I think Beebs and Saucy both were here pretty darn early.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Spock

#22 Post by Spock » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:31 pm

silvercamaro wrote:I think Beebs and Saucy both were here pretty darn early.
I could be wrong, but my enduring memory (possibly false) from when I started lurking is Beebs and Barnaby93 talking.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#23 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Somewhere in one of my notebooks, I still have the "author number" of everyone from the old days of the rankings. These numbers were assigned in numerical order by Go based on time of registration and gave a pretty good indication of when most BB's joined. I know mine was just a few thousand above 23000000 (May 6, 2000... not when I first posted, but when I registered for Go) and many of my fellow New Classers were also in the 23MM to 27MM range....

lb13

flockofseagulls104

#24 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:14 am

I wonder if lb can find when I joined. I wasn't one of the first, but I was pretty early. And I changed my bored name after a failed phone game attempt. Before that I was bjh104 or something like that.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Estonut
Evil Genius

#25 Post by Estonut » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:38 am

Bob Juch wrote:... I was working in Philadelphia for Rohm & Hass (now sold to Dow) and could look straight out my office window at the Liberty Bell (now moved two blocks south).
Unless you could see through walls, this can't be true.

Also, the Liberty Bell was moved to its new home across the park. It never crossed a street.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx