Transcript 03/13/17 Patricia Jurado

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 03/13/17 Patricia Jurado

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Patricia Jurado
Las Vegas, NV

Patricia’s Plus One is Michael, the boyfriend of one of Patricia’s co-workers.

$500 A 2015 study employing the Yale Food Addiction Scale found which of the following foods to be the hardest of all to turn down?
A. Liver
B. Pizza
C. Lima beans
D. Expired milk
Spoiler
B. Pizza
$1K Hoping to explore its massive oceans, NASA recently announced that it wants to send a special kind of what to Saturn’s moon Titan?
A. Pool floatie
B. Pleasure yacht
C. Rubber ducky
D. Submarine
Spoiler
D. Submarine
$2K Thanks to places like Great Basin National Park and Area 51, about 85% of the entire state of Nevada is owned by whom?
A. The federal government
B. The mob
C. Extraterrestrials
D. David Copperfield
Spoiler
A. The federal government
$3K Time magazine included Livia Soprano and Mrs. Robinson on its recent list of pop culture’s 10 worst-ever what?
A. Moms
B. Bosses
C. Doctors
D. Judges
Spoiler
A. Moms
$5K Because it’s the offspring of two different species, which of these animals do zoologists consider a “hybrid”?
A. Yak
B. Mule
C. Platypus
D. Sloth
Spoiler
B. Mule
commercial break

$7K When she took office in 2013, 31-year-old Aja Brown became the youngest mayor ever of what CA hometown of Kendrick Lamar and Dr. Dre?
A. Long Beach
B. Santa Monica
C. Compton
D. El Segundo

+1

Michael believes it’s
Spoiler
”C”.

Spoiler
C. Compton
$10K Because the script called for a smaller actor, who lost over 60 pounds for 2004’s “The Machinist,” before gaining it all back to play a superhero the next year?
A. Robert Downey, Jr.
B. Tobey Maguire
C. Christian Bale
D. Hugh Jackman

ATA
ATA results
24% A. Robert Downey, Jr.
2% B. Tobey Maguire
54% C. Christian Bale
20% D. Hugh Jackman

Spoiler
C. Christian Bale
commercial break

$20K According to the U.S. Department of State, of the seven countries whose names begin with the letter “U,” how many have names that are composed of just one word?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6

50/50
50/50 leaves
B. 2
C. 4

Spoiler
C. 4
commercial break

QOTD

What savory sauce derives its name from an Italian word meaning “to pound”?
A. Marinara
B. Alfredo
C. Carbonara
D. Pesto

Spoiler
D. Pesto

$30K What candy introduced in Austria in 1927 as a smoking alternative has over the years included flavors such as coffee, licorice, and eucalyptus?
A. PEZ
B. Tootsie Rolls
C. Skittles
D. Candy corn
Spoiler
A. PEZ
end of show noise

Patricia will return on tomorrow’s show.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

Re: Transcript 03/13/17 Patricia Jurado

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:57 pm

20K: I could not come up with more beyond Uganda & Ukraine while watching show. 50/50. Like contestant, even though I couldn't think of them I knew there were more. Go w/4.

30K: Have never heard of others in those flavors. Like contestant, am scared there is a catch to PEZ, but go w/ it anyway.

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:09 pm

20K: The 50/50 is wasted here. As has been pointed out on the Bored, in numerical questions the 50/50 almost always leaves B & C, and in this case A & D are easy to rule out. Watching the show, I could think of a few "U" countries, including Upper Volta. I've since learned that Upper Volta became Burkina Faso in 1984.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:57 pm

50/50 worked for me (& contestant) because it left "I know its wrong" answer, so other answer had to be right one. I wouldn't count on "leaves B & C"; if they're told we're on to the pattern, they'll change it.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#5 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 pm

I watched from this question on, and I loved this contestant! Good luck tomorrow, Patricia!
$7K When she took office in 2013, 31-year-old Aja Brown became the youngest mayor ever of what CA hometown of Kendrick Lamar and Dr. Dre?
A. Long Beach
B. Santa Monica
C. Compton
D. El Segundo

+1

Michael believes it’s
Spoiler
”C."

Spoiler
C. Compton
ATA.
$20K According to the U.S. Department of State, of the seven countries whose names begin with the letter “U.” how many have names that are composed of just one word?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6

50/50
50/50 leaves
B. 2
C. 4

Spoiler
C.4
She named Uganda and one other, can't remember. I thought of Uganda, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, and forgot about the Ukraine. Anyway, despite remembering only two, she went with four! Wow!
$30K What candy introduced in Austria in 1927 as a smoking alternative has over the years included flavors such as coffee, licorice, and eucalyptus?
A. PEZ
B. Tootsie Rolls
C. Skittles
D. Candy corn
Spoiler
A. PEZ
This was awesome too. She went on and on about how there better never have been a eucalyptus Tootsie Roll and seemingly picked PEZ out of thin air. I googled it and found out that PEZ was deliberately shaped like a cigarette lighter, and you got a mint instead of a flame. I google-imaged 1920s cigarette lighters, and OK, some of them do resemble a Bic Flick. I like the one that resembles a hand grenade.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:29 am

ghostjmf wrote:50/50 worked for me (& contestant) because it left "I know its wrong" answer, so other answer had to be right one. I wouldn't count on "leaves B & C"; if they're told we're on to the pattern, they'll change it.
I think what jarnon meant is that when there are numerical answers, the correct one is nearly always one of the 2 middle values (not letters). That is, throw out the low and the high answers and the correct answer (and, thus the "rigged" 50/50) will almost always be one of the remaining 2.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:58 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Patricia Jurado
Las Vegas, NV

Patricia’s Plus One is Michael, the boyfriend of one of Patricia’s co-workers.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$3K Time magazine included Livia Soprano and Mrs. Robinson on its recent list of pop culture’s 10 worst-ever what?
A. Moms
B. Bosses
C. Doctors
D. Judges
Spoiler
A. Moms
Chris joked, "Are you trying to seduce me, Patricia?"
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10K Because the script called for a smaller actor, who lost over 60 pounds for 2004’s “The Machinist,” before gaining it all back to play a superhero the next year?
A. Robert Downey, Jr.
B. Tobey Maguire
C. Christian Bale
D. Hugh Jackman

ATA
ATA results
24% A. Robert Downey, Jr.
2% B. Tobey Maguire
54% C. Christian Bale
20% D. Hugh Jackman
Spoiler
C. Christian Bale
Not knowing who starred in "The Machinist" I'd have to ATA also.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20K According to the U.S. Department of State, of the seven countries whose names begin with the letter “U.” how many have names that are composed of just one word?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6

50/50
50/50 leaves
B. 2
C. 4
Spoiler
C.4
Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Uganda.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$30K What candy introduced in Austria in 1927 as a smoking alternative has over the years included flavors such as coffee, licorice, and eucalyptus?
A. PEZ
B. Tootsie Rolls
C. Skittles
D. Candy corn
Spoiler
A. PEZ
I thought PEZ was a German invention, but it clearly wasn't any of the others.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:23 am

Estonut:

I know that jarnon meant "when choices are 1,2,3,4 you can throw out 1 & 4". But they could get out of this pattern by choosing answers to be either 1 or 4.