WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:37 pm 
Keeper of the Transcripts

Patricia Jurado
Las Vegas, NV

Patricia’s Plus One is Michael, the boyfriend of one of Patricia’s co-workers.

$500 A 2015 study employing the Yale Food Addiction Scale found which of the following foods to be the hardest of all to turn down?
A. Liver
B. Pizza
C. Lima beans
D. Expired milk

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B. Pizza

$1K Hoping to explore its massive oceans, NASA recently announced that it wants to send a special kind of what to Saturn’s moon Titan?
A. Pool floatie
B. Pleasure yacht
C. Rubber ducky
D. Submarine

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D. Submarine

$2K Thanks to places like Great Basin National Park and Area 51, about 85% of the entire state of Nevada is owned by whom?
A. The federal government
B. The mob
C. Extraterrestrials
D. David Copperfield

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A. The federal government

$3K Time magazine included Livia Soprano and Mrs. Robinson on its recent list of pop culture’s 10 worst-ever what?
A. Moms
B. Bosses
C. Doctors
D. Judges

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A. Moms

$5K Because it’s the offspring of two different species, which of these animals do zoologists consider a “hybrid”?
A. Yak
B. Mule
C. Platypus
D. Sloth

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B. Mule

commercial break

$7K When she took office in 2013, 31-year-old Aja Brown became the youngest mayor ever of what CA hometown of Kendrick Lamar and Dr. Dre?
A. Long Beach
B. Santa Monica
C. Compton
D. El Segundo

+1

Michael believes it’s ”C”.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C. Compton

$10K Because the script called for a smaller actor, who lost over 60 pounds for 2004’s “The Machinist,” before gaining it all back to play a superhero the next year?
A. Robert Downey, Jr.
B. Tobey Maguire
C. Christian Bale
D. Hugh Jackman

ATA

[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA results
24% A. Robert Downey, Jr.
2% B. Tobey Maguire
54% C. Christian Bale
20% D. Hugh Jackman

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C. Christian Bale

commercial break

$20K According to the U.S. Department of State, of the seven countries whose names begin with the letter “U,” how many have names that are composed of just one word?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6

50/50

[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50 leaves
B. 2
C. 4

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C. 4

commercial break

QOTD

What savory sauce derives its name from an Italian word meaning “to pound”?
A. Marinara
B. Alfredo
C. Carbonara
D. Pesto

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D. Pesto

$30K What candy introduced in Austria in 1927 as a smoking alternative has over the years included flavors such as coffee, licorice, and eucalyptus?
A. PEZ
B. Tootsie Rolls
C. Skittles
D. Candy corn

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A. PEZ

end of show noise

Patricia will return on tomorrow’s show.

Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:57 pm 

20K: I could not come up with more beyond Uganda & Ukraine while watching show. 50/50. Like contestant, even though I couldn't think of them I knew there were more. Go w/4.

30K: Have never heard of others in those flavors. Like contestant, am scared there is a catch to PEZ, but go w/ it anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:09 pm 

20K: The 50/50 is wasted here. As has been pointed out on the Bored, in numerical questions the 50/50 almost always leaves B & C, and in this case A & D are easy to rule out. Watching the show, I could think of a few "U" countries, including Upper Volta. I've since learned that Upper Volta became Burkina Faso in 1984.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:57 pm 

50/50 worked for me (& contestant) because it left "I know its wrong" answer, so other answer had to be right one. I wouldn't count on "leaves B & C"; if they're told we're on to the pattern, they'll change it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 pm 
No Scritches!!!

I watched from this question on, and I loved this contestant! Good luck tomorrow, Patricia!

Quote:
$7K When she took office in 2013, 31-year-old Aja Brown became the youngest mayor ever of what CA hometown of Kendrick Lamar and Dr. Dre?
A. Long Beach
B. Santa Monica
C. Compton
D. El Segundo

+1

Michael believes it’s ”C."

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C. Compton

ATA.

Quote:
$20K According to the U.S. Department of State, of the seven countries whose names begin with the letter “U.” how many have names that are composed of just one word?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6

50/50

B. 2
C. 4

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C.4

She named Uganda and one other, can't remember. I thought of Uganda, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, and forgot about the Ukraine. Anyway, despite remembering only two, she went with four! Wow!

Quote:
$30K What candy introduced in Austria in 1927 as a smoking alternative has over the years included flavors such as coffee, licorice, and eucalyptus?
A. PEZ
B. Tootsie Rolls
C. Skittles
D. Candy corn

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A. PEZ

This was awesome too. She went on and on about how there better never have been a eucalyptus Tootsie Roll and seemingly picked PEZ out of thin air. I googled it and found out that PEZ was deliberately shaped like a cigarette lighter, and you got a mint instead of a flame. I google-imaged 1920s cigarette lighters, and OK, some of them do resemble a Bic Flick. I like the one that resembles a hand grenade.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:29 am 
Evil Genius

ghostjmf wrote:
50/50 worked for me (& contestant) because it left "I know its wrong" answer, so other answer had to be right one. I wouldn't count on "leaves B & C"; if they're told we're on to the pattern, they'll change it.
I think what jarnon meant is that when there are numerical answers, the correct one is nearly always one of the 2 middle values (not letters). That is, throw out the low and the high answers and the correct answer (and, thus the "rigged" 50/50) will almost always be one of the remaining 2.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:58 am 

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Patricia Jurado
Las Vegas, NV

Patricia’s Plus One is Michael, the boyfriend of one of Patricia’s co-workers.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$3K Time magazine included Livia Soprano and Mrs. Robinson on its recent list of pop culture’s 10 worst-ever what?
A. Moms
B. Bosses
C. Doctors
D. Judges
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A. Moms

Chris joked, "Are you trying to seduce me, Patricia?"

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$10K Because the script called for a smaller actor, who lost over 60 pounds for 2004’s “The Machinist,” before gaining it all back to play a superhero the next year?
A. Robert Downey, Jr.
B. Tobey Maguire
C. Christian Bale
D. Hugh Jackman

ATA
[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA results
24% A. Robert Downey, Jr.
2% B. Tobey Maguire
54% C. Christian Bale
20% D. Hugh Jackman

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C. Christian Bale

Not knowing who starred in "The Machinist" I'd have to ATA also.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$20K According to the U.S. Department of State, of the seven countries whose names begin with the letter “U.” how many have names that are composed of just one word?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. 6

50/50
B. 2
C. 4

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C.4

Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Uganda.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
A. PEZ
B. Tootsie Rolls
C. Skittles
D. Candy corn
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A. PEZ

I thought PEZ was a German invention, but it clearly wasn't any of the others.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:23 am 

Estonut:

I know that jarnon meant "when choices are 1,2,3,4 you can throw out 1 & 4". But they could get out of this pattern by choosing answers to be either 1 or 4.