Trump's "Irish proverb" is by a Nigerian

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Trump's "Irish proverb" is by a Nigerian

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:10 am

This past Thursday, the president made a joint public appearance with the Irish Prime Minister in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. Such an event is a longstanding tradition; it includes the Irish Prime Minister presenting the U.S. president with a bowl of shamrocks.

In his remarks at the event, President Trump offered up some thoughts.

He said:

‘As we stand together with our Irish friends, I’m reminded of an Irish proverb – and this is a good one, this is one I like, I’ve heard it for many, many years and I love it. Always remember to forget the friends that proved untrue, but never forget to remember those that have stuck by you.’

There is, however, one problem. The Irish proverb that Trump cites isn’t actually an Irish proverb. Rather, the sentiment is taken from a Nigerian poem written by Albashir Adam Alhassan.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

Re: Trump's "Irish proverb" is by a Nigerian

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:12 am

Bob Juch wrote:
This past Thursday, the president made a joint public appearance with the Irish Prime Minister in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. Such an event is a longstanding tradition; it includes the Irish Prime Minister presenting the U.S. president with a bowl of shamrocks.

He said:

‘As we stand together with our Irish friends, I’m reminded of an Irish proverb – and this is a good one, this is one I like, I’ve heard it for many, many years and I love it. Always remember to forget the friends that proved untrue, but never forget to remember those that have stuck by you.’

There is, however, one problem. The Irish proverb that Trump cites isn’t actually an Irish proverb. Rather, the sentiment is taken from a Nigerian poem written by Albashir Adam Alhassan.
Give him a break. It's St. Patrick's Day. Everyone is Irish today.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:15 am

Wonder if Albashir Adam Alhassan would be stopped and searched at the airport?

Nah, prolly not.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Pastor Fireball

#4 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:51 am

Bob Juch wrote:

He said:

Did Drumpf also get a promise of lottery winnings with that proverb?
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:52 am

We'll find this to be Fake News.

There are many references to this "poem", some attributed to Anonymous, some to a Kaitlyn Kennedy. Who's to say that Albashir Adam Alhassan didn't plagiarize it? He is Nigerian, after all.

by Anonymous

by Kaitlyn Kennedy
It's quoted on here, an Irish tourism site.

Some St. Patrick's Day website with a copyright of 1997 If truly not updated since 1997, Albashir Adam Alhassan would be about 12 when this was designed. The site has messages posted from 2001 so its not beyond reason.

Posted as an Irish Blessing
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:01 pm

More...

Irish Toasts and Blessings from an Irish tourism site.

As a Celtic Proverb

This is really funny. You guys fell for a Nigerian scam.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:50 am

Poem found in a book published in 1936

No source identifies it as coming from Ireland, but it certainly did not originate in Nigeria as all the Trump haters so foolishly and publicly claimed.

~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:55 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Wonder if Albashir Adam Alhassan would be stopped and searched at the airport?

Nah, prolly not.

I wonder if those calling Trump out (and posting such foolishness) will recant and admit their mistakes.

Nah, prolly not.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

elwoodblues

#9 Post by elwoodblues » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:24 am

BackInTex wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:Wonder if Albashir Adam Alhassan would be stopped and searched at the airport?

Nah, prolly not.

I wonder if those calling Trump out (and posting such foolishness) will recant and admit their mistakes.

Nah, prolly not.
I would agree that some of the criticism has gotten trivial. There is enough legitimately bad stuff he is doing without having to reach for something like this.