Transcript 4/23/2008 Kathryn Barbin

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 4/23/2008 Kathryn Barbin

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:53 pm

Transcript 4/23/2008

Kathryn Barbin
St. Cloud, MN

She wants Billy to do Meredith's signature hand move, which is reaching across and
holding both hands.

She got the call to be on the show while she was in a bank opening a new account.
When she told them who the call was, they offered her more options for her new account.

$100
Judges traditionally call a courtroom to order by performing which of these
ceremonial acts?

A: Blowing a whistle
B: Banging a gavel
C: Ringing a bell
D: Playing air guitar

$200
In the Mr. Men: children's book series, what character can bend an iron bar with his
bare hands?

A: Mr. Lazy
B: Mr. Tickle
C: Mr. Clumsy
D: Mr. Strong

$300
What Canadian province was named after the son of King George III?

A: Ontario
B: Prince Edward Island
C: Quebec
D: New Brunswick

$500
In a manner of speaking, money literally grows on trees for farmers who grow and sell which
of these crops?

A: Oranges
B: Potatoes
C: Carrots
D: Cabbage

$1000
An organization that lacks direction is often said to be which of the following?

A: Brimless
B: Cordless
C: Rudderless
D: Seamless

$2000
Similar to Legionnaires' disease, Pontiac fever is named for an outbreak that occurred in
1968 in what U.S. state?

A: Indiana
B: Missouri
C: Michigan
D: Wisconsin

Kathryn knows there's a Pontiac, Michigan but she's not familiar with these, so she
decides to ATA.

ATA:

A: 2%
B: 2%
C: 93%
D: 3%

$4000
What brand of beer traditionally comprises the "black" part of the drink known as a Black
and Tan?

A: Guinness
B: Beck's
C: Corona
D: Heineken

$8000
In 1979, the punk rock group The Clash released an influential double album titled what?

A: Paris Calling
B: Berlin Calling
C: London Calling
D: Dublin Calling

Commercial break

This is Kathryn's first trip to NYC. Before the next question, Billy gives Kathryn
Meredith's signature hand move.

$16000
Our solar system's main asteroid belt is located between the orbits of Mars and what neighboring planet?

A: Venus
B: Jupiter
C: Saturn
D: Mercury

$25000
A reference to the last initial of the retailer's founder, the "K" in "Kmart" stands for what?

A: Krohn
B: Kirsch
C: Knudson
D: Kresge

Kathryn doesn't know and decides to phone her friend, Dan. He knows this right away.

$50000
One of the earliest bulletproof vests was invented in the 1890's when Chicago priest Casimir Zeglen fashioned one primarily out of what?

A: Bamboo
B: Leather
C: Silk
D: Tin

Kathryn thinks it should be leather or tin, but it might be tricky and decides to switch the question.

$50000
Which of these flowers is typically pollinated by beetles rather than bees?

A: Daisy
B: Magnolia
C: Snapdragon
D: Marigold

She took botany in school, but she doesn't remember this. Billy says botany is one of those
classes that you normally sleep through.

50/50
C: Marigold

Commercial break

Kathryn is an artist who does oil paintings. Billy asks her what she wants to do with her money. She wants to visit family in the Seattle area and maybe a trip to London.

$100,000
A terabyte is a unit of computer memory roughly equal to which of the following?

A: 1000 gigabytes
B: 100,000 megabytes
C: 1,000,000 kilobytes
D: 1,000,000,000 bytes

She has a feeling what it might be, but doesn't want to risk it and leaves with $50,000.
Her guess would have been D - 1,000,000,000 bytes.

Answers:

$100 B - Banging on a gavel
$200 D - Mr. Strong
$300 B - Prince Edward Island
$500 A - Oranges
$1000 C - Rudderless
$2000 C - Michigan
$4000 A - Guinness
$8000 C - London Calling
$16000 B - Jupiter
$25000 D - Kresge
$50000 C - Silk
$50000 B - Magnolia
$100000 A - 1000 gigabytes

Bob Juch

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:58 pm

$100,000
A terabyte is a unit of computer memory roughly equal to which of the following?

She has a feeling what it might be, but doesn't want to risk it and leaves with $50,000.
Her guess would have been D - 1,000,000,000 bytes.
D is close to a gigabyte.
A terabyte is actually 1024 GB.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:46 pm

ATA on The Clash question. Both $50K's are lifeline eaters for me. Get past that to the simple (for me) $100K question, and I'm happily looking at the $250K question. Maybe no lifelines left, though, but I'd be okay with walking at that level.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

15QuestionsAway

#4 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Bob Juch wrote:D is close to a gigabyte.
A terabyte is actually 1024 GB.
Informally, but not really. BIPM, the keepers of SI (the modern metric system) have declared that the metric prefixes are always decimal. So a tera-anything is always 1000 giga-anythings.

Alternative prefixes have been proposed for factors of 2^10 (1024) based on the metric prefix names (for example tebi- for 2^40, based on tera- for 10^12), but they haven't caught on.

The hard drive manufacturers have taken advantage of this - if you look at the fine print, they'll often say that 1 gigabyte = 1 billion bytes, even if it may be commonly understood to be the larger amount 2^30 bytes.

slam

#5 Post by slam » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:32 pm

This would have been a good stack to get. I wouldn't have known the flower question, but there might have been a useful spike on an ATA. There are probably some gardeners in the audience.

The other 50K question would have been tough. Can't be tin because of "studentology". Calling a phone a friend and giving the search terms "Casimir Zeglen vest" would have yielded a wiki article with the word silk in it.

I would have been able to figure out terabyte after a few moments. I know that it goes kilo, mega, giga, tera. A bit of thinking would certainly get me to the right choice.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 4/23/2008 Kathryn Barbin

#6 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:56 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000
Similar to Legionnaires' disease, Pontiac fever is named for an outbreak that occurred in
1968 in what U.S. state?

Kathryn knows there's a Pontiac, Michigan but she's not familiar with these, so she decides to ATA.
<grumble>®

$50K: I'm leaning toward leather, but I believe that this would be a perfect Google question for a PAF. Silk was the last answer I would've guessed.

$50K #2: Although I never would've seen this question, I would've guessed correctly.

$100K: Easy. For me, at least.

Going for $250K with three lifelines.

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:56 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Transcript 4/23/2008

Kathryn Barbin
St. Cloud, MN

She wants Billy to do Meredith's signature hand move, which is reaching across and holding both hands.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:I didn't know that this was a "signature move".

She got the call to be on the show while she was in a bank opening a new account. When she told them who the call was, they offered her more options for her new account.
Too bad she won't be needing those additional options.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$2000
Similar to Legionnaires' disease, Pontiac fever is named for an outbreak that occurred in 1968 in what U.S. state?

Kathryn knows there's a Pontiac, Michigan but she's not familiar with these, so she decides to ATA.

ATA:

She made the association - too bad she was too timid to pull the trigger.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25000
A reference to the last initial of the retailer's founder, the "K" in "Kmart" stands for what?

Kathryn doesn't know and decides to phone her friend, Dan. He knows this right away.
We used to have Kresge stores in Oklahoma City when I grew up. They were five-and-dime stores (like the Ben Franklin chain).
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50000
One of the earliest bulletproof vests was invented in the 1890's when Chicago priest Casimir Zeglen fashioned one primarily out of what?

Kathryn thinks it should be leather or tin, but it might be tricky and decides to switch the question.
I might well have crashed and burned here, thinking it was "bamboo" for no particular reason. Had I had the good sense not to jump on that answer it would be time for a lifeline - the only options are PAF and STQ, so let's STQ like Kathryn did.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50000

She took botany in school, but she doesn't remember this. Billy says botany is one of those classes that you normally sleep through.

50/50
Bad choice because I don't know this one, either. My first thought was "marigold" because that famous Danny Kaye song popped into my head: "Inchworm, inchworm, measuring the marigolds..." elwing pointed out that marigolds have large blossoms, large enough for beetles to enter. But I'd have to PAF on this one.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$100,000

She has a feeling what it might be, but doesn't want to risk it and leaves with $50,000. Her guess would have been D - 1,000,000,000 bytes.
What a dream question this would have been!!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#8 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:33 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $2000
1968 in what U.S. state?

Kathryn knows there's a Pontiac, Michigan but she's not familiar with these, so she
decides to ATA.

ATA:

Did 8% of the audience really think they had a better idea of where Pontiac fever came from? :?

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25000

I also remember Kresge stores, but I couldn't recall if they had changed their name to K-Mart or if that had been thrown in there as a wicked distractor.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$50000

$50000

She took botany in school, but she doesn't remember this. Billy says botany is one of those
classes that you normally sleep through.

50/50
What a obscure pair of questions! When would anyone have learned about Casimir Zeglen's bulletproof vest or about beetles pollinating magnolias?

themanintheseersuckersuit

#9 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:53 am

from wiki
Magnolia is an ancient genus. Having evolved before bees appeared, the flowers developed to encourage pollination by beetles. As a result, the carpels of Magnolia flowers are tough, to avoid damage by eating and crawling beetles.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:54 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:from wiki
Magnolia is an ancient genus. Having evolved before bees appeared, the flowers developed to encourage pollination by beetles. As a result, the carpels of Magnolia flowers are tough, to avoid damage by eating and crawling beetles.
But where would one have heard that, if one hadn't been perusing the Wikipedia entry for magnolia?

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#11 Post by Rexer25 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:02 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
But where would one have heard that, if one hadn't been perusing the Wikipedia entry for magnolia?
Biology class? :wink:
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#12 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:03 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
I knew half of it, that magnolias are an ancient species, but probably not enough to pull the trigger. Magnolias where the odd one of the four choices. I agree with you that these were undervalued questions.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

tanstaafl2

#13 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:08 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
I suppose it could be something you would know if you lived around magnolia trees. I have a couple of small ones in my yard. My grandmother had a huge one in her front yard that seemed like it had been there about since the house was built in about 1879-80. As a kid it seemed to be 100 feet tall although it was probably only 40 or so feet in height.

Although I confess I still did not know about the "beetle" connection despite having them around. I do recall it was an apparent favorite of ants. We used to climb that tree all the time but the one down side is that it always seemed to be covered in ants.

Unfortunately only part of the tree is barely visible at the far left edge of this picture if my memory serves. Of course it rarely does.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#14 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:11 pm

I agree about magnolia trees covered in ants. USC has magnolia trees lining its main walkways. There is one in the left foreground of the university's webcam and others in the distance:

http://www.usc.edu/about/visit/upc/tommy_cam/
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

tanstaafl2

#15 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:26 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
I suppose it could be something you would know if you lived around magnolia trees. I have a couple of small ones in my yard. My grandmother had a huge one in her front yard that seemed like it had been there about since the house was built in about 1879-80. As a kid it seemed to be 100 feet tall although it was probably only 40 or so feet in height.

Although I confess I still did not know about the "beetle" connection despite having them around. I do recall it was an apparent favorite of ants. We used to climb that tree all the time but the one down side is that it always seemed to be covered in ants.

Unfortunately only part of the tree is barely visible at the far left edge of this picture if my memory serves. Of course it rarely does.
I suppose it would have been helpful to note that the picture was there for a reason! It is my grandmothers house where the magnolia climbing tree of my youth was/is located. Unfortunately this was the only picture I could find on the web and the tree is mostly out of the frame on the left. It is the darker tree to the left of the lighter tree that is next to the left side of the house.

I think. It has been awhile!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

MarleysGh0st

#16 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:38 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:I suppose it would have been helpful to note that the picture was there for a reason!
Not a very good picture of a Magnolia tree, tanstaafl, but it's a beautiful house! :)

tanstaafl2

#17 Post by tanstaafl2 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:43 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:I suppose it would have been helpful to note that the picture was there for a reason!
Not a very good picture of a Magnolia tree, tanstaafl, but it's a beautiful house! :)
Yes, very true, not much of a picture of the tree! I was posting the picture to show the house (which I didn't explain very well and sadly is no longer in the family anymore) more than the tree as I couldn't find a picture online that showed both.
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

KillerTomato

#18 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:21 pm

gsabc wrote:ATA on The Clash question. Both $50K's are lifeline eaters for me. Get past that to the simple (for me) $100K question, and I'm happily looking at the $250K question. Maybe no lifelines left, though, but I'd be okay with walking at that level.

We had this exact question recently at the bar trivia game I play on Tuesday nights (OK, not exactly, since I think it was asked the other way around...what band released an album called "London Calling" in 1979). What's funny is that had anyone called me right then, they might have gotten the answer indirectly, since the title song is my ringtone!
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

MarleysGh0st

#19 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:47 am

Here's an article about Kathryn's appearance.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pb ... 4/1041/Ent
Kathryn Barbin hasn’t decided exactly how she’ll spend the $50,000 she won on “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire,” but she has at least one idea.

“Maybe I’ll buy gasoline,” she says by telephone from her home in South Bend.
Make sure you notice the photo that's posted with the article. It definitely is not...
Kathryn Barbin, an art instructor at Indiana University South Bend, smiles at guest host Billy Bush during taping of “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.” Barbin walked away with $50,000 from the game show, which aired Wednesday on WNDU-TV.
:lol:

earendel

#20 Post by earendel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:04 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Here's an article about Kathryn's appearance.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pb ... 4/1041/Ent
Kathryn Barbin hasn’t decided exactly how she’ll spend the $50,000 she won on “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire,” but she has at least one idea.

“Maybe I’ll buy gasoline,” she says by telephone from her home in South Bend.
Make sure you notice the photo that's posted with the article. It definitely is not...
Kathryn Barbin, an art instructor at Indiana University South Bend, smiles at guest host Billy Bush during taping of “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.” Barbin walked away with $50,000 from the game show, which aired Wednesday on WNDU-TV.
:lol:
Billy must be the one on the right, in the red outfit. :lol:
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."