A tax refund question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
lilclyde54

A tax refund question

#1 Post by lilclyde54 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:22 pm

I think this place has more knowledgeable people than any other forum I visit so I have a question about a tax refund. My tax guy finished my taxes a couple of weeks ago and sent it in (electronically). I was getting around a $600 refund. After I got home, I found an error he had made with regard to our condo that we rent out. I went back to his office a couple of days later and pointed it out to him. He then re-figured everything and sent in an amended 1040. This amended return had me getting $350 back.

Now here is my dilemma. My $600 refund check arrived in the mail today. What action should I take. I am definitely not going to cash it but should I contact someone? Who- Dept of Treasury? IRS? The Baboo suggests that I just sit tight and wait on the IRS to contact me with directions on what to do.

What Say You?

BTW- Thanks in advance for any advice.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

Bob Juch

Re: A tax refund question

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:56 pm

Put the $600 in the bank and send a check for $250 to the address for making a payment if you underpaid along with a copy of the correct 1040 and a letter explaining why. I'm guessing everything was done electronically?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:36 am

lilclyde54 wrote:I think this place has more knowledgeable people than any other forum I visit so I have a question about a tax refund. My tax guy finished my taxes a couple of weeks ago and sent it in (electronically). I was getting around a $600 refund. After I got home, I found an error he had made with regard to our condo that we rent out. I went back to his office a couple of days later and pointed it out to him. He then re-figured everything and sent in an amended 1040. This amended return had me getting $350 back.

Now here is my dilemma. My $600 refund check arrived in the mail today. What action should I take. I am definitely not going to cash it but should I contact someone? Who- Dept of Treasury? IRS? The Baboo suggests that I just sit tight and wait on the IRS to contact me with directions on what to do.

What Say You?

Go to the Motley Fool's Tax Strategies forum. There are knowledgeable people there (including but not limited to ptheland and irasmilo) whom you can trust to give you good advice, and some are enrolled agents. I'd suggest you wait until after April 18 to ask your question there, because the people who know what they're doing will be pretty busy until then and your question may get lost in the shuffle. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

triviawayne

#4 Post by triviawayne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:28 am

lilclyde54 wrote:I think this place has more knowledgeable people than any other forum I visit so I have a question about a tax refund. My tax guy finished my taxes a couple of weeks ago and sent it in (electronically). I was getting around a $600 refund. After I got home, I found an error he had made with regard to our condo that we rent out. I went back to his office a couple of days later and pointed it out to him. He then re-figured everything and sent in an amended 1040. This amended return had me getting $350 back.

What Say You?

uh, you have a tax guy, he did both filings, this ain't his first rodeo...ask your tax guy.

Bob is probably correct in what will happen in the end, plus along with the letter I would send copies of both filed returns, however the payment address is likely to be different than for when you send a return with payment to be processed.

ask your tax guy, that's what you paid him for.

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:42 am

Bob78164 wrote:

What Say You?

Go to the Motley Fool's Tax Strategies forum. There are knowledgeable people there (including but not limited to ptheland and irasmilo) whom you can trust to give you good advice, and some are enrolled agents. I'd suggest you wait until after April 18 to ask your question there, because the people who know what they're doing will be pretty busy until then and your question may get lost in the shuffle. --Bob
If you wait until after the 18th, you will have to pay a penalty and interest.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:44 am

triviawayne wrote:

What Say You?

uh, you have a tax guy, he did both filings, this ain't his first rodeo...ask your tax guy.

Bob is probably correct in what will happen in the end, plus along with the letter I would send copies of both filed returns, however the payment address is likely to be different than for when you send a return with payment to be processed.

The tax guy should have been smart enough to send the repayment with the corrected return.

If you want to stay on hold for over an hour, call the IRS help line.

bazodee

#7 Post by bazodee » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:03 am

Cash the $600 check.

Then write a check for the difference. Notate 2016 1040X on your check. Reprint a blank transmittal form and write your $250 in. It will all eventually match up.

-----
As a general rule, do not file an amended return until the original return has been processed.

Bob Juch

#8 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:56 am

bazodee wrote:Cash the $600 check.

Then write a check for the difference. Notate 2016 1040X on your check. Reprint a blank transmittal form and write your $250 in. It will all eventually match up.

-----
As a general rule, do not file an amended return until the original return has been processed.
He did wait, but should have sent in the $250 with the 1040X.

triviawayne

#9 Post by triviawayne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:39 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

What Say You?

The tax guy should have been smart enough to send the repayment with the corrected return.

If you want to stay on hold for over an hour, call the IRS help line.
Except the check didn't come until after that

triviawayne

#10 Post by triviawayne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:41 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

What Say You?

No penalty or interest as any tax owed for 2016 was all paid in 2016

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:49 pm

On the very rare occasion when I paid my very uncomplicated taxes incorrectly, the IRS billed me but didn't apply any penalties. On the even rarer occasion when I undercalcuated my refund, they just sent it to me.

They have occasionally marked that I did something wrong which I provably have not done wrong, but it has never been, literally, worth pursuing; in one case they said "you did this wrong", though I hadn't, & have sent me my calculated refund anyway.

What really irks me is when they send me a check, even though I've clearly marked my bank account & routing # that I want the $$ sent to. IRS is not the only entity that has disregarded my bank account info when sending me $$.

I don't have a secure mailbox in any way. I could buy one at the PO I guess.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:50 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Go to the Motley Fool's Tax Strategies forum. There are knowledgeable people there (including but not limited to ptheland and irasmilo) whom you can trust to give you good advice, and some are enrolled agents. I'd suggest you wait until after April 18 to ask your question there, because the people who know what they're doing will be pretty busy until then and your question may get lost in the shuffle. --Bob
But then they refunded too much so there would be.

bazodee

#13 Post by bazodee » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

-----
As I read the question, he did not wait. He filed an amended return before receiving the original (incorrect) refund back. After receiving the refund, then he should have filed the 1040X including the $250.... In other words, the amended return and additional payment should happen simultaneously, and should happen after processing of the original return had been completed.

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:18 pm

bazodee wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

-----
As I read the question, he did not wait. He filed an amended return before receiving the original (incorrect) refund back. After receiving the refund, then he should have filed the 1040X including the $250.... In other words, the amended return and additional payment should happen simultaneously, and should happen after processing of the original return had been completed.
You're right, he didn't wait. I guess he was hoping the correction would be processed before the incorrect refund was issued.

triviawayne

#15 Post by triviawayne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: If you wait until after the 18th, you will have to pay a penalty and interest.

Apples and oranges; there would be no penalty

lilclyde54

#16 Post by lilclyde54 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:46 pm

Thanks everyone. I knew there would be good advice here.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:29 am

triviawayne wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

Only if he paid on or before the 18th.

triviawayne

#18 Post by triviawayne » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:59 am

Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: But then they refunded too much so there would be.

the date won't change this to apples and apples or oranges and oranges

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:19 am

triviawayne wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

There is a penalty for paying your taxes late.

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:57 am

Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Only if he paid on or before the 18th.
Not in all cases. In many instances it being you owing more the current year than the previous year. Interest likely will apply but no penalty.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob Juch

#21 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:34 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Not in all cases. In many instances it being you owing more the current year than the previous year. Interest likely will apply but no penalty.
If I understand what you're talking about, that would have no penalty nor interest.

triviawayne

#22 Post by triviawayne » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:57 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Only if he paid on or before the 18th.
which isn't what happened here

Bob Juch

#23 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:22 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Well it would if he waits until after the 18th. :roll:

triviawayne

#24 Post by triviawayne » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:16 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: There is a penalty for paying your taxes late.
Still apples and oranges

Bob Juch

#25 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:14 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Still apples and oranges
With which do you pay your taxes?