100 years ago today

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

100 years ago today

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:36 am

The U.S. declared war against the German Empire and the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

I'm surprised that seems to be overlooked.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SpacemanSpiff

Re: 100 years ago today

#2 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Sadly, this wouldn't be the first time that war has been forgotten. In fact, it seems like America tried to forget it as soon as the troops came back. From the return to isolationism, the refusal to ratify the Treaty of Versailles, to the treatment of the Bonus Army, it was as if we wanted to refuse its existence.

I swear, I probably learned more about WWI from watching and reading Peanuts until I went to college; even high school history blipped over it.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:18 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:Sadly, this wouldn't be the first time that war has been forgotten. In fact, it seems like America tried to forget it as soon as the troops came back. From the return to isolationism, the refusal to ratify the Treaty of Versailles, to the treatment of the Bonus Army, it was as if we wanted to refuse its existence.

I swear, I probably learned more about WWI from watching and reading Peanuts until I went to college; even high school history blipped over it.
Does anyone really learn anything from high school, or even college, history courses? I put my knowledge of history above most high school history teachers and all I remember from my one college history course taken in the 80's was "Sacco and Vanzetti" and the teacher bitching about Reagan's Nicaragua policy.

My history is self-taught, as most of everybody's here is.

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:44 am

Spock wrote:Does anyone really learn anything from high school, or even college, history courses? I put my knowledge of history above most high school history teachers and all I remember from my one college history course taken in the 80's was "Sacco and Vanzetti" and the teacher bitching about Reagan's Nicaragua policy.

I took just the minimum required American history courses in high school, and none in college. Luckily, I had an excellent high school history teacher, Dr. Scott.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:58 am

Spock wrote:
SpacemanSpiff wrote:Sadly, this wouldn't be the first time that war has been forgotten. In fact, it seems like America tried to forget it as soon as the troops came back. From the return to isolationism, the refusal to ratify the Treaty of Versailles, to the treatment of the Bonus Army, it was as if we wanted to refuse its existence.

Does anyone really learn anything from high school, or even college, history courses? I put my knowledge of history above most high school history teachers and all I remember from my one college history course taken in the 80's was "Sacco and Vanzetti" and the teacher bitching about Reagan's Nicaragua policy.

Well I did. My grammar school History was nothing more than memorizing events and dates with no connection between them. High school History was very good but didn't get into too much more than the details with no reasoning behind the politics. I had a History class at UCLA by a professor whose name I don't recall right now but who was an expert on the Civil War that was great; the one problem is that there were over 200 student in the class so asking questions was hit or miss.

I've learned far more on my own of course. It's too bad the average American doesn't read much history and if they do it's some junk like Killing Lincoln.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.