Game #167: Ready for My Close-Up

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mellytu74

Re: Game #167: Ready for My Close-Up

#51 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:25 pm

William Wellman = Story of GI Joe and (I wanted) Wings
Penny Marshall = A League of Their Own and Big (Country)
Gregory LaCava = My Man Godfrey and Stage Door (Canteen)
WS Van Dyke = Manhattan Melodrama and (Homeward Bound) San Francisco

mellytu74

#52 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:38 pm

Vincente Minnelli -= The Band Wagon and (Rock Around) The Clock

I will do a consolidation shortly

mellytu74

#53 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:21 pm

I think I have everything.

Identify the 140 movies below. Match them into 100 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Sixty movies will be used twice, each time in a different capacity.

Tangredi … Director of a film (and a film title contained within another film)

Matches
Albert Brooks = 51. MOTHER (WAS A FRESHMAN) + 84. LOST IN AMERICA
Alfred Hitchcock = 135. (RANCHO) NOTORIOUS + 46. NORTH BY NORTHWEST
John Frankenheimer = 96. (THROW MAMMA FROM) THE TRAIN + 125. THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
The Coen Brothers = 33. (WELLS) FARGO + 94. RAISING ARIZONA
Billy Wilder = 34. WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION and 111. (THE TAKING OF PELHAM) ONE TWO THREE
Tod Browning = 62. DRACULA + 116. (EIGHT LEGGED) FREAKS
Robert Aldrich = 69. FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX + 82. (AMERICAN) HUSTLE
Orson Welles = 140. CITIZEN KANE + 31. THE TRIAL (OF BILLY JACK)
Steven Spielberg = 78. CATCH ME IF YOU CAN + 29. (NIGHT TRAIN TO) MUNICH
William Wyler = 79. THE BIG (COUNTRY) + 25. (VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR) CARRIE
William Wellman = 107. THE STORY OF GI JOE + 21. (I WANTED) WINGS
Penny Marshall = 60. A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN + 79. BIG (COUNTRY)
Gregory LaCava = 124. MY MAN GODFREY + 61. STAGE DOOR (CANTEEN)
WS Van Dyke = 87. MANHATTAN MELODRAMA + 39. (HOMEWARD BOUND II: LOST IN) SAN FRANCISCO
Vincente Minnelli = 88. THE BAND WAGON + 53. (ROCK AROUND ) THE CLOCK
Howard Hughes = 70. THE OUTLAW (JOSEY WALES) + 130. HELL'S ANGELS
Costa Gavras = 91. Z + 13. (BUNNY LAKE IS) MISSING

POSSIBLE PARTIALS
20. A FACE IN THE CROWD = THE CROWD
38. PATHS OF GLORY = GLORY
44. MICHAEL CLAYTON = MICHAEL
46. NORTH BY NORTHWEST = NORTH
58. BEFORE SUNRISE = SUNRISE
64. IN OLD CHICAGO = CHICAGO
65. CLEOPATRA JONES = CLEOPATRA
81. VANYA ON 42ND STREET = 42ND STREET
87. MANHATTAN MELODRAMA = MANHATTAN
93. HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE = CAVALCADE
123. STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER = STRIPES
54. ROAD TO MOROCCO = MOROCCO
45. DARLING LILI = DARLING
59. THE EYES OF LAURA MARS = LAURA
63. THE HARVEY GIRLS = HARVEY
43. THE GYPSY MOTHS = GYPSY
121. IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME = SUMMERTIME
86. JULIE AND JULIA = JULIA

Movies
1. This comedy was not even included on the first AFI list of “100 Years … 100 Movies,” but on the 10th Anniversary List, it showed up in 18th place – the second-highest ranking for any silent film
THE GENERAL?

2. BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID

3. This influential New Wave film consists entirely of a conversation between a French actress and a Japanese architect)
HIROSHIMA, MON AMOR?

4. THE MALTESE FALCON

5. Reportedly, the studio considered filming two different endings to this socially conscious comedy, to test which of its two leading men audiences preferred to see wind up with Jean Arthur.
TALK OF THE TOWN?

6. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

7. This movie about drug addiction was based on a Broadway hit by a playwright who, seventeen years later, would earn an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

8. THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

9. Many of the scenes in this movie were filmed through a mirror, since the actor playing the lead role couldn’t quite manage to live up to the title of the movie.
PRIDE OF THE YANKEES

10. “It was an old tradition. Only the most dutiful of daughters would put her own flesh in a soup to save her mother's life. My mother did this with her whole heart even though my grandmother had disowned her. This is how a daughter honors her mother. The pain of the flesh is nothing. The pain you must forget. This is the most important sacrifice a daughter can make for her mother.”

11. CAMELOT
12. MOMMIE DEAREST
13. BUNNy LAKE IS MISSING
14. KINDERGARTEN COP
15. THIS SPORTING LIFE
16. SUPERMAN II

17. For his role in this movie, Bob Dylan was nominated for a Golden Turkey Award for Worst Performance by a Singer. (He lost to Tony Bennett.)
PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID?

18. SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

19. To ward off threatened protests by the American Legion, Columbia Pictures made a short film to accompany this movie in which business professors decried its iconic lead character. (Ah, the 1950s….)
THE SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS? THE CRUCIBLE?

20. A FACE IN THE CROWD
21. I WANTED WINGS
22. BEING JOHN MALKOVICH
23. BRIGHT STAR
24. AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON
25. VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE
26. THELMA AND LOUISE

27. Stephen Schwartz’s version of this classic film comedy never reached Broadway, but has since attained major cult status among musical theatre aficionados.
THE BAKER'S WIFE?

28. PLATOON
29. NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH
30. HIS GIRL FRIDAY
31. THE TRIAL OF BILLY JACK
32. POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE
33. WELLS FARGO
34. WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

35. The fourth installment of a highly lucrative franchise, it was actually based on an award-winning fantasy novel unrelated to the rest of the series.

36. “A brick wall ... a brick wall ... I must think of a brick wall ... a brick wall ... I must think of a brick wall ... a brick wall ... brick wall ... I must think of a brick wall.... It's almost half past eight ... brick wall ... only a few seconds more ... brick wall ... brick wall ... brick wall ... nearly over ... a brick wall....”

37. Antiwar activist Stan Goff said that agreeing to act as military consultant for this actioner – which he dubbed “yet another male revenge fantasy” – was the worst mistake he ever made. (What was he expecting from Ah-nold, pacifism?)

38. PATHS OF GLORY
39. HOMEWARD BOUND II: LOST IN SAN FRANCISCO

40. “I thought that I liked what Michael was doing to me, and it felt different from Jack, more gentle. And more exciting. And I thought how different Michael was from Jack. How much deeper his vision of life was. And I thought Michael was a hedgehog and Jack was a fox. And then I thought Judy was a fox and Gabe was a hedgehog. And I thought about all the people I knew, and which were hedgehogs and which were foxes. Al Simon, a friend, was a hedgehog, and his wife Jenny was a hedgehog. And Cindy Salkind was a fox. And Lou Patrino was a hedgehog.”

41. MEET DANNY WILSON

42. ROCKY
43. THE GYPSY MOTHS
44. MICHAEL CLAYTON

45. Speaking of flops and nude scenes, the troubled making of this musical inspired a later film in which another English actress famously bared her breasts.
STAR? DARLING LILI?

46. NORTH BY NORTHWEST

47. A collapsible kayak is just one of the props that bedevils the pipe-smoking hero of this comedy, who went on to bumble his way through four more films.
BOUDU SAVED FROM DROWNING

48. THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER

49. This 1958 film was based on the second novel by the author of Bonjour Tristesse.

50. “You are probably going to be a very successful computer person. But you're going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an a**hole.”
THE SOCIAL NETWORK?

51. MOTHER WAS A FRESHMAN
52. THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER
53. ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK
54. ROAD TO MOROCCO

55. The subject of this biopic was posthumously inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame four years before the movie was released.
THE HURRICANE?

56. MURPHY'S ROMANCE
57. THE RETURN OF MARTIN GUERRE
58. BEFORE SUNRISE
59. THE EYES OF LAURA MARS
60. A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN
61. STAGE DOOR CANTEEN
62. DRACULA
63. THE HARVEY GIRLS
64. IN OLD CHICAGO
65. CLEOPATRA JONES
66. SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS

67. This 1921 horror film is perhaps the greatest masterpiece of Sweden’s Golden Age.

68. IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD
69. FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX

70. “I came here to die with you. Or live with you. Dying ain't hard for men like you and me. It's living that's hard when all you've ever cared about has been butchered or raped.”
THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES? GLADIATOR?

71. The victim of the mob hit cited in the title of this Indie movie was played by Soto Joe Hugh – and if you’ve never heard of him, it’s because he never made another film appearance.

72. A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

73. When this 1975 film was first shown in the United States, one distributor threw his coffee cup at the screen in frustration over the lack of a solution to its central mystery.

74. “I want that account!”
“Why would I give it to you?”
“Who can sell d**k drug better than me?”

75. This Franco-Austrian film about a masochistic music instructor won the Grand Prix at Cannes in 2001.

76. THE NAKED GUN

77. There are no dialogue title cards in this silent classic, and all of the street signs are in Esperanto.

78. CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
79. THE BIG COUNTRY
80. AIR FORCE ONE
81. VANYA ON 42ND STREET
82. AMERICAN HUSTLE
83. BLACK SWAN
84. LOST IN AMERICA

85. This film is retroactively considered the first part of a trilogy that also includes Shame and The Passion of Anna.
INTOLERANCE?

86. JULIE AND JULIA
87. MANHATTAN MELODRAMA
88. THE BAND WAGON

89. With the release of this film, its creator became the first American animator since Disney to have two financial successes in a row.

90. 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU
91. Z
92. THE SOUND OF MUSIC
93. HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE
94. RAISING ARIZONA

95. The house that provided the setting and title for this 1975 documentary was subsequently purchased and renovated by Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee.
THE EXORCIST? GREY GARDENS?

96. THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN
97. THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT
98. KING KONG

99. This movie was based on the Broadway flop Orpheus Descending by Tennessee Williams.

100. “You wanna get high, man?”
“Does Howdy Doody got wooden balls, man?”

101. DEATH IN VENICE

102. “You see, I have a gift. An instinct for sensing people's weaknesses. Yours is women. Hers and mine are winning, whatever the cost. So when I arranged for that fatal overdose for the true victor at Sydney, I won myself my very own MI6 agent, using everything at my disposal - her brains, her talent, even her sex.”

103. THE FRONT PAGE
104. CHINATOWN

105. The climactic battle scene in this film influenced such later films as Spartacus, Olivier’s Henry V, and The Empire Strikes Back, while its Prokofiev score was used directly in one of Woody Allen’s funniest movies.
BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN?

106. ARGO
107. THE STORY OF GI JOE

108. “My poor mother-in-law died three days ago. I'm attending her funeral this afternoon.”
“Isn't that terrible, Mr. Wolfinger!”
“Yes, it's terrible. It's awful. Horrible tragedy.”
“It must be hard to lose your mother-in-law.”
“Yes it is, very hard. It's almost impossible.”

109. This was the first talkie for both an Oscar-winning actor and his native country.

110. “The normal question, the first question is always, are these cannibals? No, they are not cannibals. Cannibalism in the true sense of the word implies an intrapecies activity. These creatures cannot be considered human. They prey on humans. They do not prey on each other - that's the difference. They attack and they feed only on warm human flesh.”

111. THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE (original)

112. “You humans are very curious to us. You invite us to live among you in an atmosphere of equality that we've never known before. You give us ownership of our own lives for the first time and you ask no more of us than you do of yourselves. I hope you understand how special your world is, how unique a people you humans are. Which is why it is all the more painful and confusing to us that so few of you seem capable of living up to the ideals you set for yourselves.”
ALIEN NATION?

113. The native huts in this lush Pre-Code romance were reused a year later in the film cited in Clue #98.
ECSTASY?

114. “Look, why don't you stop pressing? Mrs. Crandall might have been interested in your product, but Mrs. Markham is not.”
“You're taking an awful lot for granted, aren't you?”
“Strange; I was thinking the same thing about you.”
“Why? Just because I'm being friendly?”
“You're about as friendly as a suction pump.”

115. HAMLET (Kenneth Branagh version)
116. EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS

117. Sidney Poitier was at the peak of his popularity when he appeared in this, his only out-and-out romantic comedy.
FOR LOVE OF IVY?

118. “But sweetheart, I can't be your mother!”
“Why not?”
“Well ... look at me!”

119. This stoner comedy was based on Peter Farrelly’s experience at a prep school in Connecticut, but he later disavowed it.

120. RANDOM HARVEST
121. IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME

122. “There's only one little operation performed here, Mama! It's on the brain! It's called a lobotomy! You may have heard of it, or read about it, I know I have! They bore holes into your skull!”

123. STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER
124. MY MAN GODFREY
125. THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE

126. “My father owned the zoo, and I was delivered on short notice by a herpetologist, who was there to check on the Bengal monitor lizard. Mother and I were both healthy, but the poor lizard escaped and was trampled by a frightened cassowary. The way of karma, huh? The way of God.”

127. COPS AND ROBBERSONS
128. NATIONAL VELVET

129. This family-friendly movie starring Opie’s kid brother became a family-friendly television series starring Opie’s kid brother.
GENTLE BEN?

130. HELL'S ANGELS

131. This was the only Meryl Streep movie to win an Oscar for Best Visual Effects.
DEATH BECOMES HER?

132. “I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
STAND BY ME?

133. STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON
134. THE PHILADELPHIA STORY
135. RANCHO NOTORIOUS
136. MIDNIGHT COWBOY

137. This is the film that introduced us to the Oceana Roll.
TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE?

138. GONE WITH THE WIND

139. Released the same year as the previous movie, this French film was a critical and box office bomb; thirteen years later, it was included on Sight and Sound’s inaugural list of the ten best films ever made.
RULES OF THE GAME?

140. CITIZEN KANE

silverscreenselect

#54 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:42 pm

Ridley Scott directed Alien (Nation) and Thelma and Louise.
Richard Lester directed (The Girl Can't) Help and Superman II

If one of the remaining films is The Wolf of Wall Street, that would yield Wall Street and a match with Platoon and Oliver Stone.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mellytu74

#55 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:50 pm

77. There are no dialogue title cards in this silent classic, and all of the street signs are in Esperanto.

I am pretty sure this has to be Murnau's THE LAST LAUGH to give us

FW Murnau = 77. THE LAST LAUGH + 58. (BEFORE) SUNRISE

silverscreenselect

#56 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Ben Affleck directed Argo and (The Talk of) The Town

mellytu74

#57 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 pm

Henry King = 64. IN OLD CHICAGO + 41. (MEET DANNY) WILSON

silverscreenselect

#58 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 pm

David Fincher directed (Rules of) The Game and The Social Network

mellytu74

#59 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Sam Wood = 117. (FOR LOVE OF) IVY + 72. A NIGHT AT THE OPERA

I think we need a Joshua Logan movie (and there aren't that many) to complete Camelot.

silverscreenselect

#60 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Martin Ritt directed Murphy's Romance and The Front (Page)

mellytu74

#61 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:17 pm

Jonathan Demme = 134. PHILADELPHIA (STORY) + 18. SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

Otto Preminger = 59. (THE EYES OF) LAURA +13. BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING
Last edited by mellytu74 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silverscreenselect

#62 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:21 pm

I did double check this one to be sure.

F. Gary Gray directed (His Girl) Friday and Straight Outta Compton.

mellytu74

#63 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:27 pm

67. This 1921 horror film is perhaps the greatest masterpiece of Sweden’s Golden Age.

I am going out on a (short) limb and say this is something directed by Victor Sjostrom to give us

Victor Sjostrom = 67. Swedish movie + 138. (GONE WITH) THE WIND

Rob Reiner = 46. NORTH (BY NORTHWEST) + 132. STAND BY ME

Blake Edwards = 45. DARLING LILI + 90. 10 (THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU)

mellytu74

#64 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:22 am

What we have unanswered and filing in some movies

Movies

1. This comedy was not even included on the first AFI list of “100 Years … 100 Movies,” but on the 10th Anniversary List, it showed up in 18th place – the second-highest ranking for any silent film
THE GENERAL - confirmed

3. This influential New Wave film consists entirely of a conversation between a French actress and a Japanese architect)
HIROSHIMA, MON AMOR

7. This movie about drug addiction was based on a Broadway hit by a playwright who, seventeen years later, would earn an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor.

Still nothing.

9. Many of the scenes in this movie were filmed through a mirror, since the actor playing the lead role couldn’t quite manage to live up to the title of the movie.

Could this be The BABE RUTH STORY? Because it would give us Babe to go with Mad Max's George Miller.

10. “It was an old tradition. Only the most dutiful of daughters would put her own flesh in a soup to save her mother's life. My mother did this with her whole heart even though my grandmother had disowned her. This is how a daughter honors her mother. The pain of the flesh is nothing. The pain you must forget. This is the most important sacrifice a daughter can make for her mother.”

JOY LUCK CLUB

17. For his role in this movie, Bob Dylan was nominated for a Golden Turkey Award for Worst Performance by a Singer. (He lost to Tony Bennett.)
PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID - confirmed

19. To ward off threatened protests by the American Legion, Columbia Pictures made a short film to accompany this movie in which business professors decried its iconic lead character. (Ah, the 1950s….)

DEATH OF A SALESMAN - No idea who directed

27. Stephen Schwartz’s version of this classic film comedy never reached Broadway, but has since attained major cult status among musical theatre aficionados.

THE BAKER'S WIFE

35. The fourth installment of a highly lucrative franchise, it was actually based on an award-winning fantasy novel unrelated to the rest of the series.

36. “A brick wall ... a brick wall ... I must think of a brick wall ... a brick wall ... I must think of a brick wall ... a brick wall ... brick wall ... I must think of a brick wall.... It's almost half past eight ... brick wall ... only a few seconds more ... brick wall ... brick wall ... brick wall ... nearly over ... a brick wall....”

VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED

37. Antiwar activist Stan Goff said that agreeing to act as military consultant for this actioner – which he dubbed “yet another male revenge fantasy” – was the worst mistake he ever made. (What was he expecting from Ah-nold, pacifism?)

COLLATERAL DAMAGE

40. “I thought that I liked what Michael was doing to me, and it felt different from Jack, more gentle. And more exciting. And I thought how different Michael was from Jack. How much deeper his vision of life was. And I thought Michael was a hedgehog and Jack was a fox. And then I thought Judy was a fox and Gabe was a hedgehog. And I thought about all the people I knew, and which were hedgehogs and which were foxes. Al Simon, a friend, was a hedgehog, and his wife Jenny was a hedgehog. And Cindy Salkind was a fox. And Lou Patrino was a hedgehog.”

HUSBANDS AND WIVES - WHICH goes with Manhattan (Melodrama) for Woody Allen.

And possibly John Cassavetes

49. This 1958 film was based on the second novel by the author of Bonjour Tristesse.

The is A CERTAIN SMILE. Could there be another Michael Ritchie picture?

55. The subject of this biopic was posthumously inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame four years before the movie was released.

THE HURRICANE? Can't be. Carter didn't die until 2014.

How about GENTLEMAN JIM Corbett? Raoul Walsh directed.

71. The victim of the mob hit cited in the title of this Indie movie was played by Soto Joe Hugh – and if you’ve never heard of him, it’s because he never made another film appearance.

THE KILLING OF A CHINESE BOOKIE... which finished up Cassavetes

73. When this 1975 film was first shown in the United States, one distributor threw his coffee cup at the screen in frustration over the lack of a solution to its central mystery.

PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK ... which gets us our missing Joshua Logan move

And gives us Peter Weir with Witness

74. “I want that account!”
“Why would I give it to you?”
“Who can sell d**k drug better than me?”

LOVE AND OTHER DRUGS

75. This Franco-Austrian film about a masochistic music instructor won the Grand Prix at Cannes in 2001.

THE PIANO TEACHER

85. This film is retroactively considered the first part of a trilogy that also includes Shame and The Passion of Anna.

HOUR OF THE WOLF

89. With the release of this film, its creator became the first American animator since Disney to have two financial successes in a row.

95. The house that provided the setting and title for this 1975 documentary was subsequently purchased and renovated by Washington Post editor Ben Bradlee.
GREY GARDENS

99. This movie was based on the Broadway flop Orpheus Descending by Tennessee Williams.

THE FUGITIVE KIND

100. “You wanna get high, man?”
“Does Howdy Doody got wooden balls, man?”

UP IN SMOKE

102. “You see, I have a gift. An instinct for sensing people's weaknesses. Yours is women. Hers and mine are winning, whatever the cost. So when I arranged for that fatal overdose for the true victor at Sydney, I won myself my very own MI6 agent, using everything at my disposal - her brains, her talent, even her sex.”

DIE ANOTHER DAY

105. The climactic battle scene in this film influenced such later films as Spartacus, Olivier’s Henry V, and The Empire Strikes Back, while its Prokofiev score was used directly in one of Woody Allen’s funniest movies.

ALEXANDER NEVSKY?

108. “My poor mother-in-law died three days ago. I'm attending her funeral this afternoon.”
“Isn't that terrible, Mr. Wolfinger!”
“Yes, it's terrible. It's awful. Horrible tragedy.”
“It must be hard to lose your mother-in-law.”
“Yes it is, very hard. It's almost impossible.”

MAN ON THE FLYING TRAPEZE

109. This was the first talkie for both an Oscar-winning actor and his native country.

THE BLUE ANGEL? If it is, it gives us Von Sternberg for Morocco.

110. “The normal question, the first question is always, are these cannibals? No, they are not cannibals. Cannibalism in the true sense of the word implies an intrapecies activity. These creatures cannot be considered human. They prey on humans. They do not prey on each other - that's the difference. They attack and they feed only on warm human flesh.”

DAWN OF THE DEAD

113. The native huts in this lush Pre-Code romance were reused a year later in the film cited in Clue #98.

THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME.

114. “Look, why don't you stop pressing? Mrs. Crandall might have been interested in your product, but Mrs. Markham is not.”
“You're taking an awful lot for granted, aren't you?”
“Strange; I was thinking the same thing about you.”
“Why? Just because I'm being friendly?”
“You're about as friendly as a suction pump.”

FEMALE ON THE BEACH. Which gives us ON THE BEACH to go with IAMMMMMW and Stanley Kramer.

118. “But sweetheart, I can't be your mother!”
“Why not?”
“Well ... look at me!”

SECRETS AND LIES

119. This stoner comedy was based on Peter Farrelly’s experience at a prep school in Connecticut, but he later disavowed it.

OUTSIDE PROVIDENCE

122. “There's only one little operation performed here, Mama! It's on the brain! It's called a lobotomy! You may have heard of it, or read about it, I know I have! They bore holes into your skull!”

SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER (should have gotten this earlier)

I think this will gives us Cleopatra's Joseph Mankiewicz

126. "My father owned the zoo, and I was delivered on short notice by a herpetologist, who was there to check on the Bengal monitor lizard. Mother and I were both healthy, but the poor lizard escaped and was trampled by a frightened cassowary. The way of karma, huh? The way of God. "

LIFE OF PI

129. This family-friendly movie starring Opie’s kid brother became a family-friendly television series starring Opie’s kid brother.

The movie was called GENTLE GIANT. Giant leads me to believe we have a George Stevens movie here.

131. This was the only Meryl Streep movie to win an Oscar for Best Visual Effects.

DEATH BECOMES HER

137. This is the film that introduced us to the Oceana Roll.

THE GOLD RUSH

silverscreenselect

#65 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:02 pm

mellytu74 wrote:

VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED

COLLATERAL DAMAGE
This frees a few things up.

Luchino Visconti directed (Village of) The Damned and Death in Venice.

Andrew Davis directed The Fugitive (Kind) and Collateral Damage.

I tried to find a Michael Mann film for Collateral, then realized I was looking at the wrong word.

Louis Malle directed (Collateral) Damage and Vanya on 42nd Street.

silverscreenselect

#66 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:04 pm

mellytu74 wrote:

ALEXANDER NEVSKY?
This has to be right, because it yields Alexander, to go with Platoon for Oliver Stone.

silverscreenselect

#67 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:08 pm

mellytu74 wrote:

SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER (should have gotten this earlier)
This yields Last Summer, a movie that made a great impression on me as a teenager because it was the first time I saw Barbara Hershey without her clothes on.

And it was directed by Frank Perry, who also directed Mommy Dearest.

mellytu74

#68 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:01 pm

It's Jack Nicholson's birthday!! And there will be a consolidation soon

Mike Nichols = 85. (HOUR OF THE)WOLF + 32. POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE

Joshua Logan = 11. CAMELOT + 73. PICNIC (AT HANGING ROCK)
Frank Perry = 122. (SUDDENLY) LAST SUMMER + 12. MOMMIE DEAREST
Oliver Stone = 105. ALEXANDER (NEVSKY) + 28. PLATOON
John Cassavetes = 71. THE KILLING OF A CHINESE BOOKIE + 40. HUSBANDS (AND WIVES)
Jane Campion = 75. THE PIANO (TEACHER) + 23. BRIGHT STAR
Luchino Visconti directed (Village of) The Damned and Death in Venice.
Andrew Davis directed The Fugitive (Kind) and Collateral Damage.
Louis Malle directed (Collateral) Damage and Vanya on 42nd Street.

mellytu74

#69 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:08 pm

Frank Lloyd - 33. WELLS FARGO + 93. (HOLLYWOOD) CAVALCADE
John Huston - 4. THE MALTESE FALCON + 110. (DAWN OF ) THE DEAD
George Stevens - 5. TALK OF THE TOWN + 129. (GENTLE) GIANT

mellytu74

#70 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:29 pm

Mervyn LeRoy - 43. GYPSY (MOTHS) + 120. RANDOM HARVEST

David Lean - 8. THE BRIDGE ....RIVER KWAI + 121. (IN THE GOOD OLD) SUMMERTIME

mellytu74

#71 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:11 pm

I think this is everything.... There are some directors for whom we don't have a second movie yet (Cukor, Lubitsch, Clarence Brown, etc.) who I am sure are here.

Identify the 140 movies below. Match them into 100 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Sixty movies will be used twice, each time in a different capacity.

Tangredi … Director of a film (and a film title contained within another film)

Matches

Albert Brooks = 51. MOTHER (WAS A FRESHMAN) and 84. LOST IN AMERICA
Alfred Hitchcock = 135. (RANCHO) NOTORIOUS and 46. NORTH BY NORTHWEST
John Frankenheimer = 96. (THROW MAMMA FROM) THE TRAIN and 125. THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
The Coen Brothers = 33. (WELLS) FARGO and 94. RAISING ARIZONA
Billy Wilder = 34. WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION and 111. (THE TAKING OF PELHAM) ONE TWO THREE
Tod Browning = 62. DRACULA and 116. (EIGHT LEGGED) FREAKS
Robert Aldrich = 69. FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX and 82. (AMERICAN) HUSTLE
Orson Welles = 140. CITIZEN KANE and 31. THE TRIAL (OF BILLY JACK)
Steven Spielberg = 78. CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and 29. (NIGHT TRAIN TO) MUNICH
William Wyler = 79. THE BIG COUNTRY and 25. (VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR) CARRIE
William Wellman = 107. THE STORY OF GI JOE and 21. (I WANTED) WINGS
Penny Marshall = 60. A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN and 79. BIG (COUNTRY)
Gregory LaCava = 124. MY MAN GODFREY and 61. STAGE DOOR (CANTEEN)
WS Van Dyke = 87. MANHATTAN MELODRAMA and 39. (HOMEWARD BOUND II: LOST IN) SAN FRANCISCO
Vincente Minnelli = 88. THE BAND WAGON and 53. (ROCK AROUND ) THE CLOCK
Howard Hughes = 70. THE OUTLAW (JOSEY WALES) and 130. HELL'S ANGELS
Costa Gavras = 91. Z and 13. (BUNNY LAKE IS) MISSING
FW Murnau = 77. THE LAST LAUGH and 58. (BEFORE) SUNRISE
Rob Reiner = 46. NORTH (BY NORTHWEST) and 132. STAND BY ME
Blake Edwards = 45. DARLING LILI and 90. 10 (THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU)
Mike Nichols = 85. (HOUR OF THE)WOLF and 32. POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE
Joshua Logan = 11. CAMELOT and 73. PICNIC (AT HANGING ROCK)
Frank Perry = 122. (SUDDENLY) LAST SUMMER and 12. MOMMIE DEAREST
Oliver Stone = 105. ALEXANDER (NEVSKY) and 28. PLATOON
John Cassavetes = 71. THE KILLING OF A CHINESE BOOKIE and 40. HUSBANDS (AND WIVES)
Jane Campion = 75. THE PIANO (TEACHER) and 23. BRIGHT STAR
Henry King = 64. IN OLD CHICAGO and 41. (MEET DANNY) WILSON
Sam Wood = 117. (FOR LOVE OF) IVY and 72. A NIGHT AT THE OPERA
Jonathan Demme = 134. PHILADELPHIA (STORY) and 18. SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
Otto Preminger = 59. (THE EYES OF) LAURA and13. BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING
Victor Sjostrom = 67. Swedish movie and 138. (GONE WITH) THE WIND
Frank Lloyd - 33. WELLS FARGO and 93. (HOLLYWOOD) CAVALCADE
John Huston - 4. THE MALTESE FALCON and 110. (DAWN OF ) THE DEAD
George Stevens - 5. TALK OF THE TOWN and 129. (GENTLE) GIANT
Mervyn LeRoy - 43. GYPSY (MOTHS) and 120. RANDOM HARVEST
David Lean - 8. THE BRIDGE ....RIVER KWAI and 121. (IN THE GOOD OLD) SUMMERTIME
Joe Mankiewicz - 65. CLEOPATRA (JONES) and 122. SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Luchino Visconti = 36. (VILLAGE OF ) THE DAMNED and 101. DEATH IN VENICE
Andrew Davis = 99. THE FUGITIVE (KIND) and 37. COLLATERAL DAMAGE
Louis Malle = 37. (COLLATERAL) DAMAGE and 81. VANYA ON 42ND STREET
Ridley Scott = 112. ALIEN (NATION) and 26. THELMA AND LOUISE
Richard Lester = 97. (THE GIRL CAN'T) HELP and 16. SUPERMAN II
Ben Affleck = 106. ARGO and 5. (TALK OF) THE TOWN
David Fincher = 139. (RULES OF) THE GAME and 50. THE SOCIAL NETWORK
Martin Ritt = 56. MURPHY'S ROMANCE and 103. THE FRONT (PAGE)
F. Gary Gray = 30. (HIS GIRL) FRIDAY and 133. STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON
Josef von Sternberg = 109. THE BLUE ANGEL and 54. (ROAD TO) MOROCCO
Lloyd Bacon = 81. (VANYA ON) 42ND STREET and 51. MOTHER WAS A FRESHMAN
Woody Allen = 40. HUSBANDS AND WIVES and 87. MANHATTAN (MELODRAMA)
John Schlesinger = 45. DARLING (LILI) and 136. MIDNIGHT COWBOY
Mitchell Leisen = 136. MIDNIGHT (COWBOY) and 21. I WANTED WINGS
Peter Weir = 34. WITNESS (FOR THE PROSECUTION) and 73. PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK
Stanley Kubrick + 114. (FEMALE) ON THE BEACH and 68. IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

POSSIBLE PARTIALS
20. A FACE IN THE CROWD = THE CROWD (King Vidor directed this and the Joel McCrea Billy the Kid but that’s two parens, so it doesn’t work)
38. PATHS OF GLORY = GLORY = Zwick
44. MICHAEL CLAYTON = MICHAEL
64. IN OLD CHICAGO = CHICAGO
123. STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER = STRIPES
63. THE HARVEY GIRLS = HARVEY

Movies
1. THE GENERAL
2. BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID
3. HIROSHIMA, MON AMOR
*4. THE MALTESE FALCON
**5. TALK OF THE TOWN
6. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

*8. THE BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER KWAI

10. JOY LUCK CLUB
*11. CAMELOT
*12. MOMMIE DEAREST
**13. BUNNy LAKE IS MISSING
14. KINDERGARTEN COP
15. THIS SPORTING LIFE
*16. SUPERMAN II
17. PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID
*18. SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

DEATH OF A SALESMAN

20. A FACE IN THE CROWD
**21. I WANTED WINGS
22. BEING JOHN MALKOVICH
*23. BRIGHT STAR
24. AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON
*25. VALIANT IS THE WORD FOR CARRIE
*26. THELMA AND LOUISE
27. THE BAKER'S WIFE
*28. PLATOON
*29. NIGHT TRAIN TO MUNICH
30. HIS GIRL FRIDAY
31. THE TRIAL OF BILLY JACK
*32. POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE
**33. WELLS FARGO
**34. WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION

*36. VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED
**37. COLLATERAL DAMAGE
38. PATHS OF GLORY
*39. HOMEWARD BOUND II: LOST IN SAN FRANCISCO
**40. HUSBANDS AND WIVES
*41. MEET DANNY WILSON
42. ROCKY
*43. THE GYPSY MOTHS
44. MICHAEL CLAYTON
*45. DARLING LILI
**46. NORTH BY NORTHWEST
47. BOUDU SAVED FROM DROWNING
48. THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER
49. A CERTAIN SMILE
*50. THE SOCIAL NETWORK
**51. MOTHER WAS A FRESHMAN
52. THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER
*53. ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK
*54. ROAD TO MOROCCO

GENTLEMAN JIM?

*56. MURPHY'S ROMANCE
57. THE RETURN OF MARTIN GUERRE
*58. BEFORE SUNRISE
*59. THE EYES OF LAURA MARS
*60. A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN
*61. STAGE DOOR CANTEEN
*62. DRACULA
*63. THE HARVEY GIRLS
*64. IN OLD CHICAGO
*65. CLEOPATRA JONES
*66. SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS

SOME SJOSTROM MOVIE

*68. IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD
*69. FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX
*70. THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES
*71. THE KILLING OF A CHINESE BOOKIE
*72. A NIGHT AT THE OPERA
**73. PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK
74. LOVE AND OTHER DRUGS
*75. THE PIANO TEACHER
76. THE NAKED GUN
*77. THE LAST LAUGH
*78. CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
**79. THE BIG COUNTRY
80. AIR FORCE ONE
**81. VANYA ON 42ND STREET
*82. AMERICAN HUSTLE
83. BLACK SWAN
*84. LOST IN AMERICA
85. HOUR OF THE WOLF
*86. JULIE AND JULIA
**87. MANHATTAN MELODRAMA
*88. THE BAND WAGON

*90. 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU
*91. Z
92. THE SOUND OF MUSIC
93. HOLLYWOOD CAVALCADE
*94. RAISING ARIZONA
95. GREY GARDENS
*96. THROW MOMMA FROM THE TRAIN
*97. THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT
98. KING KONG
*99. THE FUGITIVE KIND
100. UP IN SMOKE
*101. DEATH IN VENICE
102. DIE ANOTHER DAY
*103. THE FRONT PAGE
104. CHINATOWN
*105. ALEXANDER NEVTSKY
*106. ARGO
*107. THE STORY OF GI JOE
108. THE MAN ON THE FLYING TRAPEZE
*109. THE BLUE ANGEL
*110. DAWN OF THE DEAD
*111. THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE (original)
*112. ALIEN NATION
113. THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME
*114. FEMALE ON THE BEACH
115. HAMLET (Kenneth Branagh version)
*116. EIGHT LEGGED FREAKS
*117. FOR LOVE OF IVY
118. SECRETS AND LIES
119. OUTSIDE PROVIDENCE
*120. RANDOM HARVEST
*121. IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME
**122. SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
123. STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER
*124. MY MAN GODFREY
*125. THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
126. THE LIFE OF PI
127. COPS AND ROBBERSONS
128. NATIONAL VELVET
*129. GENTLE GIANT
*130. HELL'S ANGELS
131. DEATH BECOMES HER
*132. STAND BY ME
*133. STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON
*134. THE PHILADELPHIA STORY
**135. RANCHO NOTORIOUS
**136. MIDNIGHT COWBOY
137. THE GOLD RUSH
*138. GONE WITH THE WIND
*139. RULES OF THE GAME
*140. CITIZEN KANE

mrkelley23

#72 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:27 pm

Lubitsch did The Shop Around the Corner and the Marlene Dietrich movie Angel.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

silverscreenselect

#73 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:56 am

mellytu74 wrote: 17. PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID

DEATH OF A SALESMAN

20. A FACE IN THE CROWD

*61. STAGE DOOR CANTEEN
Some cheating and some guesswork here. There have been two major movies named Billy the Kid, a 1930 film directed by King Vidor and a 1941 film directed by David Miller. As Melly pointed out, Vidor also directed The Crowd, and Frank wouldn't use Vidor twice in the same way.

But in researching Vidor's and Miller's filmographies, I couldn't find another of either of their movies that fit the list. I'm wondering if Number 19 might be The Fountainhead, which would be the link to Vidor for The Crowd.

As for Miller, the IMDB listing for the 1941 Billy the Kid lists Frank Borzage as an "uncredited" director. I'm not sure what that means, but if he actually directed the film, then that's the link to Stage Door Canteen.

silverscreenselect

#74 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:59 am

I'm surprised no one got this earlier.

Alain Resnais directed Hiroshima Mon Amour and (Outside) Providence.

franktangredi

#75 Post by franktangredi » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:57 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
mellytu74 wrote: 17. PAT GARRETT AND BILLY THE KID

DEATH OF A SALESMAN

20. A FACE IN THE CROWD

*61. STAGE DOOR CANTEEN
Some cheating and some guesswork here. There have been two major movies named Billy the Kid, a 1930 film directed by King Vidor and a 1941 film directed by David Miller. As Melly pointed out, Vidor also directed The Crowd, and Frank wouldn't use Vidor twice in the same way.

But in researching Vidor's and Miller's filmographies, I couldn't find another of either of their movies that fit the list. I'm wondering if Number 19 might be The Fountainhead, which would be the link to Vidor for The Crowd.

As for Miller, the IMDB listing for the 1941 Billy the Kid lists Frank Borzage as an "uncredited" director. I'm not sure what that means, but if he actually directed the film, then that's the link to Stage Door Canteen.
Neither 'Billy the Kid' movie is part of this game. And the King Vidor movie has not yet been identified.