I wasn't real popular at the "Sciencey" march yesterday

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

I wasn't real popular at the "Sciencey" march yesterday

#1 Post by Spock » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:53 pm

I showed up with a sign extolling the virtues of scientifically developed Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) and they almost beat me to death with it.*

*Obviously, I did not do that, but I strongly suspect that not all science was equally welcome at the marches.

BackInTex

Re: I wasn't real popular at the "Sciencey" march yesterday

#2 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:46 pm

I was equally unpopular with my sign; "Thank you science for Thalidomide".

The March for Science was worldwide. Here is a picture of the march in Minamisoma, Japan.

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

ne1410s

#3 Post by ne1410s » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:16 pm

Spock and bit's posts are even more laughable if, in your head, you read them in the bitchy whiny voice of Sarah Palin.
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

elwoodblues

#4 Post by elwoodblues » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:23 pm

Science also blinded poor old Thomas Dolby.

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Spock wrote:I showed up with a sign extolling the virtues of scientifically developed Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) and they almost beat me to death with it.*

*Obviously, I did not do that, but I strongly suspect that not all science was equally welcome at the marches.
Actually, if you go an look for the "best of" signs from the marches, there were several which made fun of the anti-GMO-ers.

And I particularly liked the post that said: There was a pro-homeopathy march the same day. They only had one marcher, but the participant claimed that made it more powerful than the science march.

Pro-science marchers are not the granola-head peaceniks you're thinking of.

And BiT, what exactly is your post intended to make fun of? That scientists are somehow responsible for the horrors of thalidomide, a still-useful drug that was over-prescribed, beginning in Germany, because of a lack of governmental oversight? You're arguing for more government controls?

That scientists are responsible for the tragedy at Fukushima?

You can make that point a lot more effectively by making fun of physicists for insisting that radiation was not dangerous, as late as 1955. Science does make mistakes. But both of these cases you cite are failures of systems, not just one field.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:49 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
Spock wrote:I showed up with a sign extolling the virtues of scientifically developed Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) and they almost beat me to death with it.*

Actually, if you go an look for the "best of" signs from the marches, there were several which made fun of the anti-GMO-ers.

And I particularly liked the post that said: There was a pro-homeopathy march the same day. They only had one marcher, but the participant claimed that made it more powerful than the science march.

Pro-science marchers are not the granola-head peaceniks you're thinking of.

And BiT, what exactly is your post intended to make fun of? That scientists are somehow responsible for the horrors of thalidomide, a still-useful drug that was over-prescribed, beginning in Germany, because of a lack of governmental oversight? You're arguing for more government controls?

That scientists are responsible for the tragedy at Fukushima?

You can make that point a lot more effectively by making fun of physicists for insisting that radiation was not dangerous, as late as 1955. Science does make mistakes. But both of these cases you cite are failures of systems, not just one field.
Actually, thalidomide was a success of the FDA, which persisted in its refusal to approve the drug for use in the United States until the phocomelia came to light. As I recall, the scientist who made the call faced significant political pressure to relent. Nevertheless, she persisted. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:24 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:56 pm

I have mentioned my high-school biology teacher before-she recently retired after 40 plus years, but she still subs so my kids know her and stuff. She was in a group picture at a local Sciencey March, which is fine and I was not surprised. She also recently was on a dream trip to the Galapagos.

A few years ago, I lent her my copy of David Quammen's "Song of the Dodo" which is built on the framework of Alfred Russell Wallace's career and focuses on the field of Island Biogeography and how evolution occurs on islands and so forth.

I never got the book back, but I did see it on her desk at school one day and I picked it up and paged through it, I have never seen a book with so many margin notes and underlining and so forth.

I have to kind of wonder at how "Sciencey" you are as a biology teacher, when an "anti-science" farmer gives you a foundational book that presents so many ideas that are apparently new enough and important enough to you that you have to ruin my damn book.
Last edited by Spock on Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spock

#9 Post by Spock » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:02 pm

I noticed the "Rubella-Vaccination" sign in the picture.

I submit that most cases involving measles outbreaks and so forth,caused by non-vaccination is related to immigration at the base. For example, there is a current measles outbreak in the Somali community in Minnesota.

http://www.startribune.com/hennepin-cou ... 420271103/

Spock

#10 Post by Spock » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:40 pm

ne1410s wrote:Spock and bit's posts are even more laughable if, in your head, you read them in the bitchy whiny voice of Sarah Palin.
You got me, how can you argue with logic like that?

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:50 pm

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#12 Post by Spock » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:32 am

With all due respect to Mr. Kelley, the photo shown above by BobJ confirms every stereotype of the Sciencey Marchers.

BackInTex

#13 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:20 am

Spock wrote:With all due respect to Mr. Kelley, the photo shown above by BobJ confirms every stereotype of the Sciencey Marchers.
And thus the purpose of my post. The march was really a silly thing to begin with. All of these marches make me feel a bit sorry for the state of our society. Everyone who participates I see as someone pining for the old days of the 60's (Summer of Love, Woodstock, Selma, March on Washington, ....), wanting to be a part of history, so they fabricate excuses and "create" their own history, hoping to be in the several social media posts making it to the front page or one day hoping to be able to tell their grandchildren "I was there": The Standing Rock protest, Women's March, a Day without Immigrants, this one.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:28 am

Spock wrote:I noticed the "Rubella-Vaccination" sign in the picture.

I submit that most cases involving measles outbreaks and so forth,caused by non-vaccination is related to immigration at the base. For example, there is a current measles outbreak in the Somali community in Minnesota.

I don't think that's the case, particularly with respect to the measles outbreak a few years ago centered at Disneyland that motivated California to remove religious or conscience-based exemptions from vaccination. Now it takes an honest-to-goodness medical reason (or the kid can't go to school), and a lot more kids are getting vaccinated. I lay the blame squarely on homegrown anti-vaxxers. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:34 am

Bob78164 wrote:

I don't think that's the case, particularly with respect to the measles outbreak a few years ago centered at Disneyland that motivated California to remove religious or conscience-based exemptions from vaccination. Now it takes an honest-to-goodness medical reason (or the kid can't go to school), and a lot more kids are getting vaccinated. I lay the blame squarely on homegrown anti-vaxxers. --Bob
It's both. Some cultures and belief systems are opposed to vaccination for one reason or another, and there is an anti-vax minority of Americans as well.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:42 am

Spock wrote:I submit that most cases involving measles outbreaks and so forth,caused by non-vaccination is related to immigration at the base.
Spock, do you think there are any problems in this country that aren't caused by immigration?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:44 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Spock wrote:I submit that most cases involving measles outbreaks and so forth, caused by non-vaccination is related to immigration at the base.
Spock, do you think there are any problems in this country that aren't caused by immigration?
All the problems in this country are caused by immigrants --- starting in 1492.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:48 am

BackInTex wrote: All of these marches make me feel a bit sorry for the state of our society.
Are these marches any sillier than the incessant calls to right-wing talk radio?

What's significant about these marches is the fact that they are continuing and that they seem to be tied to other types of political activism as well. Not all that long ago, as you indicated, a march would be a big social occasion and a be-all and end-all. Make a few speeches; get drunk or high; feel good; go home; and hibernate until the next Presidential election. That's changing in 2017. The results are showing up in bits and pieces due to the scattering of off-year and special elections, but they are up. Democratic and left-wing interest is up. That's how a 20 point Republican district in Georgia is now dead even, and a 30 point Republican district in Kansas was chopped to under double digits. Democrats are more willing to mobilize and organize GOTV efforts and we hope that will translate into fielding better candidates as well.

BackInTex

#19 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Spock wrote:I submit that most cases involving measles outbreaks and so forth, caused by non-vaccination is related to immigration at the base.
So the folks already here just appeared one day?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:01 am

silverscreenselect wrote: and we hope that will translate into fielding better candidates as well.
Not a high bar
~~ Thomas Jefferson

earendel

#21 Post by earendel » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 am

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
So the folks already here just appeared one day?
I suppose the primitive humans that crossed the Bering Strait could be called immigrants.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 am

BackInTex wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote: and we hope that will translate into fielding better candidates as well.
Not a high bar
Here in the Sixth District, the Democratic candidate for Congress in 2016 was Rodney Stooksbury. Here's an article about him:

http://beforeyoutakethatpill.com/blog/2 ... tooksbury/

Tom Price won almost 62% of the vote against Stooksbury.

Stooksbury actually did better than the last two Democrats who ran in the Sixth. In 2014, Robert Montigel lost 66-33: https://patch.com/georgia/roswell/monti ... l-district

In 2012, Price beat Jeff Kazanow 65-35. https://archive.is/Olw4E. And, in 2010, Price was unopposed.

Those are the candidates the Democrats have routinely thrown out in so-called Republican districts far too often, poorly funded gadflies with no organizations, no experience, and no support.

Spock

#23 Post by Spock » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:57 am

earendel wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

It's both. Some cultures and belief systems are opposed to vaccination for one reason or another, and there is an anti-vax minority of Americans as well.
Re: The American anti-vaxxers are probably not as physically concentrated as the (for example) Somali community in Minnesota. A Measles outbreak is more likely to spread in the concentrated immigrant communities.

Bob Juch

#24 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:01 am

Spock wrote:
earendel wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I don't think that's the case, particularly with respect to the measles outbreak a few years ago centered at Disneyland that motivated California to remove religious or conscience-based exemptions from vaccination. Now it takes an honest-to-goodness medical reason (or the kid can't go to school), and a lot more kids are getting vaccinated. I lay the blame squarely on homegrown anti-vaxxers. --Bob
Re: The American anti-vaxxers are probably not as physically concentrated as the (for example) Somali community in Minnesota. A Measles outbreak is more likely to spread in the concentrated immigrant communities.
But that hasn't been the case.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#25 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:19 am

I just wore my "Sod Off Swampy" t to the beach. I did have drive in a SUV past the nuclear power plant to get to the beach
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.