How to Finish a Trivia Night

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
triviawayne

How to Finish a Trivia Night

#1 Post by triviawayne » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:10 am

All the trivia hosts in my area only have about 15 questions and the final question is always some sort of list, usually with betting of points.

I decided to do a little something different for my game:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/164962507 ... =bookmarks

the link is for mobile, if it doesn't work on desktop, go to Facebook and search for The Game Show Trivia Game in groups; or go to twitter and search @gstriviagame and follow the link there

scroll down for the video from last night.

plasticene

Re: How to Finish a Trivia Night

#2 Post by plasticene » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:21 pm

That was fun! Nice idea!

MysteryMan-123

#3 Post by MysteryMan-123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 am

What if I don't have a Facebook page?

triviawayne

#4 Post by triviawayne » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:01 pm

MysteryMan-123 wrote:What if I don't have a Facebook page?
I don't think you have to be logged in to see it, but I don't know.

You can also go to twitter.com and click the link for it, that might work?

TheConfessor

#5 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:15 pm

This looks like a fun end game, but it appears to give the advantage to a strong solo player, over a balanced team with several pretty good players.

MysteryMan-123

#6 Post by MysteryMan-123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:06 pm

triviawayne wrote:I don't think you have to be logged in to see it, but I don't know.

It says I have to be logged in, and clicking the link on Twitter takes you back to the Facebook page.

triviawayne

#7 Post by triviawayne » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:58 am

MysteryMan-123 wrote:
triviawayne wrote:I don't think you have to be logged in to see it, but I don't know.

It says I have to be logged in, and clicking the link on Twitter takes you back to the Facebook page.
Then I guess the best I can say is find someone with facebook and give them the link to see it? It was posted as a live stream, so I don't have the file on my phone.

triviawayne

#8 Post by triviawayne » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:09 am

TheConfessor wrote:This looks like a fun end game, but it appears to give the advantage to a strong solo player, over a balanced team with several pretty good players.
That thought crossed my mind, and you can see in this one that the solo player won the game.

I figure solo players are rare for pub trivia, and my area isn't a hotbed of great trivia players where this would happen, so I don't see this being the case very often.

I did this and also speed rounds with one player per team at different points through the game to accomplish two things:

1. I don't have to worry too much about cheaters. If a team cheats during the regular questions, they likely won't be in first place in the final round, and they can't cheat on the buzzer to win the final game

2. Every pub trivia location seems to have a team that wins most of the time. I'm trying to level the playing field for the rest of the teams a little bit. I think the best will always rise to the top anyway, but this format should help. Usually those teams have each person with their specialty. With this format, the science player might not be on the buzzer when a science question is asked.

The bonus of this format is every team believes they have a chance to win right up until the end. So if they get behind during the regular game, the points tighten up. I always tell people I've seen teams win from the back...but that hasn't really happened yet. Usually it's the teams in first or second that will win the end game...but the other teams always think they were really close to winning and will talk about how if only so and so were on the buzzer at the right time. They feel it was only bad luck that lost them the game and not that they were over-matched.