The Political Balance of Power in This Nation

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Appa23

The Political Balance of Power in This Nation

#1 Post by Appa23 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:03 am

apparently hinges on the results of the Omaha mayoral election. I am left to come to this ridiculous conclusion by the fact that Senator Bernie Sanders and Rep. Keith Ellison flew to Omaha yesterday to hold a very partisan, very lengthy rally for former state senator Heath Mello, who is running against the incumbent (and first female mayor) Jean Stothert.

Does the Democratic Party really care that much who is Omaha's mayor? Keep in mind that this is a non-partisan election. Does Senator Sanders really think that a Mayor Mello will bring his dream of free college for everyone into reality? I wonder if Rep. Ellison took a strong position on our restaurant tax or proposal for street cars in the revitalized urban areas?

Unfortunately, Mayor Stothert cannot complain too loudly about making this a partisan race, as she is having Governor Scott Walker into town next week.

[I actually live outside the city and have not yet been annexed, so I cannot vote in this election. But. if you want to discuss a woman who has more demonstrable governing experience than Trump, then Stothert actually does qualify.)

Bob Juch

Re: The Political Balance of Power in This Nation

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:35 am

Appa23 wrote:apparently hinges on the results of the Omaha mayoral election. I am left to come to this ridiculous conclusion by the fact that Senator Bernie Sanders and Rep. Keith Ellison flew to Omaha yesterday to hold a very partisan, very lengthy rally for former state senator Heath Mello, who is running against the incumbent (and first female mayor) Jean Stothert.

Does the Democratic Party really care that much who is Omaha's mayor? Keep in mind that this is a non-partisan election. Does Senator Sanders really think that a Mayor Mello will bring his dream of free college for everyone into reality? I wonder if Rep. Ellison took a strong position on our restaurant tax or proposal for street cars in the revitalized urban areas?

Unfortunately, Mayor Stothert cannot complain too loudly about making this a partisan race, as she is having Governor Scott Walker into town next week.

[I actually live outside the city and have not yet been annexed, so I cannot vote in this election. But. if you want to discuss a woman who has more demonstrable governing experience than Trump, then Stothert actually does qualify.)
I'm glad the Democratic Party is concerned about local races. Keith Ellison is Deputy Chair of the Democratic National Committee.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:41 am

Appa23 wrote:Does the Democratic Party really care that much who is Omaha's mayor? Keep in mind that this is a non-partisan election.
For far too many years, the Democratic Party didn't care all that much about who the mayor of Omaha was, or who a heck of a lot of other local and state officials were. Turnout for off-year elections was down, too many offices either went unopposed or with fringe, token opposition, and Democrats eventually paid the price. The biggest setback of 2010 wasn't losing the House; it was losing a bunch of State Legislatures that then proceeded to gerrymander in Republican majorities.

It used to be when Democrats got upset, they'd hold a march somewhere, feel good for a day or two and then go back to the status quo. This time they look to be more serious about taking action and organizing at the local level and they've got some wins to show for it in local elections since November. Obviously, they won't be able to fly big guns in for every local election, but they are trying to make a statement.

What a lot of people are missing about the Georgia election is the level of grass roots organizing that went on for Ossoff. This isn't just a matter of running a bunch of slick TV commercials, he got the vote out in an off-off-year and he presented himself to most people as a knowledgeable, hard working person with some good ideas, not just a left-wing wacko, all this in a state where Democrats traditionally get shellacked in special elections. That's how he got 48% of the vote (and the polls kept rising in his favor the closer to election day) in what was a 40% district.

So, yes it matters, and it will continue to matter in every election from now until 2018.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Jon Ossoff for King of the World, and Heath Mello for Prince
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:12 am

SSS>>>For far too many years, the Democratic Party didn't care all that much about who the mayor of Omaha was, or who a heck of a lot of other local and state officials were. <<<

Did the Democrats not care all that much, or did they just become non-competitive in large swathes of the country?

Appa23

#6 Post by Appa23 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:59 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Appa23 wrote:Does the Democratic Party really care that much who is Omaha's mayor? Keep in mind that this is a non-partisan election.
For far too many years, the Democratic Party didn't care all that much about who the mayor of Omaha was, or who a heck of a lot of other local and state officials were. Turnout for off-year elections was down, too many offices either went unopposed or with fringe, token opposition, and Democrats eventually paid the price. The biggest setback of 2010 wasn't losing the House; it was losing a bunch of State Legislatures that then proceeded to gerrymander in Republican majorities.

It used to be when Democrats got upset, they'd hold a march somewhere, feel good for a day or two and then go back to the status quo. This time they look to be more serious about taking action and organizing at the local level and they've got some wins to show for it in local elections since November. Obviously, they won't be able to fly big guns in for every local election, but they are trying to make a statement.

What a lot of people are missing about the Georgia election is the level of grass roots organizing that went on for Ossoff. This isn't just a matter of running a bunch of slick TV commercials, he got the vote out in an off-off-year and he presented himself to most people as a knowledgeable, hard working person with some good ideas, not just a left-wing wacko, all this in a state where Democrats traditionally get shellacked in special elections. That's how he got 48% of the vote (and the polls kept rising in his favor the closer to election day) in what was a 40% district.

So, yes it matters, and it will continue to matter in every election from now until 2018.
And the Democratic Party again showed how it can put all of its power into an election and lose badly despite a numerical advantage. Mello and his fire department union hacks picked the same week that a Council Bluffs officer was killed to run ads that attacked Omaha police response times. That's how a close race becomes a ten point beating.

Appa23

#7 Post by Appa23 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Mello closed to under 7 points, but still a disappointing result.

More likely that I will be a voter in Onaha by next election due to annexation.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Wed May 10, 2017 12:26 am

Appa23 wrote:Mello closed to under 7 points, but still a disappointing result.

You're being annexed by Honolulu?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:43 am

Estonut wrote:

wishful thinking?

Estonut
Evil Genius

#10 Post by Estonut » Wed May 10, 2017 12:07 pm

Appa23 wrote:
Estonut wrote:

wishful thinking?
That's the only place I could find an Onaha... :lol:
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Spock

#11 Post by Spock » Sun May 14, 2017 8:09 am

Obviously, we (in the royal sense) didn't like the results of the election, so it was consigned to the memory hole.

However, let Ossoff win by one vote and it will be trumpeted across the land.

Alternatively, of course, if Ossoff loses, Georgia 6 will also be consigned to the memory hole.

"Georgia 6? What Georgia 6?"

jarnon

#12 Post by jarnon » Sun May 14, 2017 8:37 am

Yesterday new DNC CEO Jess O'Connell sent an email asking for my opinion, and I let loose:
jarnon wrote:Thank you for stepping up to the huge task of rebuilding our party. You’re so right that we must work from the ground up. Ignoring the grass roots, including places where we’re the minority, cost us the White House and Senate.
And no litmus tests! I was appalled that the DNC withdrew support from Democrats who oppose abortion. A Democrat can be pro-choice or pro-life (like our great Senator Casey).
A Democrat can be for or against natural gas.
A Democrat can be for or against pipelines.
A Democrat can support the police.
A Democrat can own a gun.
A party that closes its doors to diversity of thought is a party that loses.
Next time she'll probably just ask for money.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun May 14, 2017 10:16 am

Spock wrote:Obviously, we (in the royal sense) didn't like the results of the election, so it was consigned to the memory hole.

However, let Ossoff win by one vote and it will be trumpeted across the land.

Alternatively, of course, if Ossoff loses, Georgia 6 will also be consigned to the memory hole.

"Georgia 6? What Georgia 6?"
You're missing the point here. The special elections that are taking place now are all in very red districts, not just marginally red districts (and the Republicans are defending a lot of those in 2018). The fact that these elections are even close indicates the degree to which the voting electorate is turning against Trump and the electorate. Plus, Democratic turnout is traditionally lower in offyear elections, so a high turnout bodes well for them as well. Keep in mind that the first real sign the Democrats were in trouble in 2010 was the MA special senate election that Scott Brown won. If that election had taken place in South Carolina, no one would have paid much attention. Tom Price routinely won the Sixth District with 60% of the vote. Jon Ossoff should be down by double digits now.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#14 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:52 pm

jarnon wrote:Yesterday new DNC CEO Jess O'Connell sent an email asking for my opinion, and I let loose:
jarnon wrote:Thank you for stepping up to the huge task of rebuilding our party. You’re so right that we must work from the ground up. Ignoring the grass roots, including places where we’re the minority, cost us the White House and Senate.
And no litmus tests! I was appalled that the DNC withdrew support from Democrats who oppose abortion. A Democrat can be pro-choice or pro-life (like our great Senator Casey).

No wonder you get ignored in the political threads! :wink:

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:01 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
jarnon wrote:Yesterday new DNC CEO Jess O'Connell sent an email asking for my opinion, and I let loose:

No wonder you get ignored in the political threads! :wink:

Well said.

lb13
Well, then

jarnon

#16 Post by jarnon » Thu May 18, 2017 7:52 am

Tuesday was Election Day in Pennsylvania. The most significant race was the Democratic primary for Philadelphia District Attorney (which in Philly is more significant than the general election). Larry Krasner, an outsider best known for fighting police brutality, beat several establishment candidates. A large field, low turnout, dissatisfaction with the Pennsylvania Democratic establishment, and a ton of money from liberal PACs helped him win.

Philly cops will have to be on their best behavior, and record everything, in any confrontation.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Thu May 18, 2017 8:01 am

jarnon wrote:Larry Krasner, an outsider best known for fighting police brutality, beat several establishment candidates.
This sounds funny to me.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#18 Post by jarnon » Mon May 22, 2017 7:45 am

In Delaware County, a crucial battleground in 2016, twice as many Democrats voted in last week's primary as in 2013. For the first time in a century, most of the primary voters were Democrats. The rank and file are getting the message that local politics matters.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 22, 2017 9:16 am

jarnon wrote:In Delaware County, a crucial battleground in 2016, twice as many Democrats voted in last week's primary as in 2013. For the first time in a century, most of the primary voters were Democrats. The rank and file are getting the message that local politics matters.
It's interesting that here in Georgia, Jon Ossoff is mostly running ads promoting his own ideas, and the attack ads on Handel, which usually come from outside interest groups, highlight her spending habits and her stint at the Susan Komen foundation. On the other hand, you are more likely to see pictures of Nancy Pelosi, Bernie Sanders, and Osama bin Laden in Handel's attack ads than you are of Ossoff. The silliest ads are the ones in which actors playing stereotypical San Francisco hippies talk about how great they think Jon Ossoff and his "San Francisco values" are.