The Democrat's Circular Firing Squad Is On Duty

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

The Democrat's Circular Firing Squad Is On Duty

#1 Post by Spock » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:02 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... 2186813044

Let's see, the Democrats have a dream candidate for mayor of Omaha, who could possibly be positioned for state-wide office in the future, but the national left is all pissy-moany that his views on abortion are not those of San Francisco.

Way to rebuild that decimated bench in the Red States, guys.

jarnon

Re: The Democrat's Circular Firing Squad Is On Duty

#2 Post by jarnon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:52 pm

In Pennsylvania, Senator Casey has always been anti-abortion, as was his father Governor Casey. Congressman Murtha was another moderate Democrat from Pennsylvania. And many moderate Republicans have been elected here.

Ideological purity is for losers.
Last edited by jarnon on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:53 am

Spock wrote: but the national left is all pissy-moany that his views on abortion are not those of San Francisco.

This isn't a phenomenon that's just associated with the Democratic party. The Republicans have driven away a number of economic conservatives because of their demands for ideological purity on some social issues as well. I recall that they had a chance to pick up a Senate seat in Delaware a few years back until they primaried the popular moderate in favor of a Tea Party hardliner who got trounced in the general election.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:26 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Spock wrote: but the national left is all pissy-moany that his views on abortion are not those of San Francisco.

This isn't a phenomenon that's just associated with the Democratic party. The Republicans have driven away a number of economic conservatives because of their demands for ideological purity on some social issues as well. I recall that they had a chance to pick up a Senate seat in Delaware a few years back until they primaried the popular moderate in favor of a Tea Party hardliner who got trounced in the general election.
As I recall, in the same election they also played the wrong Angle in Nevada and found themselves with an extra six years of Harry Reid. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#5 Post by Spock » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:12 pm

One of the funniest aspects of this to me is that NARAL/Daily Kos etc are treating this as if it were occurring in a vacuum and that Nebraskans don't have agency and aren't observing this.

I wonder if this kerfuffle makes your typical Nebraskan more or less favorably inclined to the Democrat party.

Might it be fulfilling every negative stereotype of the national Democrats that lead to Hillary getting 34 percent of the vote in the state?

Hillary did win the City of Omaha and I would be shocked if the Democrat loses this mayoral race.

Appa23

#6 Post by Appa23 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Spock wrote:One of the funniest aspects of this to me is that NARAL/Daily Kos etc are treating this as if it were occurring in a vacuum and that Nebraskans don't have agency and aren't observing this.

I wonder if this kerfuffle makes your typical Nebraskan more or less favorably inclined to the Democrat party.

Might it be fulfilling every negative stereotype of the national Democrats that lead to Hillary getting 34 percent of the vote in the state?

Hillary did win the City of Omaha and I would be shocked if the Democrat loses this mayoral race.
Be prepared to be shocked. Mayor Stothert won the primary, and the 3rd place finisher is pushing his 11 percent behind her.

Way more voters in presidential election and college students don't tend to vote in the local elections. She will get some of Hillarys women vote, plus things are going very well in Omaha.

Mello could win, but he is not the favorite.

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Speaking as a Republican, Tom Perez, the new DNC chair, is working out far better than I thought he would.

A few days ago, he was in Omaha campaigning for his guy and said of that visit>>>"He came out and said that the job of the DNC was to “help Democrats who have garnered support from voters in their community cross the finish line and win.”<<<

One would assume that that would be the main job description for the party chair.

However, in the last few days, he obviously got a stern talking to from the Democrat Party TPTB and now says that the anybody with abortion views that are to the right of NARAL will not be supported by the party.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/dem ... n=politics

">>>DNC chairman Tom Perez became the first head of the party to demand ideological purity on abortion rights, promising Friday to support only Democratic candidates who back a woman’s right to choose.

“Every Democrat, like every American, should support a woman’s right to make her own choices about her body and her health,” Perez said in a statement. “That is not negotiable and should not change city by city or state by state.” <<<