Another activist judge decides to make law

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
flockofseagulls104

Another activist judge decides to make law

#1 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:06 pm

Of course, the judge, William Orrick, is from Northern California.

https://apnews.com/a0e35587fcfa42f6bb76 ... _medium=AP
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Another activist judge decides to make law

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Of course, the judge, William Orrick, is from Northern California.

https://apnews.com/a0e35587fcfa42f6bb76 ... _medium=AP
Really? Explain to me in what manner Judge Orrick's ruling is legally mistaken. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Judge Orrick wrote:The president has no authority to attach new conditions to federal spending.
Isn't that what the Republican majority Supreme Court said when it overturned the part of the Affordable Care Act that reduced Medicaid funding to states that didn't accept Medicaid expansion? In that case, the Court struck down part of a bill passed by Congress. Here, Judge Orrick is blocking an executive order, but in your eyes he's making law.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:24 pm

Let me help you out here, flock. You can download the actual order from this page. So please explain to me in what respect Judge Orrick's 49-page order contravenes existing law. I'll wait.

While I'm waiting, you also can explain to me how private health insurance companies add value to the system. It seems fairly obvious that their advertising, underwriting, and administrative expenses, as well as their profits, don't add any value at all for consumers, but you seem to think I'm wrong about that for some reason you haven't yet articulated.

Please use your own words. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:04 pm

Arizona Senator Jeff Flake voted to confirm him so he can't be all bad.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

#6 Post by jarnon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:33 pm

jarnon wrote:
Judge Orrick wrote:The president has no authority to attach new conditions to federal spending.
Isn't that what the Republican majority Supreme Court said when it overturned the part of the Affordable Care Act that reduced Medicaid funding to states that didn't accept Medicaid expansion?
In fact, Judge Orrick's order quotes from the Supreme Court's Obamacare decision.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

flockofseagulls104

#7 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Why didn't Judge Orrick jump in to stop sanctuary cities from violating federal law?

http://www.dailywire.com/news/10816/5-t ... on-bandler
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#8 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:01 pm

While I'm waiting, you also can explain to me how private health insurance companies add value to the system. It seems fairly obvious that their advertising, underwriting, and administrative expenses, as well as their profits, don't add any value at all for consumers, but you seem to think I'm wrong about that for some reason you haven't yet articulated.

Bob, I have answered your question very specifically even WITHOUT you answering mine. I am sorry that you don't understand or accept it. That is your problem, and is no reason to be rude. Please do me the common courtesy of answering my question without evasion. If you can't or won't answer my question to you, do me a favor and stop being a petulant child about it.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:12 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Why didn't Judge Orrick jump in to stop sanctuary cities from violating federal law?

Because no one has sued them to do so and federal judges don't provide advisory opinions on cases that aren't before them. When someone with standing brings such a lawsuit in federal court, then it will be proper for a judge to decide whether a local jurisdiction's actions are constitutional. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:14 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:While I'm waiting, you also can explain to me how private health insurance companies add value to the system. It seems fairly obvious that their advertising, underwriting, and administrative expenses, as well as their profits, don't add any value at all for consumers, but you seem to think I'm wrong about that for some reason you haven't yet articulated.

Bob, I have answered your question very specifically even WITHOUT you answering mine. I am sorry that you don't understand or accept it. That is your problem, and is no reason to be rude. Please do me the common courtesy of answering my question without evasion. If you can't or won't answer my question to you, do me a favor and stop being a petulant child about it.
No, you haven't. You used some old quote from Ronald Reagan that has nothing to do with the actual issue, much less the economic analysis. I'm still waiting for an actual answer from you on this issue. I expect to be waiting a very long time because the reality is that private health insurance in fact subtracts, rather than adds, value to the system. --Bob

jarnon

#11 Post by jarnon » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:19 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Why didn't Judge Orrick jump in to stop sanctuary cities from violating federal law?

Contrary to this biased article, sanctuary cities do comply with federal law, specifically the 4th Amendment. Philadelphia turns over illegal alien criminals when ICE has a warrant. Prisoners in non-sanctuary cities who were detained with no warrant have sued the cities and won. And ICE agents are welcome to arrest any illegal alien they want, including local prisoners, at any time.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:42 pm

jarnon wrote:

Contrary to this biased article, sanctuary cities do comply with federal law, specifically the 4th Amendment. Philadelphia turns over illegal alien criminals when ICE has a warrant. Prisoners in non-sanctuary cities who were detained with no warrant have sued the cities and won. And ICE agents are welcome to arrest any illegal alien they want, including local prisoners, at any time.
I'll add that when making a detainer request, the federal government does not indemnify local jurisdictions from any damages they might have to pay because the extended detention violates the Constitution. --Bob

jarnon

#13 Post by jarnon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:30 am

Judge Orrick's ruling in April was temporary, but now it's permanent.

Federal judge blocks Trump’s executive order on denying funding to sanctuary cities
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

themanintheseersuckersuit

#14 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.