How Trump Made This Farmer Go Broke

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

How Trump Made This Farmer Go Broke

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:59 am

In their special week-long series, “Red Purple Blue: First 100 Days,” CNN interviewed a farmer who was hit especially hard by President Trump’s anti-immigration rhetoric and policies.

The CNN reporter interviewed Joel des Boscaya, a California farmer, who was not able to attract enough workers to work on his farm.

“We can grow the crops,” he said, “but not pick them.”

When Trump began hinting at mass deportations and a border wall, his workforce all but evaporated.

When asked about other immigrant coworkers, one of Boscaya’s farmhands, a young Mexican immigrant, said, “They’re scared to go out, scared to go to the store because they think Immigration’s rolling around.”

With his bottom line in jeopardy, Boscaya’s problems are only going to get worse as Trump continues his un-American assault on immigration.

With countless other farmers around the country facing similar issues, this is likely to be the first of a myriad of other problems these farmers will face under the reckless leadership of Donald Trump.
Link to story with video: https://leftliberal.com/2017/04/28/how- ... -go-broke/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Pastor Fireball

Re: How Trump Made This Farmer Go Broke

#2 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:12 am

I don't want to sound like a grammar Nazi again so soon after mocking people's overuse of the word "literally", but I have to bring up something else in the grammar world that sticks in my craw. I hate it when somebody, especially somebody in journalism, uses a phrase like this:
this is likely to be the first of a myriad of other problems
The only correct use of the word "myriad" as a noun is when you're talking about the number 10,000. In the case of this rampallian elf-skinned puttock Donald Drumpf, 10,000 problems is an accurate assessment. That's beside the point, though. When describing an indeterminate number, "myriad" should be used only as an adjective, as in "this is likely to be the first of myriad problems". And I don't want to hear any of you cupcakes whine, "But people say 'a myriad of' to describe unknown numbers so much that the grammarians are now accepting it as proper usage." That's a bullcrap argument. Just because everybody else does it, that doesn't make it correct. You might as well stick an apostrophe in every single appearance of the word "its" if you want to go down that road.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 am

Pastor Fireball wrote:I don't want to sound like a grammar Nazi again so soon after mocking people's overuse of the word "literally", but I have to bring up something else in the grammar world that sticks in my craw. I hate it when somebody, especially somebody in journalism, uses a phrase like this:
The only correct use of the word "myriad" as a noun is when you're talking about the number 10,000. In the case of this rampallian elf-skinned puttock Donald Drumpf, 10,000 problems is an accurate assessment. That's beside the point, though. When describing an indeterminate number, "myriad" should be used only as an adjective, as in "this is likely to be the first of myriad problems". And I don't want to hear any of you cupcakes whine, "But people say 'a myriad of' to describe unknown numbers so much that the grammarians are now accepting it as proper usage." That's a bullcrap argument. Just because everybody else does it, that doesn't make it correct. You might as well stick an apostrophe in every single appearance of the word "its" if you want to go down that road.
You are a grammar Nazi. :P

https://www.google.com/search?q=define+myriad

I'm pretty accepting of new usages for old words. "Ironic" still bugs me a bit, but what really burns my ass is "decimate"; that means to kill of out of ten but is often used to mean a massacre.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:55 am

:roll:
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:58 am

How are either of these complaints related to grammar?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:11 am

I suppose it would be to much to ask for the 2009 video where CNN went into deep Red areas and respectfully treated the views of those who wanted Obama impeached.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:28 am

Spock wrote:I suppose it would be to much to ask for the 2009 video where CNN went into deep Red areas and respectfully treated the views of those who wanted Obama impeached.
Wow, that's the epitome of a straw man argument.

Spock

#8 Post by Spock » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:31 am

I am chuckling over how CNN came up with this story.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
CNN Planning Session-
"Hmm, we are looking for a fresh angle, I just think there haven't been enough stories about what Hillary voters think of Trump."

"I agree, that is a fresh new angle. We should go with that."
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:14 pm

Spock wrote:I am chuckling over how CNN came up with this story.
CNN Planning Session-
"Hmm, we are looking for a fresh angle, I just think there haven't been enough stories about what Hillary voters think of Trump."

The farmer lives in the Central Valley, which is the heart of what support Donny has (or had) in California. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Jeemie

#10 Post by Jeemie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Pastor Fireball wrote:I don't want to sound like a grammar Nazi again so soon after mocking people's overuse of the word "literally", but I have to bring up something else in the grammar world that sticks in my craw. I hate it when somebody, especially somebody in journalism, uses a phrase like this:
Dude...this is literally how language evolves.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Appa23

#11 Post by Appa23 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:48 pm

Breaking news on CNN -- Sweatshop owner put out of business by brazen enforcement of child labor laws. :shock:

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:14 pm

Appa23 wrote:Breaking news on CNN -- Sweatshop owner put out of business by brazen enforcement of child labor laws. :shock:
Don't worry, the Republicans want to get rid of those.
http://blog.acton.org/archives/89837-br ... andle.html

Estonut
Evil Genius

#13 Post by Estonut » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:52 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Appa23 wrote:Breaking news on CNN -- Sweatshop owner put out of business by brazen enforcement of child labor laws. :shock:
Don't worry, the Republicans want to get rid of those.
http://blog.acton.org/archives/89837-br ... andle.html
You should be required to read the crap you post here prior to posting.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

TheConfessor

#14 Post by TheConfessor » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:04 am

CNN Planning Session-

I've had CNN on for a few hours. They have talked to a wide range of people in many states, asking how they feel about their vote now. Many of them were Trump voters who still feel very good about their vote and the job he is doing. But you can stick with your preconceptions if you prefer.

BackInTex

#15 Post by BackInTex » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:15 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
CNN Planning Session-

I've had CNN on for a few hours. They have talked to a wide range of people in many states, asking how they feel about their vote now. Many of them were Trump voters who still feel very good about their vote and the job he is doing. But you can stick with your preconceptions if you prefer.

Yes, I'm a Trump voter and still feel very good about my vote.

That said, it was like I had a choice to shoot myself in the head, or smash my big toe with a hammer. I chose to smash my toe with a hammer. It is now infected and I may loose my foot. Still happy I didn't shoot myself in the head.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)