American Gods

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

American Gods

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:14 pm

STARZ will bring Neil Gaiman's American Gods to the small screen. Gaiman will be one of the executive producers.

I'm very glad to see quality SF finding its niche in Hollywood. I have hope that the boatloads of money floating around will contribute to a renaissance in the field. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

gsabc

Re: American Gods

#2 Post by gsabc » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:18 am

Anything by Gaiman is good by definition. Would prefer they bring "Neverwhere" to any size of screen, or some version of "The Sandman", but I look forward to this one.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

ElendilPickle

#3 Post by ElendilPickle » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:39 pm

gsabc wrote:Anything by Gaiman is good by definition. Would prefer they bring "Neverwhere" to any size of screen, or some version of "The Sandman", but I look forward to this one.
There's this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115288/reference

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:58 pm

I'm watching the first episode on my TiVo as I write this. It's just as good as I'd hoped, but I'm wondering how accessible it would be to someone who hasn't read the book. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#5 Post by silvercamaro » Mon May 01, 2017 6:36 am

Bob78164 wrote:I'm watching the first episode on my TiVo as I write this. It's just as good as I'd hoped, but I'm wondering how accessible it would be to someone who hasn't read the book. --Bob
What do you mean, Bob? Are you concerned that prospective fans won't know enough about mythology to understand some of the characters? Is Gaiman's book the only possible source of information about cultural myths that you have encountered?
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:27 am

silvercamaro wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I'm watching the first episode on my TiVo as I write this. It's just as good as I'd hoped, but I'm wondering how accessible it would be to someone who hasn't read the book. --Bob
What do you mean, Bob? Are you concerned that prospective fans won't know enough about mythology to understand some of the characters? Is Gaiman's book the only possible source of information about cultural myths that you have encountered?
I hadn't read this article when I wrote my post but it captures my concerns fairly well.
Joanna Robinson wrote:After gauging the reaction of many TV critics, TV lovers, and TV dilettantes to the premiere of the new fantasy series American Gods, one clear pattern has emerged. Long-time fans of the Neil Gaiman—who wrote the novel the show is adapted from—are excited to see what’s comes next. Non-book-readers, however, tend to react to the premiere with confusion.
Like almost all adaptations, it leaves stuff out. My concern is that the stuff left out makes the difference between following the story and not following it. --Bob