WWTBAM Bored

A home for the weary.
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:46 pm 
Offline
Keeper of the Transcripts
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am
Posts: 3903
Bob Scarpone
High school history teacher
Flanders, N.J.


$5,000
The opposite of the feeling that everyone is out to get you, which term has been defined as “the suspicion the universe is a conspiracy on your behalf”?
A: Passive-compulsive disorder B: Manic-elation
C: Pronoia D: Helsinki syndrome

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Pronoia


$7,000
In 2015, Gina Rodriguez won the CW’s first-ever Golden Globe for her role on what show, adapted from a popular Venezuelan telenovela?
A: Jane the Virgin B: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
C: Supergirl D: The Vampire Diaries

[Reveal] Spoiler: ATA
A: 88% B: 7% C: 1% D: 4%


[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
A: Jane the Virgin


$10,000
During Banned Book Week in 2006, a Texas high school received a request to ban what book that’s about banning books?
A: The Catcher in the Rye B: The Great Gatsby
C: Moby-Dick D: Fahrenheit 451

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
D: Fahrenheit 451


Commercial break

$20,000
Though they broke apart as the Atlantic Ocean expanded, what two mountain ranges are believed to have once been connected?
A: Urals and Sierra Nevadas B: Andes and Alps
C: Appalachians and Caledonians D: Himalayas and Rockies

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Appalachians and Caledonians


$30,000
Richard Nixon, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are the only presidents to have done what while in office?
A: Lived with their children B: Appointed three Supreme Court justices
C: Visited all 50 states D: Travelled internationally on Air Force One

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Visited all 50 states


$50,000
According to the American Pet Products Assn., if you go by the total number of pets in the U.S., which of these is the second most popular, behind only fish?
A: Lizards B: Dogs
C: Cats D: Birds

[Reveal] Spoiler: +1
+1 Brad thinks it’s birds since, like fish, people own more than one.


[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves dogs and cats. Brad would go with cats, but Bob thinks it’s dogs, so Bob walks away.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Cats
Bob wins $30,000.


Commercial break


Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Wed May 03, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 4:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 6076
5K: Never heard of it 'til now, but by description has to be C.

20K: depending on how you line up the continents, could be any. C are currently closest. Never heard Caledonians by that name. Caledonia is Scotland.


30K: 50/50.


50K: Think I've ruled out all but C, but +1


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:17 am
Posts: 668
Location: San Francisco
Since Chris and Bob did not bring it up, Bob was a 5-time J! champ and finalist (2nd place $11,000) in the 1996 tournament of champions.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:13 am 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 8397
Location: Garden Grove, CA
ghostjmf wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$20,000
Though they broke apart as the Atlantic Ocean expanded, what two mountain ranges are believed to have once been connected?
A: Urals and Sierra Nevadas B: Andes and Alps
C: Appalachians and Caledonians D: Himalayas and Rockies

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Appalachians and Caledonians
20K: depending on how you line up the continents, could be any.
Uh, no it can't be any. If the expansion of the Atlantic divided a mountain range into 2, they MUST be somewhere near the Atlantic.
A: Middle of Russia and east side of California - NOPE
B: West coast of South America and middle of Europe - NOPE
C: East coast of U.S.A. and western Europe - One on west side of Atlantic and one on the east side. - YUP
D: West side of Asia and western U.S.A. - NOPE

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Posts: 12061
Location: mired in the bureaucracy
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Bob Scarpone
High school history teacher
Flanders, N.J.


BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$50,000
According to the American Pet Products Assn., if you go by the total number of pets in the U.S., which of these is the second most popular, behind only fish?
A: Lizards B: Dogs
C: Cats D: Birds
[Reveal] Spoiler: +1
+1 Brad thinks it’s birds since, like fish, people own more than one.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves dogs and cats. Brad would go with cats, but Bob thinks it’s dogs, so Bob walks away.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Cats
Bob wins $30,000.

This is really tough - I suspected the 50:50 would leave B and C. We talk about "crazy cat ladies" who have many cats, but not "crazy dog ladies", so I'd lean toward C, but this is one of those where I don't think any lifeline would help unless the +1 had read something specific about this.

_________________
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 6076
Estonut: You haven't read any of those fun SF novels where the continents are moved/smashed into each other by time-travelers w/ mind-over-matter powers? I'm blocking on the ref I want to give, & google ain't helping as yet.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 6076
Ah, its Julian May's Many-Coloured Land cycle. Not that there aren't others.

I remember a book by someone else where visiting alien overlords reduce the Himalayas to foothills, doing more to promote climate change in the region than even Republicans.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:48 pm 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 8397
Location: Garden Grove, CA
ghostjmf wrote:
Estonut: You haven't read any of those fun SF novels where the continents are moved/smashed into each other by time-travelers w/ mind-over-matter powers? I'm blocking on the ref I want to give, & google ain't helping as yet.
Oh! I'm sorry. I thought the question was referring to real life. :roll:

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 20505
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
Estonut wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$20,000
Though they broke apart as the Atlantic Ocean expanded, what two mountain ranges are believed to have once been connected?
A: Urals and Sierra Nevadas B: Andes and Alps
C: Appalachians and Caledonians D: Himalayas and Rockies

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Appalachians and Caledonians
20K: depending on how you line up the continents, could be any.
Uh, no it can't be any. If the expansion of the Atlantic divided a mountain range into 2, they MUST be somewhere near the Atlantic.
A: Middle of Russia and east side of California - NOPE
B: West coast of South America and middle of Europe - NOPE
C: East coast of U.S.A. and western Europe - One on west side of Atlantic and one on the east side. - YUP
D: West side of Asia and western U.S.A. - NOPE

Image

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:05 pm 
Offline
Evil Genius
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Posts: 8397
Location: Garden Grove, CA
Bob Juch wrote:
Image
Where are the time-travelers w/ mind-over-matter powers?

_________________
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 6076
The continent-splitting during the Pliocene actually occurs in one of the 2nd-tier set of books in May's Galactic Milieu series, just to be clear. I think. Been a while.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:58 am
Posts: 20505
Location: Oro Valley, Arizona
ghostjmf wrote:
The continent-splitting during the Pliocene actually occurs in one of the 2nd-tier set of books in May's Galactic Milieu series, just to be clear. I think. Been a while.

Yeah, 3 to 5 million years or so. :lol:

_________________
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am
Posts: 6076
Naah, I've been reading up on what is in what series. The Pliocene stuff is all in the 1st 4 books of the series, the Pliocene Exile.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:02 pm 
Offline
No Scritches!!!
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 pm
Posts: 19603
Location: God's Country
Quote:
$20,000
Though they broke apart as the Atlantic Ocean expanded, what two mountain ranges are believed to have once been connected?
A: Urals and Sierra Nevadas B: Andes and Alps
C: Appalachians and Caledonians D: Himalayas and Rockies

[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Appalachians and Caledonians


Despite considerable fuzziness about where the Caledonians were, I pick C. The Rockies, Urals, and Alps are in the middle of continents.

Quote:
$50,000
According to the American Pet Products Assn., if you go by the total number of pets in the U.S., which of these is the second most popular, behind only fish?
A: Lizards B: Dogs
C: Cats D: Birds

[Reveal] Spoiler: +1
+1 Brad thinks it’s birds since, like fish, people own more than one.


[Reveal] Spoiler: 50/50
50/50 leaves dogs and cats. Brad would go with cats, but Bob thinks it’s dogs, so Bob walks away.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Answer
C: Cats
Bob wins $30,000.


They need to watch My Cat from Hell more.

_________________
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Americanized by Maël Soucaze.