Facebook question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jaybee

Facebook question

#1 Post by jaybee » Mon May 08, 2017 6:34 am

So I have recently crossed over to the dark side and now have a FaceBook page. Actually I have two. My S-I-L helped me set them up. I'm not using them to keep in contact with everyone in the world and I don't want to. I started a weekly series of kayak races here in Knoxville and needed some venue where I could post meeting information and post race times to a group. So I have a main "JB" page that is set to be private and then the Paddle Knoxville page which is open to whoever joins the group.

I have friended two of my three sons on my JB page. They are both traveling all around the world and this allows me to see the pictures they post of their travels without having to look over Mrs. Jaybee's shoulder on her FB page. Now that my son's are 'friends' I am getting friend requests from other people. While these are people that I do know I really don't want to fill up my FB page with all their info, links, friends etc.

So here's my question: Is there a polite FB way to say something like, "No, I am not adding you as a friend because that's not how I am using my FB page". Or something like that. Some of these people who I see fairly frequently will be no problem. The next time I talk to them I'll just tell them that I am not using FB like that. But others are people that I know and like but really do not stay in touch with. Is there some kind of "thanks but no thanks, I like you but not on FB" button?
Jaybee

Pastor Fireball

Re: Facebook question

#2 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon May 08, 2017 7:17 am

A private message is really the only route for explaining it. You certainly don't want to ignore the friend request without physically tapping the "Confirm Request" or "Delete Request" buttons. Only a disrespectful inhuman coward would outright ignore a request for days, weeks, or even years without some kind of physical or written response.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 08, 2017 7:45 am

Pastor Fireball wrote:A private message is really the only route for explaining it. You certainly don't want to ignore the friend request without physically tapping the "Confirm Request" or "Delete Request" buttons. Only a disrespectful inhuman coward would outright ignore a request for days, weeks, or even years without some kind of physical or written response.
But if you send a private message to someone who isn't your Friend, it goes to a separate inbox where it will probably be ignored.

You're probably getting requests from the general public. You can go to your settings and select your privacy setting "Who can contact me?" to "Friends of Friends" to greatly reduce the requests.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 08, 2017 7:47 am

You should have set up Paddle Knoxville as a Group instead of a Page.

I hope they paddle better than they drive on I-40. :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

bazodee

#5 Post by bazodee » Mon May 08, 2017 8:04 am

You have another option.

You can Friend someone, but just control the amount of their content that comes into your feed. Once you Friend them, go to their home page and click under the Follow box. There you can change the setting to Unfollow (but still remain friends).

You also have control over individual threads. If you responded on a thread and are tired of getting notifications every time someone else posts to it, you can shut down further notifications.

Last, I agree with Bob in that your paddling page would be better set up as a Group.

jaybee

#6 Post by jaybee » Mon May 08, 2017 5:57 pm

Thanks for the replies, I am a total FB noob.

All my friend requests are only from people that I actually know so I can get in touch with them.

When my S-I-L helped me set this up, we went back and forth of doing a page vs a group. I can't remember if it was just easier to set up the page or if it met the simple requirement that I needed. The only reason it's there is so anyone who was in the race can go somewhere and see their times.

Thanks again.
Jaybee