Is there a WWTBAM practice test?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
triviawayne

Is there a WWTBAM practice test?

#1 Post by triviawayne » Mon May 08, 2017 10:19 am

On the Jeopardy website, they have a practice test so you can ensure your browser will work for the real test, and there are many prior tests available on youtube for anyone to see and practice with.

Does anyone know of a good WWTBAM practice test online? Did anyone make one on this board and have a thread for it (I couldn't find one using the search)?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Is there a WWTBAM practice test?

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:11 pm

triviawayne wrote:On the Jeopardy website, they have a practice test so you can ensure your browser will work for the real test, and there are many prior tests available on youtube for anyone to see and practice with.

Does anyone know of a good WWTBAM practice test online? Did anyone make one on this board and have a thread for it (I couldn't find one using the search)?
I don't think anyone has undertaken that exercise. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

TheConfessor

#3 Post by TheConfessor » Mon May 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
triviawayne wrote:On the Jeopardy website, they have a practice test so you can ensure your browser will work for the real test, and there are many prior tests available on youtube for anyone to see and practice with.

For many years, it was common for the show to use the same test over and over again at live auditions in different cities. It was generally understood around here that those questions should not be shared, in the interest of fairness. So there's not much documented history about what was on the tests.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Mon May 08, 2017 7:10 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

For many years, it was common for the show to use the same test over and over again at live auditions in different cities. It was generally understood around here that those questions should not be shared, in the interest of fairness. So there's not much documented history about what was on the tests.
IIRC, ALL questions had been taken from actual stacks on the show, so there is no better preparation than going over the transcripts.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#5 Post by triviawayne » Mon May 08, 2017 7:55 pm

The tests were and still are from the show. I was just hoping to find a millionaire practice test for what I'm doing in two weeks. I couldn't put one together myself as I don't know how to spread out the difficulty for realism.

This is what I'm doing in two weeks

https://m.facebook.com/groups/164962507 ... =bookmarks

bazodee

#6 Post by bazodee » Tue May 09, 2017 7:57 am

triviawayne wrote:The tests were and still are from the show. I was just hoping to find a millionaire practice test for what I'm doing in two weeks. I couldn't put one together myself as I don't know how to spread out the difficulty for realism.

IIRC, almost all the questions would be drawn from the middle third of the stack, questions 6-10

triviawayne

#7 Post by triviawayne » Tue May 09, 2017 9:50 am

bazodee wrote:
triviawayne wrote:The tests were and still are from the show. I was just hoping to find a millionaire practice test for what I'm doing in two weeks. I couldn't put one together myself as I don't know how to spread out the difficulty for realism.

IIRC, almost all the questions would be drawn from the middle third of the stack, questions 6-10
yes, no and maybe.

when they started grabbing questions directly from the previous season for the next season's test, some were from the first five, some were from the next five. I don't know if any were from the top five, but unlikely as only about 5% of all questions we see on the show are from those top five (now four).

If I were to make my own practice test, I would have about 10 questions from the upper part of that middle third of the stack.

When they first had open tests, everyone was given the same test, but all the questions were in a "random" order so people couldn't copy answers from the person next to them. One of those tests, I was in a spot where I could hear them using the Scantron machine to grade the tests. They just jammed everyone's through in a couple of minutes.

This means they never had to reset the answer key for grading tests, which also means everyone had to have the A, B, C and D answers in the same sequence as the tests were being graded. I believe there were only ten questions that mattered on the test and 7/10 would've been passing (I have since been able to determine either 22 or 23 of 30 is passing); and I believe those ten questions that mattered were in the same place on everyone's test. That way they could have a single answer key on the machine.

After a couple of years of this method, they started giving everyone the same test with questions in the same order; and yeah, still chucked them through the machine at the same rate. At this point, they could still only be grading ten questions, or go with the 22 or 23 of 30 to score them.

jaybee

#8 Post by jaybee » Tue May 09, 2017 7:20 pm

It would be easy enough to mix up the order of the same questions on the test and still make it so that they were arranged to be read by one scanning program. You could have three different question # 1's but as long as all had, say - 'B' for a correct answer then the PA's could get then graded faster. We had so little actual facts about the test scoring process that they really could rearrange just a few questions - like those at the top or bottom of the page - to be enough to dissuade any cheaters.

The 22 or 23 out of 30 number is probably pretty much on target. However I remember some speculation that BAM would use a sliding scale simply to target a number of passers from each test location. But this was more relevant when most of the auditions were on the road. From what I've learned first-hand from the other side of the TV show audition process I would say that it is 100% certain that the thresholds on audition tests get moved all over the place to suit what is needed.
Jaybee

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Tue May 09, 2017 7:38 pm

triviawayne wrote:This means they never had to reset the answer key for grading tests, which also means everyone had to have the A, B, C and D answers in the same sequence as the tests were being graded.
How sophisticated was Scantron and its forms? Didn't they have the ability to mark each answer form with a (scannable) code to indicate to which answer key it should be compared?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#10 Post by triviawayne » Wed May 10, 2017 2:01 pm

Estonut wrote:
triviawayne wrote:This means they never had to reset the answer key for grading tests, which also means everyone had to have the A, B, C and D answers in the same sequence as the tests were being graded.
How sophisticated was Scantron and its forms? Didn't they have the ability to mark each answer form with a (scannable) code to indicate to which answer key it should be compared?

While that may have been possible, the answer sheets were handed out independently of the tests, so they weren't matched up for that to have been the case.

triviawayne

#11 Post by triviawayne » Wed May 10, 2017 2:08 pm

jaybee wrote:It would be easy enough to mix up the order of the same questions on the test and still make it so that they were arranged to be read by one scanning program. You could have three different question # 1's but as long as all had, say - 'B' for a correct answer then the PA's could get then graded faster. We had so little actual facts about the test scoring process that they really could rearrange just a few questions - like those at the top or bottom of the page - to be enough to dissuade any cheaters.

The 22 or 23 out of 30 number is probably pretty much on target. However I remember some speculation that BAM would use a sliding scale simply to target a number of passers from each test location. But this was more relevant when most of the auditions were on the road. From what I've learned first-hand from the other side of the TV show audition process I would say that it is 100% certain that the thresholds on audition tests get moved all over the place to suit what is needed.
While it would certainly be possible to have all the answers in the same order, it would be highly unlikely for this to be the case here as the questions were lifted straight from shows that had already aired. Not only were the questions lifted, but the answers were in the same order as on the show, which would make that more complicated to accomplish.

There were always a varied amount of people who passed each audition, there was even a time I was the only person who passed. As long as they had as many people in the pool as they needed, there was no need for them to do sliding scales or anything like that.

What is this "first-hand from the other side of the TV show audition process" you mentioned? If you're talking about one show you know of, that doesn't mean every other show does it. Jeopardy would be the most likely where that would be done as the automatic grading can either spit out those who achieved a particular or greater score; or it can spit out a top ten percentile type of passing score.