Philately Shop(s) in Bulawayo

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Philately Shop(s) in Bulawayo

#1 Post by Spock » Fri May 12, 2017 8:23 pm

This comment by the editor of one of my hunting magazines intrigued me in several ways and rang the memory bell.

He said that, as a child, he frequented the philately shops in Bulawayo, Rhodesia/Zimbabwe. Presumably, this was in the 60's,70's-maybe 80's.

1) I recall from my youth that several local variety stores in the area in the 1970's had a corner set aside for stamp collectors. They had bags of unsorted stamps to sort that were neat to buy. I haven't seen this type of thing for decades. Presumably stamp collecting has fallen out of favor since that time.

2) Apparently, there were multiple (at least 2) philately shops in Bulawayo during the relevant time. Anybody interested in going into partnership to start a stamp collecting shop in Zimbabwe today. I would imagine they are pretty rare on the ground there now.

3) It sometimes crosses my mind to dig out my old stamp collection (last seen about 1980) and seeing if any stamps are worth anything.

4) It kinda sorta makes me want to do something with stamp collecting again. I really enjoyed it.

TheConfessor

Re: Philately Shop(s) in Bulawayo

#2 Post by TheConfessor » Sat May 13, 2017 2:10 am

Stamp collecting was a big deal in my family when I was a little kid. I learned a lot of trivia from looking at stamps. I consider philately one of the major foundations that my total knowledge is based upon. One of the questions I had in the WWTBAM hotseat asked the current price of a first class stamp (in 2001).