Dan Rather’s Facebook Post After Trump Fired Comey

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Dan Rather’s Facebook Post After Trump Fired Comey

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 pm

“Future generations may mark today as one of the truly dark days in American history, a history that may soon take an even more ominous turn.

President Trump’s sudden firing of FBI Director James Comey is a matter that should deeply concern every American, regardless of party, partisan politics or ideological leanings.

The independence of our law enforcement is at the bedrock of our democracy. That independence, already grievously shaken under the brief tenure of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, is now shattered by uncertainty.

The firing of an FBI Director is always a very serious matter in normal times. But these times aren’t normal. Far from it. The Bureau is engaged in one of the most important and perilous investigations of this or any other presidency—the investigation of connections between the Trump election campaign and the Russian government.

The questions mount and the shadow grows darker. What were those connections? What did Mr. Trump know about them and when did he know it? How can the President explain the serious allegations against his former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn? And what is President Trump hiding in this regard? It’s imperative that the nation—We The People—get answers to those questions. It will take time, but the process must start now.

A politicized FBI is the last thing we need as we struggle through the maze of lies, concealment and ever-deepening mysteries. The last time a President fired prosecutors who were investigating him was Richard Nixon during the widespread criminal conspiracy known for short as “Watergate.” We all know how that turned out. In real ways, this potential scandal and coverup are much graver. We are talking about the very security of the United States and the sanctity of our republic.

Thomas Paine famously wrote in 1776: “These are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. ”

I see this as having the potential for a similar reflection point in our American story. If there is a cover up, if our nation is at the risk that has certainly been more than suggested, it is incumbent upon everyone who claims to love this nation to demand answers.

We need a special prosecutor. We need an independent investigation. There is, obviously, much we don’t know about what has just happened, why it happened and why now. Just as obviously there is much more, so much more that we need know. We need to damn the lies and expose the truth.”
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: Dan Rather’s Facebook Post After Trump Fired Comey

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 am

I see Dan is still lying
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

SpacemanSpiff

#3 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Fri May 12, 2017 8:11 am

As an aside, I've taken to watching old Alabama football games on YouTube. If you pull up the Alabama-Tennessee game of 1973, you'll see the game frequently interrupted (and the halftime almost totally overtaken) by the events leading up to the Saturday Night Massacre. From a historical standpoint, it's interesting to see the events unfold.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

franktangredi

#4 Post by franktangredi » Fri May 12, 2017 11:17 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I see Dan is still lying
I think you need a refresher course in the meaning of the word "lying." Expressing an opinion different than your own is not lying.

Don't worry, you aren't alone. Lots of people are showing the same disregard for the English language these days.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:40 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I see Dan is still lying
Which language in Rather's post is factually false? (We'll leave aside, for the moment, your additional assertion that he knowingly made a factually false assertion.) --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jaybee

#6 Post by jaybee » Fri May 12, 2017 1:47 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:As an aside, I've taken to watching old Alabama football games on YouTube. If you pull up the Alabama-Tennessee game of 1973, you'll see the game frequently interrupted (and the halftime almost totally overtaken) by the events leading up to the Saturday Night Massacre. From a historical standpoint, it's interesting to see the events unfold.
Sadly, as I sit here typing this in Knoxville Tennessee, about 10 miles from Neyland Stadium, my recollections are that most Alabama / Tennessee football games result in a Saturday night massacre. :?
Jaybee

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Fri May 12, 2017 6:25 pm

What did he have to say when Clinton fired Sessions?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 12, 2017 11:11 pm

BackInTex wrote:What did he have to say when Clinton fired Sessions?
Sessions wasn't investigating the Clinton Administration. And President Clinton's Administration appointed the independent counsel that resulted in his impeachment and acquittal. When will an independent counsel be appointed to investigate Donny and his Administration? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Sat May 13, 2017 7:49 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Sessions wasn't investigating the Clinton Administration. And President Clinton's Administration appointed the independent counsel that resulted in his impeachment and acquittal. When will an independent counsel be appointed to investigate Donny and his Administration? --Bob
The Clinton administration was under investigation at the time of Sessions's firing. And the independent counsel was not appointed for another 13 or so months after the firing. So untwist your panties and wait another year.

For someone with their eyes open, there are many similarities in both firings. And differences. I don't expect you to acknowledge the similarities.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Sat May 13, 2017 8:04 am

Dan Rather's post is one of the most hypocritical things I've seen.
Dan Rather wrote:Future generations may mark today as one of the truly dark days in American history, a history that may soon take an even more ominous turn.

The independence of our law enforcement is at the bedrock of our democracy. That independence, already grievously shaken under the brief tenure of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, is now shattered by uncertainty.
Also at the bedrock of our democracy it an independent and honest press, not one that makes up stuff against a sitting politician because you don't agree with his policies. Dan fracked that piece of the bedrock years ago. And he continues today. Shameful.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

mrkelley23

#11 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:00 am

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
The Clinton administration was under investigation at the time of Sessions's firing. And the independent counsel was not appointed for another 13 or so months after the firing. So untwist your panties and wait another year.

For someone with their eyes open, there are many similarities in both firings. And differences. I don't expect you to acknowledge the similarities.
Your statement that the Clinton administration was under investigation at the time of Sessions' firing is demonstrably false. The FBI was not investigating either of the Clintons at that time. Unless, of course, you are disingenuously conflating other investigations of the Clintons not related to the FBI. But you wouldn't provide misinformation like that, would you? It (the firing) did, however cause the relationship between the FBI and the Clintons to deteriorate rapidly. But Sessions had been extensively investigated BY PRESIDENT BUSH's team, and was the subject of a lengthy report about his ethics violations. I would be fascinated to hear what your eyes-open assessment of the similarities are in these firings, other than they were done by two ethically-challenged presidents who probably will both regret them eventually.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

tlynn78

Re: Dan Rather’s Facebook Post ...

#12 Post by tlynn78 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:15 am

Meh. I somewhat prefer Tom Brokaw's more measured, less spittle-laden take.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire