2017 Audition List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
TheConfessor

Re: 2017 Audition List

#126 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:08 pm

At least one person from TCONA got the call and is taping tomorrow. That person was urgently seeking a +1 earlier today, but I think that has been resolved. Based on several reports, the show will have several very accomplished game show and trivia players next season. It appears that they would like to have a $1M winner, but I don't know how likely that is. This season could be pretty interesting.

jascarter1

#127 Post by jascarter1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:23 pm

I got the :( :( email today. I was pretty much expecting that after I didn't answer all of the questions correctly on the video audition. I'm really devastated.

Hopefully the show comes back for another season and I can try again next summer.

:( :( :(

plasticene

#128 Post by plasticene » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:36 pm

I got my sad e-mail today as well. There are a few things I could have done differently in the video interview, but I'm encouraged that I finally managed to make it to that point.

jascarter1

#129 Post by jascarter1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:37 pm

plasticene wrote:I got my sad e-mail today as well. There are a few things I could have done differently in the video interview, but I'm encouraged that I finally managed to make it to that point.
Did you answer all of the questions correctly in the video interview? I thought they were very hard, and it was hard to even remember that answers without seeing them. But maybe that's the point...

ohiomathtchr

#130 Post by ohiomathtchr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:31 pm

plasticene wrote:I got my sad e-mail today as well. There are a few things I could have done differently in the video interview, but I'm encouraged that I finally managed to make it to that point.
"Sorry" e-mail received here about 2 hours ago. :-(

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#131 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:43 pm

jascarter1 wrote:
Did you answer all of the questions correctly in the video interview? I thought they were very hard, and it was hard to even remember that answers without seeing them. But maybe that's the point...
It's not. They don't care whether you answer those questions correctly. I'm in the pool and I answered one of mine incorrectly. The only point of the video is to confirm that you'll be good television, particularly when working out a question. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#132 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:44 pm

Which day did you audition? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#133 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:45 pm

peiboy91, auditioned May 30, :(
Bob78164, auditioned May 31, :)
ghostjmf, auditioned June 5, :(
Steven Sousa, auditioned June 5, :)
marklash, auditioned June 7, :D, taping July 24
goongas, auditioned June 9, passed written test*
popartist, auditioning June 9
DukeOfIllyria, auditioned June 9, :(
jm49, auditioned June 9, passed written test
Agrajag, auditioned June 9, :D, taping July 25
cf1140, auditioned June 19, :(
danangel, auditioned July 18, :D, taped July 31
jascarter1, auditioned August 4, :(
ohiomathtchr, auditioned August 5, :(

triviawayne

#134 Post by triviawayne » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:05 pm

jascarter1 wrote:
I had a tough one in a video interview, they asked which of the following was the highest number:

A. countries in south america
B. syllables in a haiku
C. ivy league schools
D. something I don't remember now

I had to keep asking the choices and said that's a tough one without seeing it on a screen. I got it correct, but it must've been a little annoying for the person.

Really, they are looking to see if you're not nervous on camera and to watch you work through questions instead of just answering them. Although...

When I did the on-camera interview for decades in 2013 (80s), I made it into the regular contestant pool from that video interview. In that one, the guy asked me a question, then for some reason took a long pause before giving me the answers. So I answered it thinking for some reason there wasn't going to be choices here.

He kept asking me questions and I just answered them without having to put any thought into it (yeah, it was for 80s week). He finally got to one I didn't know, I started to try and reason it out, and he said, "let me give you the choices."

I was surprised and said, "these are multiple choice???!!!" Why didn't you tell me? I was wondering why this was different from the show."

I think he just liked seeing how easy 80s trivia was for me, but I got in the pool!

jascarter1

#135 Post by jascarter1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
jascarter1 wrote:
It's not. They don't care whether you answer those questions correctly. I'm in the pool and I answered one of mine incorrectly. The only point of the video is to confirm that you'll be good television, particularly when working out a question. --Bob

That's what I thought, the first person I talked to said it was more about how you reason and talk through them, not about getting the right or wrong. I thought I did a great job of doing that, and they told me I had a great energy, and that's all that matters. But I guess my energy wasn't good enough.

plasticene

#136 Post by plasticene » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:23 pm

jascarter1 wrote:
I did, and I talked out the answer to the first one nicely, but sort of went straight to the answer on the second one, even though internally I got it by process of elimination. I also just smiled and clapped when I got them right. I think I could have been a little more enthusiastic without crossing the line into obviously faking it.

The whole thing went perfectly fine, but even in the short time it took, I was doing a lot of internal self-criticism, which was probably creating a negative feedback loop that kept me from coming off as well as I could have.
Bob78164 wrote:
viewtopic.php?p=529274#p529274

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#137 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:29 pm

peiboy91, auditioned May 30, :(
plasticene, auditioned August 5, :(

ghostjmf

#138 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:50 pm

That people get a video interview & then don't get a happy card fills me with sadness. That people get happy card & don't get on show, same.

peiboy91

#139 Post by peiboy91 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 am

I auditioned again at TCONA, got a video interview, and was asked one question. Still haven't heard back yet.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#140 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:52 pm

peiboy91 wrote:I auditioned again at TCONA, got a video interview, and was asked one question. Still haven't heard back yet.

Bob Juch

#141 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:06 pm

peiboy91 wrote:I auditioned again at TCONA, got a video interview, and was asked one question. Still haven't heard back yet.
That's good news because the sad emails seem to have all gone out.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

peiboy91

#142 Post by peiboy91 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
It was last Saturday, the fifth.
Bob Juch wrote:
Hoping you're right!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#143 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:02 pm

peiboy91, auditioned May 30, :( , auditioned August 5, passed written test
plasticene, auditioned August 5, :(

plasticene

#144 Post by plasticene » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:51 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Just to be sure, you should check your spam folder. That's where mine went. Crossing my fingers you don't find anything!

peiboy91

#145 Post by peiboy91 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:32 pm

plasticene wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Just to be sure, you should check your spam folder. That's where mine went. Crossing my fingers you don't find anything!
Still haven't gotten a response, and nothing in the spam folder. Considering tomorrow's the last tape day for the season, I'll have to wait until next year either way.

Steven Sousa

#146 Post by Steven Sousa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Well I guess my happy e-mail was for naught. It says that I'm still in the contestant pool for next year, but has anyone ever heard of someone not get called to tape in the same year they got a happy e-mail/card that got called in the subsequent year?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#147 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Steven Sousa wrote:Well I guess my happy e-mail was for naught. It says that I'm still in the contestant pool for next year, but has anyone ever heard of someone not get called to tape in the same year they got a happy e-mail/card that got called in the subsequent year?
I'm in the same boat. It's happened, but it's not common. --Bob

triviawayne

#148 Post by triviawayne » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Steven Sousa wrote:Well I guess my happy e-mail was for naught. It says that I'm still in the contestant pool for next year, but has anyone ever heard of someone not get called to tape in the same year they got a happy e-mail/card that got called in the subsequent year?
I was called for my 2nd year in the pool

goongas

#149 Post by goongas » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:24 pm

I know someone who was called to tape this year that got their happy card last year. She had to decline because she recently taped another game show. It is rare, but it does happen.

kevin

#150 Post by kevin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:18 am

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks to all that run this site including the transcript team. Millionaire hasn't aired in my market in a few years, so I tried looking over some transcripts before the test, but there were not repeat questions.

I figured I'd provide some insight/data I've gathered about the audition process and taping. (Apologies if this is the wrong place to post and for the length).

I auditioned the first day of taping in Vegas, July 5 when I went out to support a friend (not as a +1). Much to my surprise (I'm more of a game show person than a trivia person), I passed the test along with 6 others (maybe 40-50 took it?). The warm-up guy would read names of passers during the breaks. He was sitting near me so I saw my name on his paper and my heart started to race. I was under the impression the CCs were always watching, so I did a big jump up and scream when he read my name. "That's the enthusiasm they want!" he said after teasing me about it.

After the first taping session, everyone who passed remained in the studio and filled out the same application that is posted online. 3 or 4 APs then sat down with people one-on-one as they finished their written application in the audience seats (in front of everyone - so I could hear some of the interviews. "What would you do with the million?" "Well, how much is it really after taxes? Maybe invest in real estate, but is it a good time for that? And I'm not sure about it California..." Um okay). To my surprise, all 7 of us got the video interview (including people that seemed like they shouldn't have...Maybe because it was the first day...?) with the same producer that did the non-taped interview.

The interview was simply state your name, age, location, and 2 mock questions. I got both right, but was told beforehand they just wanted to see how I would talk out an answer and react to getting it right/wrong. They were pretty tough questions that needed to be talked out and it was harder not seeing the answers. I was genuinely nervous AND genuinely excited when I got them right (maybe because I had just saw the real game and the studio was on the other side of the wall?) As I was doing my interview, the co-exec producer came by to chit chat with me ("What brought you here? What's your availability for the summer?). I told her I work, but with 2 weeks notice I could get off. "2 weeks," she laughed. "I'll give you as much notice as I can. We'll be in touch." I took this as a very good sign.

The +1 of my friend was told to go to the open calls at the Jubilee theater they were having at Bally's. (Plus ones get to leave with their contestant while audience supporters have to stay through the taping). My friend at the open calls had a similar deal but was asked *5* questions at the open calls. He got his happy email *the next day* (in his spam)! I didn't get anything. 1 week...2 weeks. It was driving me nuts. So, against advice of some people (and with the advice of others), I emailed them to make sure they had my email correct. Also, I didn't hold the paper up with my name/city/audition location for my head shot like everyone else.

They never responded to my email and I never got a pool one, but I was called on July 20 to come tape July 27/28!! Of course I said yes. But, I realized how much work I would have to miss and I was already coming to Vegas on 8/2 for a vacation there/TCONA. I called back 5 minutes later and asked if there was any way to get pushed back. She said she would ask and called me back to say I could tape 7/31 and 8/2. Phew! I'd come in a few days earlier, but not too much earlier. This trip was getting expensive enough!

I'm sure there are better accounts of the tape days people have written, but man it does suck simply because you're so secluded and are kept in the dark about everything. Got there at 9:30am w/ my +1. There were 7 holdovers and 5 new contestants. We knew the holdovers would go first (at least I did...they didn't seem to tell anyone that). Let one of us newbies leave around 2:00, another around 4:00, then the last 2 of us at 6:00 (the other I was waiting with was already in hair and make-up, ack!) The order is all random, but they don't tell you what the order is!

I came back on Wednesday, 8/2 (my birthday!!) and saw some prominent former trivia/J/BAM people as contestants and plus ones. I ended up going second or third (after a celeb contestant). They must have re-randomized the holdovers (along with a couple from Tuesday) because the woman ready in hair and make-up went after me.

It truly was a unique experience that I'll never forget. Special thanks to triviawayne that gave me such good advice before going on.

My avatar is a still from a couple seconds of b-roll from the beginning of this news segment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mll78ISY0Xg

Let me know if you have any questions!
Waiting for an air date. Follow me on twitter @IdLike2BuyAnOwl