2017 Audition List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
danangel

Re: 2017 Audition List

#26 Post by danangel » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 pm

Best of luck, Bob#s but I think this is your year! Also, I have cleared my schedule for 7/18 so I will be popping in at the last of the Vegas open calls that day.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#27 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:01 am

peiboy91, auditioned May 30, :(
Bob78164, auditioned May 31, :)
ghostjmf, auditioned June 5, passed written test
goongas, auditioned June 9, passed written test*
popartist, auditioning June 9
danangel, auditioning July 18
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ghostjmf

#28 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Rejection e-mail received today

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#29 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:19 pm

ghostjmf, auditioned June 5, :(
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

DukeOfIllyria

#30 Post by DukeOfIllyria » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Despite having gotten into the pool in July 2015, I got the sad card today after auditioning during the New York road audition. I passed the written test, had a stellar oral interview with my AP, whereafter I was told there would be no video interview because "things were different this year", and I would be contacted next week about next steps. Was I glad-handed or was there some newfangled way of going about things on the road auditions? In any case, I'm quite bummed and any insight from Bored vets would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#31 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:15 pm

DukeOfIllyria wrote:Despite having gotten into the pool in July 2015, I got the sad card today after auditioning during the New York road audition. I passed the written test, had a stellar oral interview with my AP, whereafter I was told there would be no video interview because "things were different this year", and I would be contacted next week about next steps. Was I glad-handed or was there some newfangled way of going about things on the road auditions? In any case, I'm quite bummed and any insight from Bored vets would be appreciated. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure you were glad-handed. But I encourage you to keep trying in future years. You can't win if you don't show up, there's quite a bit of year-to-year turnover among the APs conducting the screening interviews, and it only takes once. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#32 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:16 pm

DukeOfIllyria, auditioned June 9, :(

DukeOfIllyria

#33 Post by DukeOfIllyria » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your kind words. Given my previous success, and what I thought was an improvement on my presentation from my last go around, this is quite the gut punch. I appreciate the consolation.

When I was auditioning, I did not see any video auditioning going on and it seemed like the space that PA's had to conduct tests and interviews was very limited in Pearl Studios, so I walked out of the room feeling good even without the video interview, especially with my PA's reassurances. Did anyone in NYC get a video interview?

Here's hoping that my rejection was the byproduct of some quirky decision making by the producers. Until next year I guess!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#34 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:45 pm

DukeOfIllyria wrote:Hi Bob,

Thank you for your kind words. Given my previous success, and what I thought was an improvement on my presentation from my last go around, this is quite the gut punch. I appreciate the consolation.

When I was auditioning, I did not see any video auditioning going on and it seemed like the space that PA's had to conduct tests and interviews was very limited in Pearl Studios, so I walked out of the room feeling good even without the video interview, especially with my PA's reassurances. Did anyone in NYC get a video interview?

Here's hoping that my rejection was the byproduct of some quirky decision making by the producers. Until next year I guess!
My screening AP (in Los Angeles) specifically told me that they keep word of the video interview on the down low because it's not offered to everyone. In Los Angeles they conduct it in an entirely different room. I expect that's probably also the case in New York. --Bob

jm49

#35 Post by jm49 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:41 am

ghostjmf wrote:Rejection e-mail received today
Do all candidates who make it through all the steps get a email response either way? I auditioned in NYC on Friday, June 9th and got through the test, interview, and screen test. My friend who auditioned in Boston on Monday, June 5th got an email today saying he's in the contestant pool. I didn't receive any email. Does that mean I've been rejected, or will I receive a rejection email if I'm definitely out?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#36 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:26 am

jm49, auditioned June 9, passed written test

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#37 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:28 am

jm49 wrote:
Do all candidates who make it through all the steps get a email response either way? I auditioned in NYC on Friday, June 9th and got through the test, interview, and screen test. My friend who auditioned in Boston on Monday, June 5th got an email today saying he's in the contestant pool. I didn't receive any email. Does that mean I've been rejected, or will I receive a rejection email if I'm definitely out?
I think it means they haven't yet made a decision about you. In the past, I've gotten a Thanks but no thanks response even after the video interview, so I think they'll let you know either way. --Bob

jm49

#38 Post by jm49 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:38 am

Bob78164 wrote:
jm49 wrote:
I think it means they haven't yet made a decision about you. In the past, I've gotten a Thanks but no thanks response even after the video interview, so I think they'll let you know either way. --Bob
Thanks for the response! I'm really hoping I have a shot.

EDIT: I'm in the contestant pool!

Steven Sousa

#39 Post by Steven Sousa » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:17 pm

Auditioned in Boston June 5, just got my happy e-mail yesterday. Yay! First one ever for me.

Now for a question: My daughter is by far my first choice for my +1, but she's travelling abroad and won't be back until July 14. If they call and want me to tape before then, should I tell them I would prefer to delay taping until after that date, or might that in any way risk not getting picked later in the season? If it matters, I had a strong feeling that they were interested in me for the "Had Never Been to Vegas" theme week. So if they call me for that particular week and I say I'm not available, I think I might hurt my chances of getting on the show later in the season, so I would just say yes to that for sure. When they call you for a theme week, do they tell you it's a theme week?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#40 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:58 pm

Steven Sousa wrote:Auditioned in Boston June 5, just got my happy e-mail yesterday. Yay! First one ever for me.

Now for a question: My daughter is by far my first choice for my +1, but she's travelling abroad and won't be back until July 14. If they call and want me to tape before then, should I tell them I would prefer to delay taping until after that date, or might that in any way risk not getting picked later in the season? If it matters, I had a strong feeling that they were interested in me for the "Had Never Been to Vegas" theme week. So if they call me for that particular week and I say I'm not available, I think I might hurt my chances of getting on the show later in the season, so I would just say yes to that for sure. When they call you for a theme week, do they tell you it's a theme week?
Congratulations! Did you get the video audition?

I do think there's a risk, not huge but not insignificant either, that deferring taping for that reason might be an issue. And there are a lot of very accomplished trivia people (present company included) who often are quite willing to help a BB by serving as a Plus One. That's probably particularly the case for those who have not yet been on the show, because it's an opportunity to (a) spend a lot of quality time with the APs who conduct the screening interviews and (b) let the producers see you on camera. (I couldn't say this at the time because it would have revealed a result of game play, but I was told after my screening interview last year that they didn't need a video because the producers had already seen me on camera.) So if they offer you a tape date (particularly if you think they want you for a theme week), I'd strongly suggest that you just take it. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. --Bob

Steven Sousa

#41 Post by Steven Sousa » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:14 pm

I did get the video audition.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#42 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Steven Sousa, auditioned June 5, :)

ghostjmf

#43 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:06 pm

Just for the heck of asking, Steve, in what batch did you take the Boston test? My only other fellow-passer for the 10:00am group looked far too young to have a +1-aged daughter.

I know they were doing video interviews on premises in Boston, because I walked straight toward it on the way to my intake-interview. People inside shooed me away.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steven Sousa

#44 Post by Steven Sousa » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:09 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Just for the heck of asking, Steve, in what batch did you take the Boston test? My only other felliw-passer for the 10:00am group looked far too young to have a +1-aged daughter.

I know they were doing video interviews on premises in Boston, because I walked straight toward it on the way to my intake-interview. People inside shooed me away.
I don't remember exactly. There were definitely more than 2 who passed my batch, so it wasn't with you. I think I took the test at 9.

ghostjmf

#45 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:38 am

If they give you a tape-date, keep it, barring real emergencies, of course. People have stories of their deferment requests being honored, but best not to gamble.

cf1140

#46 Post by cf1140 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:50 am

Hey guys longtime jboard member here posting my first message.

I auditioned in Houston this morning, 6/19/17, in the first test group. I passed the test along with 30 others out of ~100 or so.

But I didn't get a second/video interview. I still enjoyed my time though! Lots of fun.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#47 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:28 pm

Steven Sousa, auditioned June 5, :)
cf1140, auditioned June 19, passed written test

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#48 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:28 pm

cf1140 wrote:Hey guys longtime jboard member here posting my first message.

I auditioned in Houston this morning, 6/19/17, in the first test group. I passed the test along with 30 others out of ~100 or so.

But I didn't get a second/video interview. I still enjoyed my time though! Lots of fun.
Welcome aBored! Please feel free to hang around. --Bob

triviawayne

#49 Post by triviawayne » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:06 pm

cf1140 wrote:Hey guys longtime jboard member here posting my first message.

interesting pass rate there, I've traditionally seen more around 15% for open calls, and I've been to plenty of those.

The in-studio pass rate was much closer to 3%, and once I was the only one who passed.

ghostjmf

#50 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Re pass rate: In my group of 6, the pass rate was 2.

It was the hardest BAM test I've ever taken. Didn't think I passed 'til told I did. was perceptually harder than 2 I actually failed. They may indeed move their "pass bar" around. To get more "people who we find attractive" in the loop.