Prayers for Manchester

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
a1mamacat

Prayers for Manchester

#1 Post by a1mamacat » Mon May 22, 2017 8:11 pm

heartbreak for the victims and families
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

ghostjmf

Re: Prayers for Manchester

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Mon May 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Please G-d make this stop

My heart is with the victims.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 23, 2017 3:58 am

Horrible event. Our sympathy for the victims and families.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue May 23, 2017 4:28 am

Your death at the hands of terrorists is an acceptable loss
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue May 23, 2017 8:51 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Your death at the hands of terrorists is an acceptable loss
I just don't understand.

And then I get angry because I feel stupid, and leave.

Who is the you in "your"? Acceptable to whom? Is this just stuff that everyone else knows?

Angry.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

#6 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue May 23, 2017 9:14 am

Ritterskoop wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Your death at the hands of terrorists is an acceptable loss
I just don't understand.

Who is the you in "your"? Acceptable to whom? Is this just stuff that everyone else knows?

Angry.
Fill in the blank

___________________ considers your death at the hand of terrorists an acceptable loss

Suggestions include
Your Government
Your Mayor
The EU
The Independent ( UK)
Muslim apologists
The BBC
CNN
Twitter
Facebook
Open Border advocates
Ariana Grande prior to yesterday
people crying Islamophobia
The British Labor Party
Bill Ayres
Puerto Rico Parade organizers

just as long as its your death rather than the death of them or their children
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

#7 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue May 23, 2017 9:28 am

Suitguy is not bitter.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue May 23, 2017 10:31 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
I just don't understand.

Angry.
Fill in the blank

___________________ considers your death at the hand of terrorists an acceptable loss

Suggestions include
Your Government
Your Mayor
The EU
The Independent ( UK)
Muslim apologists
The BBC
CNN
Twitter
Facebook
Open Border advocates
The British Labor Party
Bill Ayres

Is there really a reason to turn this into a political thread today?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 23, 2017 11:34 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
This wasn't an act of God or an accident. Politics created the environment that caused and allowed this to happen. Delaying the discussion delays any actions that might prevent a future massacre, if preventing future massacres is something we might want to do.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#10 Post by Spock » Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 am

BackInTex wrote:
This wasn't an act of God or an accident. Politics created the environment that caused and allowed this to happen. Delaying the discussion delays any actions that might prevent a future massacre, if preventing future massacres is something we might want to do.
Mark Steyn has a long column out today.

https://www.steynonline.com/7841/danger ... gerous-man

Closing paragraph
>>>"As I asked around Europe all last year: What's the happy ending here? In a decade it will be worse, and in two decades worse still, and then in three decades people will barely recall how it used to be, when all that warmth and vibrancy of urban life that Owen Jones hymns in today's Guardian is but a memory, and the music has died away, and Manchester is as dull and listless as today's Alexandria. If Mrs May or Frau Merkel has a happier ending, I'd be interested to hear it. If not, it is necessary not to carry on, but to change, and soon - before it's too late.<<<<

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 pm

Spock wrote: Mark Steyn has a long column out today.

https://www.steynonline.com/7841/danger ... gerous-man

Closing paragraph
>>>"As I asked around Europe all last year: What's the happy ending here? In a decade it will be worse, and in two decades worse still, and then in three decades people will barely recall how it used to be, when all that warmth and vibrancy of urban life that Owen Jones hymns in today's Guardian is but a memory, and the music has died away, and Manchester is as dull and listless as today's Alexandria. If Mrs May or Frau Merkel has a happier ending, I'd be interested to hear it. If not, it is necessary not to carry on, but to change, and soon - before it's too late.<<<<
Steyn is much easier to read than listen to.

You missed the best part, part that this board will appreciate and understand....
..acknowledge atrocity without addressing it - like the Eloi in H G Wells' Time Machine, too evolved to resist the Morlocks.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:42 pm

BackInTex wrote:
I understand your point. But people reading a thread entitled "Prayers for Manchester" might be put off by a political discussion. Perhaps the political aspects could be discussed in a different thread with a title that alerts people that the discussion is political.

I'm well aware that many of the remaining people on the Bored don't care to participate, or even experience, political discussions here. That's why in my own political threads, at least, I try to use the title to make clear that the discussion will be political. It seems to me to be common courtesy. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

christie1111
11:11

#13 Post by christie1111 » Tue May 23, 2017 5:55 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:
I just don't understand.

Angry.
Fill in the blank

Suggestions include
Your Government
Your Mayor
The EU
The Independent ( UK)
Muslim apologists
The BBC
CNN
Twitter
Facebook
Open Border advocates
The British Labor Party
Bill Ayres

Which explains why therefore so few people here anymore.

SMH and leaving again for awhile.

Ridiculous to post this in a thread of this nature. I came by to say that it appears none of family or their friends were there.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Ritterskoop

#14 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue May 23, 2017 7:07 pm

I grant that every topic is political. Truly. That doesn't bother me - it strikes me as appropriate, when we look at these questions in big ways.

I simply did not understand who would say what SuitGuy was "quoting," and it turns out he wasn't quoting anyone. I still don't get his point, but I see what he wanted to say.

The question of how much liberty are we willing to give up in exchange for safety is about 400 years old now. I always find it a compelling discussion, though it sucks when we have to lose people in order for it to get underway.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

mellytu74

#15 Post by mellytu74 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:33 am

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL INTENT....

My heart just broke for that couple who was looking for their daughter, Olivia.

She was found among the dead and, when I saw that smiling face, I just lost it.

And the tales of strangers helping children and teens out of harm's way -- they give me glimmers of hope.

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:21 am

christie1111 wrote: I came by to say that it appears none of family or their friends were there.
Thank God for that, Christie. It's funny, (odd, not ha-ha) that no matter how long it's been between postings, or between visits here, there are just some occurrences that will bring me here almost immediately. For better or worse, tragedy is one of those occurrences, and one of my first thoughts was of your family - I don't even know where, generally, they live in England, but still..
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:59 am

mellytu74 wrote:BACK TO THE ORIGINAL INTENT....

And the tales of strangers helping children and teens out of harm's way -- they give me glimmers of hope.
I saw on Facebook a picture of what appeared to be a huge rally in Manchester the day after the tragedy. I couldn't help thinking the picture should have been captioned "Manchester United." --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Wed May 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:BACK TO THE ORIGINAL INTENT....

I saw on Facebook a picture of what appeared to be a huge rally in Manchester the day after the tragedy. I couldn't help thinking the picture should have been captioned "Manchester United." --Bob
NBC did say "Manchester United."
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

#19 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:20 pm

A van and knives tonight in London
Suitguy is not bitter.