Trump Budget Based on $2 Trillion Math Error

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Trump Budget Based on $2 Trillion Math Error

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 23, 2017 11:30 am

One of the ways Donald Trump’s budget claims to balance the budget over a decade, without cutting defense or retirement spending, is to assume a $2 trillion increase in revenue through economic growth. This is the magic of the still-to-be-designed Trump tax cuts. But wait — if you recall, the magic of the Trump tax cuts is also supposed to pay for the Trump tax cuts. So the $2 trillion is a double-counting error.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... error.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

Re: Trump Budget Based on $2 Trillion Math Error

#2 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 23, 2017 11:53 am

Do you intentionally plagiarize or can you not figure out to use the Quote button or tags?

Also, the article is hogwash.

If I ran Taco Bell back in the 90's, and said "By reducing the price of taco's by 65% I will increase our overall profits by 20%", I am implying that increased volume will cover not only the lost margin per taco but increase overall profits. It should go without saying that the increased volume times the lower margin exceeds the current volume times the current margin.

Just because I don't say it doesn't mean I double counted anything. I was correct to begin with. Trump may be correct now.

Basically, according to the article, this is Trump's plan, in a nutshell:

(Current taxable income * current tax rate) - current expenses = x

(Future taxable income * future tax rate) - future expenses = x + $2 trillion

Constraint: Current expense = Future expenses

That is an easy solve. Where is anything double counted?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 23, 2017 4:14 pm

BackInTex wrote:Do you intentionally plagiarize or can you not figure out to use the Quote button or tags?
I gave the link. I don't bother with the quote when I supply the link.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Tue May 23, 2017 5:46 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:Do you intentionally plagiarize or can you not figure out to use the Quote button or tags?
I gave the link. I don't bother with the quote when I supply the link.
So you intentionally plagiarize. Not "bothering with the quote" gives the impression that those words are yours. Not everyone bothers with your links.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#5 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Maybe you'll understand Time's explanation: http://time.com/4791113/trump-budget-math-mistake/

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 23, 2017 7:35 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Maybe you'll understand Time's explanation: http://time.com/4791113/trump-budget-math-mistake/
Its the same bogus double-speak addressed to an unsophisticated audience.

One could say "for Trump's tax cuts to pay for themselves, the economy would have to grow at 4.5 percent over the next 10 years." and say that is unrealistically optimistic. That's O.K. It may or may not be correct, but to say there is an error, a double counting, is false.

A tax rate cut does not "pay for itself". There is nothing to "pay for".

a * b = c

lowering b while assuming an increase in a can result in c remaining the same (paying for itself, if you insist), c increasing (more than paying for itself), or decreasing, in which case it was a flawed plan. And a could actually decrease which would be really bad. But if you lower b, all other things being equal, a will increase. How much is the unknown.
Last edited by BackInTex on Tue May 23, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 23, 2017 7:45 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Maybe you'll understand Time's explanation: http://time.com/4791113/trump-budget-math-mistake/
Its the same bogus double-speak.
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Tue May 23, 2017 7:47 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Its the same bogus double-speak.
You can't do either.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#9 Post by Bob78164 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Here's a clearer explanation. The same $2 trillion is used to offset revenue losses from reducing tax rates for high-income taxpayers and also to close the budget deficit. That's double-counting. This Administration remains the gang that can't shoot straight. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Jeemie

#10 Post by Jeemie » Wed May 24, 2017 7:57 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote: Its the same bogus double-speak.
You can't do either.
Bob's right...if you understand Trump is assuming the tax cuts will be revenue neutral (which Trump does).

Let's keep it simple. These aren't the real numbers but they'll do.

Trump cuts taxes by $2 trillion. Assuming no economic growth, this results in a revenue decline of $2 trillion. Trump is saying the economy WILL grow to offset that $2 trillion in revenue declines. To keep the tax cuts revenue neutral, that means the $2 trillion in economic growth goes to increased tax revenues.

HOWEVER, Trump is ALSO increasing spending by $2 trillion. That means the BUDGET DEFICIT has gone up by $4 TRILLION ($2 trillion decrease in revenues...$2 trillion increase in spending).

The economy therefore has to grow to create $4 TRILLION in additional revenues, not $2 TRILLION, in order to close the budget deficit AND keep the tax cuts revenue neutral.

Hence- Trump is double-counting the same money- using that same money for two different purposes....keeping tax cuts revenue neutral, and balancing the budget.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:07 am

Here's another good one. Donny promises (on page 19 of this document) to "abolish the death tax." But his budget (in Table 11-1 of this document) assumes annual receipts of approximately $100 billion from estate and gift taxes.

This budget is a lie. And a particularly clumsy one. Which should surprise absolutely no one. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#12 Post by Estonut » Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 am

Bob78164 wrote:Here's another good one. Donny promises (on page 19 of this document) to "abolish the death tax." But his budget (in Table 11-1 of this document) assumes annual receipts of approximately $100 billion from estate and gift taxes.

This budget is a lie. And a particularly clumsy one. Which should surprise absolutely no one.
Your links are a lie. And a particularly clumsy one. Which should surprise absolutely no one.
Groucho Marx

Jeemie

#13 Post by Jeemie » Fri May 26, 2017 5:18 am

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Here's another good one. Donny promises (on page 19 of this document) to "abolish the death tax." But his budget (in Table 11-1 of this document) assumes annual receipts of approximately $100 billion from estate and gift taxes.

This budget is a lie. And a particularly clumsy one. Which should surprise absolutely no one.
Your links are a lie. And a particularly clumsy one. Which should surprise absolutely no one.
At least you're agreeing the current folks putting the content on whitehouse.gov can't be trusted to tell the truth... 8)
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:38 am

Estonut wrote:

You think someone hacked whitehouse.gov? And no one noticed? That may be even more troubling. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:58 am

Estonut wrote:

I see the problem. I used the wrong link for the second document. I've fixed it now.

And I see that the document has been changed since I posted the link last night. I guess Donny does read the New York Times. Or perhaps Occam's Razor provides the correct solution -- I read the line above the intended line. He's actually only attributing $30 billion in average annual revenues to a tax he says he'll repeal. --Bob

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Fri May 26, 2017 8:04 pm

Jeemie wrote:
Estonut wrote:

At least you're agreeing the current folks putting the content on whitehouse.gov can't be trusted to tell the truth... 8)
Not quite. I'm saying Bob can't be trusted to correctly post a link. Mr. "Cite Please" can't do it himself.
Groucho Marx