Halloween wedding

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

Halloween wedding

#1 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:17 am

I guess it's time for me to face up to it - my third son is getting married, on Halloween. elladan is the "off-beat" member of the brood, and the girl he's marrying is nice but is of a similar bent. So naturally, they decided to get married on October 31st and make it a "costume party" wedding. Everyone is supposed to come in some sort of costume, even the father of the groom (yours truly). Evidently they're trying to find a minister who will go along with this idea. They're getting married in a park, with a picnic planned for the reception.

I'm a little ambiguous in how I feel about this - he is two years older than I was when I got married, and I suspect that my maturity level then was on a par with his now, but I just don't think he's ready for this. He has been living with the girl for almost a year, though, and I'm glad that they have finally decided to take this step, but still...
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

Re: Halloween wedding

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:30 am

Congratulations to elladan!
earendel wrote:So naturally, they decided to get married on October 31st and make it a "costume party" wedding. Everyone is supposed to come in some sort of costume, even the father of the groom (yours truly).
I'll polish up my chains! :)

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#3 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:18 am

Why don't you dress up as a father of the groom. :)

I contemplated a Halloween wedding, but realized that my parents and family might not appreciate it.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:22 am

As PSM quite rightly pointed out, at most weddings the parties come in costume, A tuxedo would make an excellent costume.

Or you could go as themanintheseersuckersuit, but they might not get the joke.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:40 am

It was always a tough road for me when Pealette was dead set on doing something I was not sure about. I hope that it works out for your son and his bride.

wintergreen48

#6 Post by wintergreen48 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:14 am

You can borrow one of my outfits, they're perfect for any Father.

nitrah55

#7 Post by nitrah55 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:17 am

It's one thing to attend your son's wedding about which you have misgivings.

It's another thing to attend your son's wedding about which you have misgivings while dressed weird.

Not to play Dr. Phil here, but do you think your son's choice of Halloween with costumes is his way of not facing his family with this decision? Or, by having people dressing up, forcing his family to go along with it?

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:18 am

I think one of the hardest thing as a parent is to watch your child make his own decisions and live with the outcome. It's also the most rewarding, sometimes. Best of luck to you. It may be a bit difficult, but embracing their plans will help build a better relationship between you and the 'couple' that your son is becoming.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:48 am

My first response is "He is mocking the serious nature of the commitment" and I would try to get him to understand the consequences, not of the wedding, but of the marriage.

My second response is "I think most people take the wedding far too seriously and don't take the marriage serious enough." So maybe, in some way this is his way of showing the foolishness of a serious wedding, and hopefully during the event he will speak and let everyone know his serious dedication to the marriage.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#10 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:49 am

One of the best weddings I ever attended was on Halloween, with costumes worn by the entire wedding party. Costumes for guests were optional, but most everyone came up with something. The invitations and decorations were adapted from Edward Gorey drawings.

The whole thing was fun! Everyone involved laughed often and long, as happens at all great celebrations.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#11 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:58 am

Your son will probably always remember his anniversary, which is better than many men.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#12 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:34 pm

They can do worse than to go through life together with laughter and whimsy in their hearts. I wish for them that their whole journey as a married couple is filled with the light heartedness that they are taking their first step with.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#13 Post by kayrharris » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:08 pm

TMITSSS has a great suggestion and I do wish them the best of luck.

Not much time for planning and I hope the weather cooperates. I do wish them a long and happy marriage.

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:45 pm

nitrah55 wrote:It's one thing to attend your son's wedding about which you have misgivings.

It's another thing to attend your son's wedding about which you have misgivings while dressed weird.

Not to play Dr. Phil here, but do you think your son's choice of Halloween with costumes is his way of not facing his family with this decision? Or, by having people dressing up, forcing his family to go along with it?
No, it's just my son's natural weirdness shining forth. And costumes aren't required, but are suggested. I thought about wearing a T-shirt that elwing bought for me that reads, "Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

earendel

#15 Post by earendel » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:46 pm

BackInTex wrote:My first response is "He is mocking the serious nature of the commitment" and I would try to get him to understand the consequences, not of the wedding, but of the marriage.
Been there, done that. Our pastor has been doing counseling with them about this. But he's agreed to perform the wedding AND wear a costume, so I guess I need to lighten up a little.
BackInTex wrote:My second response is "I think most people take the wedding far too seriously and don't take the marriage serious enough." So maybe, in some way this is his way of showing the foolishness of a serious wedding, and hopefully during the event he will speak and let everyone know his serious dedication to the marriage.
Good point.

christie1111
11:11

#16 Post by christie1111 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:49 pm

earendel wrote:"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."
I like that alot!

Just the right sense of humor for the occasion.

:D
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

ladysoleil

#17 Post by ladysoleil » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:39 am

earendel wrote: No, it's just my son's natural weirdness shining forth. And costumes aren't required, but are suggested. I thought about wearing a T-shirt that elwing bought for me that reads, "Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."
As a responsibly adult member of the "naturally weird" tribe, I'll chime in that one of the best weddings I've ever been to was a costume wedding held on Halloween. My not-quite-ex and I went as Evil Charlie Brown and Good Lucy, complete with a Snoopy doll in a mohawk wig and a psychiatry booth. It was a great wedding, and both families had a great time with it. As a bonus, the costumes were a great icebreaker to get people talking, where I suspect if the "weird people" had gone in their usual weird clothing, the "normal" people wouldn't have been quite as willing to interact with them, but people with pink hair fit in just fine at a Halloween wedding.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#18 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:38 am

ladysoleil wrote: As a bonus, the costumes were a great icebreaker to get people talking, where I suspect if the "weird people" had gone in their usual weird clothing, the "normal" people wouldn't have been quite as willing to interact with them, but people with pink hair fit in just fine at a Halloween wedding.
This is a good point -- and it works both ways, too. I've noticed -- on planes, in the dentist's office, on campus, etc. -- that people with tattoos, multiple piercings, and/or hair color unknown to nature tend to be more open to me when I'm not dressed like an aging Junior Leaguer or wearing a business suit. If I see them again later, it doesn't matter what I'm wearing because "we're friends."

earendel

#19 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:52 am

ladysoleil wrote:As a responsibly adult member of the "naturally weird" tribe, I'll chime in that one of the best weddings I've ever been to was a costume wedding held on Halloween. My not-quite-ex and I went as Evil Charlie Brown and Good Lucy, complete with a Snoopy doll in a mohawk wig and a psychiatry booth. It was a great wedding, and both families had a great time with it. As a bonus, the costumes were a great icebreaker to get people talking, where I suspect if the "weird people" had gone in their usual weird clothing, the "normal" people wouldn't have been quite as willing to interact with them, but people with pink hair fit in just fine at a Halloween wedding.
I think I've decided that my objections to this Halloween wedding are threefold:

1. I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the idea that my son is actually getting married. As committed as I am to the institution of marriage, I don't want to see him do something that will end up badly later. He and his fiancee have been together for quite a while, but this is the same son who ran off to Oregon to be with someone he met online, dropping out of school and leaving a note for us. He's also showed a certain irresponsibility in other areas as well.

2. There has been a lot of talk but not much planning until just a couple weeks ago, meaning that everything is taking place at breakneck speed, including things like securing a minister, finding a location, etc. All of this should have been done weeks (or even months) ago, especially since they knew it was going to be a Halloween wedding.

3. The time and date are inconvenient - I don't think I would object quite as much if this were going to be on Saturday or Friday. I guess I should be thankful that they didn't decide to do it at midnight.
Last edited by earendel on Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#20 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:01 am

earendel wrote: The time and date are inconvenient - I don't think I would object quite as much if this were going to be on Saturday or Friday. I guess I should be thankful that they didn't decide to do it at midnight.
Sometimes it's cheaper to get married in the middle of the week.

earendel

#21 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:42 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
earendel wrote: The time and date are inconvenient - I don't think I would object quite as much if this were going to be on Saturday or Friday. I guess I should be thankful that they didn't decide to do it at midnight.
Sometimes it's cheaper to get married in the middle of the week.
True, and they need all the help they can get in that regard.

ladysoleil

#22 Post by ladysoleil » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:41 pm

earendel wrote:
I think I've decided that my objections to this Halloween wedding are threefold:

1. I'm having a hard time coming to grips with the idea that my son is actually getting married. As committed as I am to the institution of marriage, I don't want to see him do something that will end up badly later. He and his fiancee have been together for quite a while, but this is the same son who ran off to Oregon to be with someone he met online, dropping out of school and leaving a note for us. He's also showed a certain irresponsibility in other areas as well.
That's fair as an objection, I think. But unfortunately, and I'm sure you already know this, he's an adult and gets to make his own choices, good or bad.

I also second your gripe about Wednesday. It really is a bad time for socializing, especially if people have to travel.

gotribego26

#23 Post by gotribego26 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:57 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Your son will probably always remember his anniversary, which is better than many men.
He could follow the tribe method for forgetting fewer anniversaries - four months from today we'll celebrate our fourth anniversary and 16 years of wedded bliss.

I wish them the best.