2024 and 2028 Summer Olympics

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
bazodee

Re: 2024 and 2028 Summer Olympics

#26 Post by bazodee » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:03 am

jaybee wrote:I wonder if the push to lock in Olympic cities so far in advance is in hopes of giving those cities a really long time to fund and renovate for the event. It seems that for the past several Olympics (both Winter and Summer) that there is a huge amount of last minute construction going on.
Los Angeles has stated that very little new construction would be needed. The Olympic Village would once again be in facilities at UCLA that already exist. The competition facilities would need sprucing up; I just don't know if the velodrome still exists from 1984. Remember, a lot of sports don't need room for 10,000 spectators. They converted an auditorium at Loyola Marymount College into the weightlifting venue; community college practice fields became world class field hockey pitches...

For Paris, I have heard that they will build athletes' housing from scratch but then convert into affordable senior housing. I haven't seen the rest of the Paris plan.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#27 Post by Estonut » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:44 pm

bazodee wrote:I just don't know if the velodrome still exists from 1984. Remember, a lot of sports don't need room for 10,000 spectators.
They demolished the 1984 outdoor velodrome to make room for the Home Depot Center (LA Galaxy). They built a new one nearby which is enclosed and is the only Olympic-standard velodrome in the country.

http://lavelodrome.org/
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#28 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:42 pm

bazodee wrote:
jaybee wrote:I wonder if the push to lock in Olympic cities so far in advance is in hopes of giving those cities a really long time to fund and renovate for the event. It seems that for the past several Olympics (both Winter and Summer) that there is a huge amount of last minute construction going on.
Los Angeles has stated that very little new construction would be needed. The Olympic Village would once again be in facilities at UCLA that already exist. The competition facilities would need sprucing up; I just don't know if the velodrome still exists from 1984. Remember, a lot of sports don't need room for 10,000 spectators. They converted an auditorium at Loyola Marymount College into the weightlifting venue; community college practice fields became world class field hockey pitches...

For Paris, I have heard that they will build athletes' housing from scratch but then convert into affordable senior housing. I haven't seen the rest of the Paris plan.
They'll probably use the student houses again at UCLA. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#29 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:09 am

It's official. The 2024 games go to Paris and the 2028 games are coming to Los Angeles. See you all in 11 years. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson