2024 and 2028 Summer Olympics

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
bazodee

2024 and 2028 Summer Olympics

#1 Post by bazodee » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:10 am

In an unprecedented move, the International Olympic Committee has announced that Paris and Los Angeles have been selected to host the 2024 and 2028 Summer Olympics. The decision will be ratified at the IOC's September meeting in Lima, Peru and it will then be decided which city will go first.

Pure speculation on my part, but they're probably doing this to lock in the television rights revenue stream as well as to avoid the very embarrassing situation where almost all candidates (for 2022 Winter games) dropped out.

jarnon

Re: 2024 and 2028 Summer Olympics

#2 Post by jarnon » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:50 am

Qatar must be disappointed.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

elwoodblues

#3 Post by elwoodblues » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:16 pm

jarnon wrote:Qatar must be disappointed.
Qatar could probably get the Winter Olympics if the price were right.

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:31 pm

I predict at least one male will win an women's event, but females will be shut out in the men's events.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:59 pm

They have been talking about doing it this way for a couple of months. Both cities are good candidates - UCLA will host athletes so the housing cost to L.A. is minimal. Paris will build an Olympic Village and then use that housing for citizens. They could not promise to hold it for 2028, so they will probably get the earlier slot.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Woo hoo! I really enjoyed being here for the 1984 Olympics, and that was when I was living on a grad student's budget. Now I'll be looking forward to seeing one or two premier events from a decent vantage point. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:30 pm

bazodee wrote:In an unprecedented move, the International Olympic Committee has announced that Paris and Los Angeles have been selected to host the 2024 and 2028 Summer Olympics. The decision will be ratified at the IOC's September meeting in Lima, Peru and it will then be decided which city will go first.

Pure speculation on my part, but they're probably doing this to lock in the television rights revenue stream as well as to avoid the very embarrassing situation where almost all candidates (for 2022 Winter games) dropped out.
I think this is a bit of an overstatement. Here's the IOC's announcement. It looks like that's the proposal by the Executive Committee, but the proposal still needs to be ratified in July by the full IOC Board. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:32 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:They have been talking about doing it this way for a couple of months. Both cities are good candidates - UCLA will host athletes so the housing cost to L.A. is minimal. Paris will build an Olympic Village and then use that housing for citizens. They could not promise to hold it for 2028, so they will probably get the earlier slot.
Georgia Tech was probably the biggest beneficiary of the Olympics here in Atlanta. The Tech campus is about a mile from the Georgia Dome, and the Olympic Village was built adjacent to the Tech campus. It served as housing for Georgia State students for a while, but now it's Tech student housing. In addition, the swim/diving complex is on the Tech campus. Tech had no swim facilities at all before that and we've got a world class facility now (not a world class swimming team however).

Most of the other events were held in existing stadiums, while the main Olympic Stadium became Turner Field after the Olympics.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Bob78164 wrote: It looks like that's the proposal by the Executive Committee, but the proposal still needs to be ratified in July by the full IOC Board. --Bob
This means that Qatar is still in the running.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

bazodee

#10 Post by bazodee » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Betting line is that 2024 will be held in Paris and 2028 in Los Angeles. Two reasons- the last time Paris hosted the summer games was in 1924, so this would be a centennial celebration of those games (referenced in the movie Chariots of Fire); plus Los Angeles has reportedly indicated a willingness to go second.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:04 pm

bazodee wrote:Betting line is that 2024 will be held in Paris and 2028 in Los Angeles. Two reasons- the last time Paris hosted the summer games was in 1924, so this would be a centennial celebration of those games (referenced in the movie Chariots of Fire); plus Los Angeles has reportedly indicated a willingness to go second.
Makes sense. It would be extremely embarrassing to the country to have the current occupant of the White House appear in a ceremonial capacity. Given developments over the last five months, that's pretty unlikely to be an issue in 2024, but the Twenty-Second Amendment makes it virtually certain to be a non-issue in 2028. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
bazodee wrote:Betting line is that 2024 will be held in Paris and 2028 in Los Angeles. Two reasons- the last time Paris hosted the summer games was in 1924, so this would be a centennial celebration of those games (referenced in the movie Chariots of Fire); plus Los Angeles has reportedly indicated a willingness to go second.
Makes sense. It would be extremely embarrassing to the country to have the current occupant of the White House appear in a ceremonial capacity. Given developments over the last five months, that's pretty unlikely to be an issue in 2024, but the Twenty-Second Amendment makes it virtually certain to be a non-issue in 2028. --Bob
Do you ever spend time actually working billable hours, or are you on a lobbyist retainer for your firm? This bored would seem to be a poor cost/benefit ratio for those who are associates rather than equity partners.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Do you ever spend time actually working billable hours, or are you on a lobbyist retainer for your firm? This bored would seem to be a poor cost/benefit ratio for those who are associates rather than equity partners.
In my experience, people descend to personal shots when they can't answer the substance of an argument.

Both my clients and my partners appear to be quite happy with my work. Bless your heart for your concern. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Makes sense. It would be extremely embarrassing to the country to have the current occupant of the White House appear in a ceremonial capacity. Given developments over the last five months, that's pretty unlikely to be an issue in 2024, but the Twenty-Second Amendment makes it virtually certain to be a non-issue in 2028. --Bob
In my experience, people descend to personal shots when they can't answer the substance of an argument.

Both my clients and my partners appear to be quite happy with my work. Bless your heart for your concern. --Bob
I thought this was a thread focused on the Olympics, and thought it intriguing you introduced Trump into the mix. You may want to keep track of your political forays. Just sayin.
Well, then

bazodee

#15 Post by bazodee » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

Unless he pulls a Grover Cleveland ...

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

I thought this was a thread focused on the Olympics, and thought it intriguing you introduced Trump into the mix. You may want to keep track of your political forays. Just sayin.
He just can't help himself. Bless his heart.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#17 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:30 pm

bazodee wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Unless he pulls a Grover Cleveland ...
Snort. That is funny.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:32 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Makes sense. It would be extremely embarrassing to the country to have the current occupant of the White House appear in a ceremonial capacity. Given developments over the last five months, that's pretty unlikely to be an issue in 2024, but the Twenty-Second Amendment makes it virtually certain to be a non-issue in 2028. --Bob

What substantive argument would you be making in this Olympicscentric thread?
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#19 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:51 pm

In line with the thread we were at the 84 games, having moved there in 83, and Kodak, still extant, had corporate tickets which meant good seats. Were there for the Budd, Decker fiasco and a bball game, but don't remember much else. Eldest had just been born.
Well, then

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:55 pm

Bob78164 wrote:In my experience, people descend to personal shots when they can't answer the substance of an argument.
Hard to answer something that doesn't exist.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#21 Post by Estonut » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:22 am

Bob78164 wrote:In my experience, people descend to personal shots when they can't answer the substance of an argument.
Mine, too. That explains why you resorted to childish name-calling in the other thread.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

bazodee

#22 Post by bazodee » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:05 am

Beebs52 wrote:In line with the thread we were at the 84 games, having moved there in 83, and Kodak, still extant, had corporate tickets which meant good seats. Were there for the Budd, Decker fiasco and a bball game, but don't remember much else. Eldest had just been born.
Likewise, I was finishing grad school at UCLA in 1984 and got to watch the games come together. Spent big $$ for Opening Ceremonies tickets, but then decided to spectate at a lot of lesser known sports like field hockey, weightlifting, water polo. Did manage to watch the USA win at indoor volleyball in Long Beach. It was a very exciting time to live in Los Angeles. So many people got scared away that the traffic those two weeks was among the lightest that I'd ever seen.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#23 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:46 am

bazodee wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:In line with the thread we were at the 84 games, having moved there in 83, and Kodak, still extant, had corporate tickets which meant good seats. Were there for the Budd, Decker fiasco and a bball game, but don't remember much else. Eldest had just been born.
Likewise, I was finishing grad school at UCLA in 1984 and got to watch the games come together. Spent big $$ for Opening Ceremonies tickets, but then decided to spectate at a lot of lesser known sports like field hockey, weightlifting, water polo. Did manage to watch the USA win at indoor volleyball in Long Beach. It was a very exciting time to live in Los Angeles. So many people got scared away that the traffic those two weeks was among the lightest that I'd ever seen.
You're right! Forgot about the traffic not being so horrid. We lived in Huntington Beach, so had some treks.
Well, then

jaybee

#24 Post by jaybee » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:33 pm

I wonder if the push to lock in Olympic cities so far in advance is in hopes of giving those cities a really long time to fund and renovate for the event. It seems that for the past several Olympics (both Winter and Summer) that there is a huge amount of last minute construction going on.
Jaybee

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#25 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:16 pm

bazodee wrote:
I ended up seeing a day of judo, the final day of the three-day equestrian event, and the preliminaries of (if memory serves) women's 10m platform diving. --Bob