Sneak attack on health care

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Sneak attack on health care

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:56 pm

Apparently the Senate, like the House before it, is planning to bring a health care bill (which neither the public nor most of their elected representatives have seen) to the floor of the Senate, entirely bypassing the Committee process and most debate. It's called Rule 14 and it's already been invoked.

There's only one possible reason Senate Republicans are trying to move this bill under cover of darkness. They know that it's a terrible, awful, no good, very bad bill but they plan to pass it anyway and they're hoping to avoid accountability.

Any bill that's even close to the House bill regarding pre-existing conditions will affect me personally, but unless Donny manages to completely crater the economy, I should be fine until I become eligible for Medicare. More importantly, it will dramatically affect my son, particularly after he turns 26. And that's something I'll never forget. Or forgive. If they think the 23 million people slated to lose insurance, or their family members, will ever forget, or forgive, I think they have seriously miscalculated.

But I really hope that people living in states with potentially persuadable Senators get on the horn and make their views known. I'd rather prevent the problem from happening than exact political revenge from the elected officials who make it happen. But if a disastrous bill passes anyway, I hope those people exact a political price from the Senators who betrayed them. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

Re: Sneak attack on health care

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Apparently the Senate, like the House before it, is planning to bring a health care bill (which neither the public nor most of their elected representatives have seen) to the floor of the Senate, entirely bypassing the Committee process and most debate. It's called Rule 14 and it's already been invoked.

There's only one possible reason Senate Republicans are trying to move this bill under cover of darkness. They know that it's a terrible, awful, no good, very bad bill but they plan to pass it anyway and they're hoping to avoid accountability.

Any bill that's even close to the House bill regarding pre-existing conditions will affect me personally, but unless Donny manages to completely crater the economy, I should be fine until I become eligible for Medicare. More importantly, it will dramatically affect my son, particularly after he turns 26. And that's something I'll never forget. Or forgive. If they think the 23 million people slated to lose insurance, or their family members, will ever forget, or forgive, I think they have seriously miscalculated.

But I really hope that people living in states with potentially persuadable Senators get on the horn and make their views known. I'd rather prevent the problem from happening than exact political revenge from the elected officials who make it happen. But if a disastrous bill passes anyway, I hope those people exact a political price from the Senators who betrayed them. --Bob
Talking to my Senators would be a waste of time. :evil:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Pastor Fireball

#3 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:11 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Apparently the Senate, like the House before it, is planning to bring a health care bill (which neither the public nor most of their elected representatives have seen) to the floor of the Senate, entirely bypassing the Committee process and most debate. It's called Rule 14 and it's already been invoked.

Especially talking to John McCain, with the evidence being... whatever it was that he was doing during the Comey hearing last week.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Pastor Fireball wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Especially talking to John McCain, with the evidence being... whatever it was that he was doing during the Comey hearing last week.
Actually, Flake is much worse. McCain is often sensable. At least I have a Dem Rep.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#5 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:44 pm

I am in total agreement with you that it is totally unacceptable to bring any bill like this to vote without disclosing to the public exactly what is in the bill and having specific debate about it. Where were you when Obamacare was imposed on us in the same way? You seem to be hypocritical once again.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:24 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:

I am in total agreement with you that it is totally unacceptable to bring any bill like this to vote without disclosing to the public exactly what is in the bill and having specific debate about it. Where were you when Obamacare was imposed on us in the same way? You seem to be hypocritical once again.
The Affordable Care Act underwent 160 hours of public debate, 100 committee hearings, round tables, and walkthroughs, and nearly 200 amendments from Republicans. Implying that the Democrats snuck it through in an effort to avoid input or accountability is utterly risible. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

themanintheseersuckersuit

#7 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:34 am

your headline mentions health care but your post is about mandated insurance
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

BackInTex

#8 Post by BackInTex » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:50 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:your headline mentions health care but your post is about mandated insurance
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#9 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:26 am

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:

The Affordable Care Act underwent 160 hours of public debate, 100 committee hearings, round tables, and walkthroughs, and nearly 200 amendments from Republicans. Implying that the Democrats snuck it through in an effort to avoid input or accountability is utterly risible. --Bob
You have a short memory, bob.
“We have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it,” Nancy Pelosi.
“Great innovations should not be forced on a slender majority – or enacted without broad support.” Thomas Jefferson.

I was hoping that Congress and/or Trump would repeal Obamacare and have something better and more market driven to replace it. But shame on me for assuming Washington can do anything right. I am against what they are doing. The differences are that you oppose it if Trump does it, but you are all for it when Obama did it. That is the definition of hypocrisy. The other difference is that you can be against what Trump is doing and not be called a racist.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:06 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: The differences are that you oppose it if Trump does it, but you are all for it when Obama did it. That is the definition of hypocrisy. The other difference is that you can be against what Trump is doing and not be called a racist.
Flock, what part of "160 hours of public debate, 100 committee hearings, round tables, and walkthroughs, and nearly 200 amendments from Republicans" didn't you understand?

None of that is present in what McConnell's doing.

Pelosi's comments may have been inartistic, but the Obamacare bill was at all times in the public record. The fact that no one wanted to go through a 1,000 bill and do a detailed analysis does not mean that the information was not there. It was there, it was debated, it was reviewed, and it was amended (or amendments were proposed) numerous times before it got to the stage McConnell wants.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:14 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:your headline mentions health care but your post is about mandated insurance
Health care isn't available if you can't pay for it. And if insurance companies are again permitted to consider pre-existing conditions, it will become unaffordable for tens of millions of people with pre-existing conditions.

Just like my son. And me. I'm pretty sure I'll have my job at least until I qualify for Medicare. My son, though, won't have that luxury -- at least, I can't count on that. So this fight isn't just political for me. It's very, very personal. And as far as I'm concerned, anyone who simply stands by twiddling their thumbs and lets it happen is more interested in scoring abstract political points than in protecting the health of my son (and me) and the millions like us. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#12 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:33 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: The differences are that you oppose it if Trump does it, but you are all for it when Obama did it. That is the definition of hypocrisy. The other difference is that you can be against what Trump is doing and not be called a racist.
Flock, what part of "160 hours of public debate, 100 committee hearings, round tables, and walkthroughs, and nearly 200 amendments from Republicans" didn't you understand?

None of that is present in what McConnell's doing.

Pelosi's comments may have been inartistic, but the Obamacare bill was at all times in the public record. The fact that no one wanted to go through a 1,000 bill and do a detailed analysis does not mean that the information was not there. It was there, it was debated, it was reviewed, and it was amended (or amendments were proposed) numerous times before it got to the stage McConnell wants.
I am not going to go through this again. Yeah, Obamacare was passed without any controversy. Everybody knew all 2000+ pages of it, and were all happy with it. It went through congress smoothly and using established procedures. Everybody is happy with it, and we will go back to the Stone Age if it's meddled with. And it's settled law. That's the way its history has been revised, right?

And while we're on the subject, bob, when are you going to answer my question?