"The People V. OJ Simpson" Courtroom Question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

"The People V. OJ Simpson" Courtroom Question

#1 Post by Spock » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:50 pm

We have been watching this in the Spock house.

I realize that this was a dramatization-but the part that did not ring true here was when Shapiro (played by Travolta) during a break, went up to the witness chair area and picked up the gloves.

Can lawyers do that in a courtroom? Just pick up evidence and handle it willy-nilly?
Last edited by Spock on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Juch

Re: "The People V. OJ Simpson" Courtroom Question

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Spock wrote:We have been watching this in the Spock house.

I realize that this was a dramatization-but the part that did not ring true here was when Shapiro (played by Travolta) during a break, went up to the witness chair area and picked up the gloves.

Can lawyers do that in a courtroom? Just pick up evidence and handle it willy-nilly.
I didn't watch the show but did watch the actual trial. Before O.J. tried on the gloves they were sitting on the defense's table.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

eyégor
???????

#3 Post by eyégor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:50 pm

Had they actually been admitted into evidence yet? Was it supposed to be a bathroom break or a major recess (for the day, lunch)? What are the local rules for evidence? Given that Shapiro is an officer of the court and the court staff, DA staff and security were in attendance (at least I assume so in a recreation), I would say we are probably looking at a whole lot of nuthin'.

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks. I saw very little of the trial.

eyégor
???????

#5 Post by eyégor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:53 pm

The custodial rules of evidence can vary from courthouse to courthouse, so it really wasn't a gross mistake. I had an investigator call me up and ask if I had his 2 pounds of cocaine for the trial that was starting in half an hour. And I did.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:00 pm

eyégor wrote:The custodial rules of evidence can vary from courthouse to courthouse, so it really wasn't a gross mistake. I had an investigator call me up and ask if I had his 2 pounds of cocaine for the trial that was starting in half an hour. And I did.
All two pounds of it? :twisted: --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson