Republican leader shot

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Republican leader shot

#1 Post by jarnon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:30 am

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

Re: Republican leader shot

#2 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:40 am

Shooter has been identified.
Law enforcement has identified the shooter as James Hodgkinson of Belleville, Illinois, according to a federal law enforcement sources. Hodgkinson is 66.The shooter's injuries are described as serious, according to the law enforcement source
What CNN is not reporting is the shooter is a flaming liberal along the lines of some here.

His Facebook page
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

themanintheseersuckersuit

#3 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:42 am

Did he shop at the Granite City Walmart?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:43 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:Did he shop at the Granite City Walmart?

Belleville has a huge, honking, swanky Supercenter. I doubt it...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

jarnon

#5 Post by jarnon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:51 am

jarnon wrote:A Democrat can own a gun.
Sadly, I was right. This is not the kind of Democrat that we need.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:54 am

Trump says the shooter is dead. I guess we can believe that.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:59 am

jarnon wrote:
jarnon wrote:A Democrat can own a gun.
Sadly, I was right. This is not the kind of Democrat that we need.
I do have to say that so far Trump has taken the high road in speaking about this. However, a number of other Republicans haven't wasted any time in blaming this on the Democratic media and a supposed atmosphere of hate that they foster, somehow ignoring all the bile that comes out of the right wingers.

And, as far as the "Trump" version of Julius Caesar:

http://mspmag.com/arts-and-culture/the- ... the_guthr/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:59 am

Bob Juch wrote:Trump says the shooter is dead. I guess we can believe that.
ABC News confirms it, quoting law enforcement sources. So even though Pres. Trump and Bob Juch reported it, it isn't fake news.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:00 am

Based on BiT's post, that Hodgkinson guy should have been easy to spot. He looks almost exactly like Bernie Sanders.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:06 am

BackInTex wrote:Shooter has been identified.
Law enforcement has identified the shooter as James Hodgkinson of Belleville, Illinois, according to a federal law enforcement sources. Hodgkinson is 66.The shooter's injuries are described as serious, according to the law enforcement source
What CNN is not reporting is the shooter is a flaming liberal along the lines of some here.

His Facebook page
Are you suggesting either that Democratic policies led to this attack or that the only nuts and loonies who decide to pick up a gun are Democrats? I think some of the comments on his Facebook page give the lie to that premise.

This was a horrible act, period, condemned by all decent people, no matter their politics. I'm glad the toll wasn't greater. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

themanintheseersuckersuit

#11 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:14 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Belleville has a huge, honking, swanky Supercenter. I doubt it...

lb13
But is the Belleville WM as well stocked?
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

BackInTex

#12 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:45 am

Bob78164 wrote:Are you suggesting either that Democratic policies led to this attack or that the only nuts and loonies who decide to pick up a gun are Democrats? I think some of the comments on his Facebook page give the lie to that premise.

This was a horrible act, period, condemned by all decent people, no matter their politics. I'm glad the toll wasn't greater. --Bob
Simply noting the lack of "background" being reported by the media. Withing minutes of identifying Dylan Roof, his social media and everything identifying him as a "right winger" was out there and being discussed to the point that now all traces of the confederacy have been eliminated from places like New Orleans and other places. Maybe not all, but much. And much more is at risk of historical revision and elimination.

Dylan Roof was a loon.
James T. Hodgkinson is a loon.

The difference is all those things Hodgkinson believed in won't be attacked and torn down because of him. He will be called a loon and it will be left at that.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:51 am

NBC News: Court records show that James T. Hodgkinson has a criminal history and was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend in 2006.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:52 am

BackInTex wrote: The difference is all those things Hodgkinson believed in won't be attacked and torn down because of him. He will be called a loon and it will be left at that.
Dylan Roof was not just a supporter of "the Confederacy." He was a violent, anti-Semitic racist, no matter how you want to define those terms.

And, I have yet to get a good answer as to what about the Confederacy is worth commemorating.

silverscreenselect

#15 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:53 am

Bob Juch wrote:NBC News: Court records show that James T. Hodgkinson has a criminal history and was arrested for assaulting his girlfriend in 2006.
Aren't those the sort of things that background checks pick up?

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:57 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/20 ... nois-home/

That's different from South Carolina; my immediate next-door neighbor and his family were target shooting. My wife was having a nervous breakdown. 911 said my neighbor was perfectly legal.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:41 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
BackInTex wrote: The difference is all those things Hodgkinson believed in won't be attacked and torn down because of him. He will be called a loon and it will be left at that.
Dylan Roof was not just a supporter of "the Confederacy." He was a violent, anti-Semitic racist, no matter how you want to define those terms.

And, I have yet to get a good answer as to what about the Confederacy is worth commemorating.
BiT's point in context is that it's just as fair to attribute the actions of a left-wing loonie to his underlying politics as it is to so attribute the actions of a right-wing loonie. To that extent, I'm inclined to agree.

But I do think there's a significant difference in that no prominent Democrat, and certainly no Democratic office-holder, encourages physical resistance, even with a wink and a nod. In contrast, we have the current occupant of the White House, who offered to pay the legal fees for people who used physical violence against his political opponents. In other words, I believe national Republicans legitimize such sentiments in a way that national Democrats do not.

I have seen Facebook posts expressing sympathy for the victims but then going on to say that this wouldn't have happened if the Republicans' politics weren't so sucky that people felt compelled to resort to violence. That's victim-blaming, plain and simple. I think it's important for those of us on the left to publicly speak out against such sentiments (and I have been doing so), just as we demand those on the right to do so in analogous circumstances. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I believe national Republicans legitimize such sentiments in a way that national Democrats do not.
I've found you some help.

~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:00 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I believe national Republicans legitimize such sentiments in a way that national Democrats do not.
I've found you some help.

Is that Trump's favorite brand? It's not working.