Final Match: Game #169

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Game #169: A Musical Salute to the Piltdown Man

#26 Post by Estonut » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:28 pm

franktangredi wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:115. Rags to riches, or so they say,
Ya gotta keep pushin' for the fortune and fame,
You know it's all a gamble when it's just a game.

PARADISE CITY - GUNS N ROSES

And I'm pretty sure #55 is not actually Boom Boom Pow.... it's just weird that another song references "stepping on leprechauns." I guess that's hardcore slang I'm not aware of..... where's Fanny when you need her?
The song in question was in the Top Twenty two years after Boom Boom Pow, so maybe they were deliberately referencing it.
Top 22? How many years after Boom Boom Pow? :)
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

mrkelley23

#27 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:16 pm

OK, this may not be right (obviously) or it may need refining, but I've got three matches and a bunch of possibles.

Piltdown Man was also, in addition to being a composite skeleton that turned out to be a hoax, touted to be "the missing link" in science.

First pair is a song title that can be truncated and paired with a missing word on the end, coupled with an artist from elsewhere on the list. Second pair is formed like that, only the truncation is off the front. They are linked by the missing word in each title.

Example 1: Melissa Manchester is on the list, but also did a song called Midnight Blue. Blue on Blue is on the list. Eric Clapton is on the list, but also did a song called After Midnight. After the Lovin' is on the list. So our solution template might look like this:

111. AFTER the lovin' + 24. Eric Clapton and 86. blue on BLUE + 38. Melissa Manchester = MIDNIGHT

97. FREE ride + 125. Lynyrd Skynyrd and 53. hound DOG + 1. Everly Brothers = DOG

75. HAPPY jack + 104. The Turtles and 30. always and FOREVER + 41. Rick Astley = TOGETHER

Partials:

2. WELCOME TO THE black parade + 115. Guns & Roses and 91. cow cow BOOGIE + (Kool and the Gang song?) = JUNGLE

? + ? and 15. genie IN A BOTTLE + 74. Jim Croce = TIME

72. STILL THE one + 94. Bob Seger and ? + ? = SAME
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#28 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 pm

Ugh... my head exploded trying to come up with a match.

117. LEADER OF THE Pack + Paul McCartney & Wings and 54. Fox ON THE RUN + 37. Dan Fogelberg= BAND

I think I did that right....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

jarnon

#29 Post by jarnon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:56 pm

I think you're on to something, mrkelley23!

62. Venus IN BLUE JEANS + 16. Neil Diamond = FOREVER

100. Dani CALIFORNIA + 4. Eagles and 76. HEARTBREAK Beat + 53. Elvis Presley = HOTEL

83. HELLO Stranger + 56. Beatles = GOODBYE
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#30 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Maybe a better format would be:

117. LEADER OF THE Pack + 37. Dan Fogelberg / 22. Paul McCartney & Wings (BAND) + 84. Fox ON THE RUN

That makes my head hurt a little less looking at it...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#31 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:09 pm

jarnon wrote:83. HELLO Stranger + 56. Beatles = GOODBYE

83 must be one of the double songs!

83. HELLO Stranger + 56. Beatles / 20. Supertramp (GOODBYE) + 83. Hello STRANGER

As for the Venus in Blue Jeans/Neil Diamond match.... I think the missing part has to be a song that starts with TOGETHER which would pair it with Rick Astley, but so far we only have songs that end in that word...

lb13

plasticene

#32 Post by plasticene » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:38 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:97. FREE ride + 125. Lynyrd Skynyrd and 53. hound DOG + 1. Everly Brothers = DOG
Free Dog and Dog Dog? :P

franktangredi

#33 Post by franktangredi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:56 pm

plasticene wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:97. FREE ride + 125. Lynyrd Skynyrd and 53. hound DOG + 1. Everly Brothers = DOG
A cleaner format for the matches would definitely help avoid confusion. But I am surprised at how quickly the Tangredi was spotted. Kudos, Mr. Kelley!

This entire idea emerged from my desire to use Welcome to the Black Parade in a game. I just discovered the song.

franktangredi

#34 Post by franktangredi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:58 pm

franktangredi wrote:
plasticene wrote:
A cleaner format for the matches would definitely help avoid confusion. But I am surprised at how quickly the Tangredi was spotted. Kudos, Mr. Kelley!

This entire idea emerged from my desire to use Welcome to the Black Parade in a game. I just discovered the song.

And it was fun working and reworking it so that the number of songs and the number of matches both ended in 5. You should see my color-coded chart!

mrkelley23

#35 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:16 pm

plasticene wrote:
I agree with Frank that there must be a cleaner format for writing the solutions. I've never been good at that. Whenever we do another consolidation, we can fix this one so it says BIRD.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

franktangredi

#36 Post by franktangredi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:25 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
plasticene wrote:
I agree with Frank that there must be a cleaner format for writing the solutions. I've never been good at that. Whenever we do another consolidation, we can fix this one so it says BIRD.
May I offer the one I used in my personal answer key (which you guys never see)?

97. FREE Ride + BIRD + 53. Hound DOG = Free Bird (125. Lynyrd Skynyrd) + Bird Dog (1. Everly Brothers)

Oh, and additional kudos for figuring out the clue in the game title. Did that help you figure out the Tangredi, or did figuring out the Tangredi come first?

mrkelley23

#37 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:43 pm

franktangredi wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
plasticene wrote: Free Dog and Dog Dog? :P
May I offer the one I used in my personal answer key (which you guys never see)?

97. FREE Ride + BIRD + 53. Hound DOG = Free Bird (125. Lynyrd Skynyrd) + Bird Dog (1. Everly Brothers)

Oh, and additional kudos for figuring out the clue in the game title. Did that help you figure out the Tangredi, or did figuring out the Tangredi come first?
The discussion between Ear and jarnon got me thinking about what might be the title clue. I"m not sure I would have gotten it just from missing link, though. Honestly, if "Welcome to the..." hadn't been so close to the front, and beast hadn't had to provide the GNR answer in a separate message, it would have taken me a LOT longer. But I just happened to be scrolling through when "missing link," "Welcome to the," and Guns and Roses all jumped out at me. Once I started looking for other matches, things started to fall together, especially when I saw Melissa Manchester, who was essentially a two-hit wonder.

I appreciate the kudos. I can honestly say that you are the best puzzle meister I've ever encountered, and that includes Will Shortz, who belonged to the same fraternity I did at IU (although he was there several years before me.) I don't know if everyone here appreciates the subtlety and attention to detail in your games, but I do.

jarnon

#38 Post by jarnon » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:58 pm

102. IT’S MY Life + PARTY + 8. Born IN THE USA = It’s My Party (87. Leslie Gore) + Party in the USA (Miley Cyrus)

LYIN’ + 67. These EYES = Lyin’ Eyes (4. Eagles)

CARIBBEAN + 63. Killer QUEEN = Caribbean Queen (34. Billy Ocean)

PROUD + 14. The Wind Cries MARY = Proud Mary (89. Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Last edited by jarnon on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mellytu74

#39 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:20 pm

One complete and a partial 9took out Time in a bottle since it was found already)

39. AIN'T THAT A KICK IN THE HEAD + SHAME + 70. MAN ON THE MOON = Ain't That a Shame (7. Fats Domino) and Shame on the Moon (94. BOB SEGER)

?? + Tuesday + 85. SUNNY AFTERNOON = ?? and Tuesday Afternoon (118. Moody Blues)
by any chance would a missing answer be a Ruby so we could fill in the Stones there?
Last edited by mellytu74 on Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franktangredi

#40 Post by franktangredi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:41 pm

mrkelley23 wrote: The discussion between Ear and jarnon got me thinking about what might be the title clue. I"m not sure I would have gotten it just from missing link, though. Honestly, if "Welcome to the..." hadn't been so close to the front, and beast hadn't had to provide the GNR answer in a separate message, it would have taken me a LOT longer. But I just happened to be scrolling through when "missing link," "Welcome to the," and Guns and Roses all jumped out at me. Once I started looking for other matches, things started to fall together, especially when I saw Melissa Manchester, who was essentially a two-hit wonder.
She actually had three top ten hits. The other one was Don't Cry Out Loud. And there were four others that made the Top Forty, but much farther up.
mrkelley23 wrote:I appreciate the kudos. I can honestly say that you are the best puzzle meister I've ever encountered, and that includes Will Shortz, who belonged to the same fraternity I did at IU (although he was there several years before me.) I don't know if everyone here appreciates the subtlety and attention to detail in your games, but I do.
Wow, that's so nice. Thank you!

franktangredi

#41 Post by franktangredi » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:42 pm

franktangredi wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote: The discussion between Ear and jarnon got me thinking about what might be the title clue. I"m not sure I would have gotten it just from missing link, though. Honestly, if "Welcome to the..." hadn't been so close to the front, and beast hadn't had to provide the GNR answer in a separate message, it would have taken me a LOT longer. But I just happened to be scrolling through when "missing link," "Welcome to the," and Guns and Roses all jumped out at me. Once I started looking for other matches, things started to fall together, especially when I saw Melissa Manchester, who was essentially a two-hit wonder.
She actually had three top ten hits. The other one was Don't Cry Out Loud. And there were four others that made the Top Forty, but much farther up.
mrkelley23 wrote:I appreciate the kudos. I can honestly say that you are the best puzzle meister I've ever encountered, and that includes Will Shortz, who belonged to the same fraternity I did at IU (although he was there several years before me.) I don't know if everyone here appreciates the subtlety and attention to detail in your games, but I do.
Wow, that's so nice. Thank you! Now I've got to visit my unfinished puzzle file and get to work on the next one.

mellytu74

#42 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:12 pm

71. JUST LIKE + Heaven + ??? = Just Like Heaven (122. THE CURE) + Heaven xxxxxx

mrkelley23

#43 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:48 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Ha! If that song was played at Trivia night, I would have totally gotten the artist wrong. Dont' know who I would have thought it was, but MM would not have come to mind.

Midnight Blue was played to the point of nausea around these parts, at a time when I was listening to the radio A LOT. That's why that one leaped to my head so quickly.

mellytu74

#44 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:06 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
Ha! If that song was played at Trivia night, I would have totally gotten the artist wrong. Dont' know who I would have thought it was, but MM would not have come to mind.

Midnight Blue was played to the point of nausea around these parts, at a time when I was listening to the radio A LOT. That's why that one leaped to my head so quickly.
And I completely forget about Midnight Blue. But I still have my 45 of You Should Hear How She Talks About You.

mellytu74

#45 Post by mellytu74 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:37 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:

And I completely forget about Midnight Blue. But I still have my 45 of You Should Hear How She Talks About You.

mrkelley23

Re: Game #169: New Consolidation

#46 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:43 am

Took out the clues for the ones we know, because I THINK all the errors were corrected. I only included the full matches we have for now, because I think there could be a lot of "false positive" partials for this game. I still can't find a Kool and the Gang song amongst the unknowns, for instance (And since that's the last part of the match that convinced me of the Tangredi, wouldn't that be a kick in the head?)

^1. ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM – EVERLY BROTHERS

2. WELCOME TO THE BLACK PARADE – MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE

3. MATERIAL GIRL - MADONNA

^4. ONE OF THESE NIGHTS - EAGLES

5. GOD ONLY KNOWS – BEACH BOYS

6. Not more than three short years ago,
I was abandoned and alone
Without a penny to my name,
So very young and so afraid,
No proper shoes upon my feet,
Sometimes I couldn't even eat.

^7. I'M WALKIN - FATS DOMINO

8. BORN IN THE USA – BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN

9. TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - ABBA

10. CAN'T GET A MAN WITHOUT A GUN – ETHEL MERMAN (FROM ANNIE GET YOUR GUN)

11. PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE – DEPECHE MODE

12. HELP ME MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT – SAMMI SMITH

13. She makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up,
Just one touch and I erupt
Like a volcano and cover her with my love.

14. THE WIND CRIES MARY – JIMI HENDRIX

15. GENIE IN A BOTTLE – CHRISTINA AGUILERA

16. KENTUCKY WOMAN – NEIL DIAMOND

17. AIN'T NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY – HELEN REDDY

18. MAGIC CARPET RIDE – STEPPENWOLF

19. REFUGEE – TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS

^20. GIVE A LITTLE BIT - SUPERTRAMP

21. WAKE UP CALL – MAROON 5

^22. JET – PAUL MCCARTNEY & WINGS

23. WE'RE NOT GONNA TAKE IT – TWISTED SISTER

^24. LAY DOWN SALLY – ERIC CLAPTON

25. GOOD BYE TO LOVE – THE CARPENTERS

26. LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER – THE ROLLING STONES

27. GOOD RIDDANCE (THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE) – GREEN DAY

28. BAD TIME – GRAND FUNK RAILROAD

29. HOLD ON I'M COMIN – SAM AND DAVE

*30. ALWAYS AND FOREVER - HEATWAVE

31. WHAT YOU GET IS WHAT YOU SEE – TINA TURNER

32. '65 LOVE AFFAIR – PAUL DAVIS

33. SIGNED SEALED DELIVERED I'M YOURS – STEVIE WONDER

34. WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH THE TOUGH GET GOING – BILLY OCEAN

35. PRETTY NOOSE – SOUNDGARDEN

36. GOOD FOR ME – AMY GRANT

^37. THE POWER OF GOLD – DAN FOGELBERG

^38. YOU SHOULD HEAR HOW SHE TALKS ABOUT YOU – MELISSA MANCHESTER

*39. AIN'T THAT A KICK IN THE HEAD – DEAN MARTIN

40. PYT (PRETTY YOUNG THING) – MICHAEL JACKSON

^41. NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP – RICK ASTLEY

42. I GUESS THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT THE BLUES – ELTON JOHN

43. DIANA – PAUL ANKA

44. Sadness is beautiful, loneliness that's tragical,
So help me, I can't win this war, oh no.
Touch me now, don't bother if every second it makes me weaker,
You can save me from the man I've become.

45. THIS GIRL IS A WOMAN NOW – GARY PUCKETT & THE UNION GAP

46. TWO DIVIDED BY LOVE – THE GRASS ROOTS

47. WE ARE NEVER EVER GETTING BACK TOGETHER – TAYLOR SWIFT

48. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT LOVE IS - FOREIGNER

49. I can't explain it, how you made me open up
And you showed me things I never thought I'd do.
I'd hate to think of ever losing you,
Cause there is no one that makes me feel the way you do.

50. I GO TO EXTREMES – BILLY JOEL

51. THE MAN WHO SOLD THE WORLD – DAVID BOWIE

52. Have some fun,
Have some fun,
Have some fun,
Burn it up,
Let's burn up the night, baby.

^*53. HOUND DOG – ELVIS PRESLEY

54. Red cups and sweaty bodies everywhere,
Hands in the air like we don't care,
'Cause we came to have so much fun now,
Got somebody here, might get some now.

And in case you were wondering how that party ended….

55. F**k that, someone help Denaun,
He’s upstairs wrestling with Elton John.
Hey Von, you see me stepping on these leprechauns?
It gotta be Tums, the Ex-lax is gone.

^56. I'M SO TIRED – THE BEATLES

57. JUST WHAT I NEEDED – THE CARS

58. THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY - GENESIS

59. THE LOVE I LOST – HAROLD MELVIN AND THE BLUE NOTES

60. DOUBLE SHOT OF MY BABY’S LOVE – SWINGING MEDALLIONS

61. Big man, you got money in your hand,
So what?
You're at a table for two, but still there's only you,
Big shot!

62. VENUS IN BLUE JEANS – JIMMY CLANTON

63. KILLER QUEEN - QUEEN

64. See, my days are cold without you
But I'm hurtin' while I'm with you,
And though my heart can't take no more
I keep on running back to you.

65. LOVE HER MADLY – THE DOORS

66. I'D REALLY LOVE TO SEE YOU TONIGHT – ENGLAND DAN & JOHN FORD COLEY

67. THESE EYES – THE GUESS WHO

68. SOUTH AMERICA TAKE IT AWAY – BING CROSBY WITH THE ANDREWS SISTERS

69. TRULY – LIONEL RICHIE

*70. MAN ON THE MOON - REM

71. JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES - CHER

72. STILL THE ONE - ORLEANS

73. CRUSH ON YOU – THE JETS

74. I'VE GOT A NAME – JIM CROCE

*75. HAPPY JACK – THE WHO

*76. HEARTBREAK BEAT – THE PSYCHEDELIC FURS

77. HE'S THE GREATEST DANCER – SISTER SLEDGE

78. Close the door, leave the cold outside,
I don't need nothing when I'm by your side.
We got something that'll never die,
Our dreams, our pride.

79. IT'S NOT FOR ME TO SAY – JOHNNY MATHIS

80. HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF – DURAN DURAN

81. WHEN YOU'RE GONE – AVRIL LAVIGNE

82. BEING WITH YOU – SMOKEY ROBINSON

**83. HELLO STRANGER – BARBARA LEWIS

*84. FOX ON THE RUN - SWEET

85. SUNNY AFTERNOON – THE KINKS

*86. BLUE ON BLUE – BOBBY VINTON

87. THAT'S THE WAY BOYS ARE – LESLEY GORE

88. BOOGIE SHOES – KC & THE SUNSHINE BAND

89. LOOKIN OUT MY BACK DOOR – CREDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL

90. ALL ABOUT THAT BASS – MEGHAN TRAINOR

91. COW COW BOOGIE – ELLA MORSE

92. LE FREAK - CHIC

93. DANCE TO THE MUSIC – SLY & THE FAMILY STONE

^94. AMERICAN STORM – BOB SEGER & THE SILVER BULLET BAND

95. LOVE IS ALL AROUND – THE TROGGS

96. SUICIDE BLONDE - INXS

*97. FREE RIDE – EDGAR WINTER GROUP

98. CARRIE-ANN – THE HOLLIES

99. DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY – BOBBY MCFERRIN

*100. DANI CALIFORNIA – RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS

101. EVERYBODY LOVES A CLOWN – GARY LEWIS & THE PLAYBOYS

102. IT'S MY LIFE – NO DOUBT

103. YOU GOT IT (THE RIGHT STUFF) – NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK

^104. SHE'D RATHER BE WITH ME – THE TURTLES

105. WHO WILL YOU RUN TO – HEART

106. I GET WEAK – BELINDA CARLISLE

107. CRAZY - SEAL

108. I WANNA BE YOUR LOVER - PRINCE

109. Now maybe someday
I'll reach that higher goal.
I know I can make it
With just a little bit of soul.

110. DA YA THINK I’M SEXY – ROD STEWART

*111. AFTER THE LOVIN' – ENGLEBERT HUMPERDINCK

112. LOVE HURTS - NAZARETH

113. LONELY DAYS – THE BEE GEES

114. UNWELL – MATCHBOX 20

115. PARADISE CITY – GUNS AND ROSES

116. WALK AWAY RENEE – THE LEFT BANKE

*117. LEADER OF THE PACK – THE SHANGRI-LAS

118. YOUR WILDEST DREAMS – MOODY BLUES

119. SOMETHING WONDERFUL – FROM THE KING AND I

120. SHOCK THE MONKEY – PETER GABRIEL

121. CHAPEL OF LOVE – THE DIXIE CUPS

122. LOVESONG – THE CURE

123. COME AS YOU ARE - NIRVANA

124. SOUTHERN MAN – NEIL YOUNG

^125. SWEET HOME ALABAMA – LYNYRD SKYNYRD

MATCHES: (*=song title; ^ = artist used)

111. AFTER the lovin + MIDNIGHT + 86. blue on BLUE = After midnight (24. Eric Clapton) + Midnight Blue (38. Melissa Manchester)

75. HAPPY jack + TOGETHER + 30. always and FOREVER = Happy Together (104. The Turtles) + Together Forever (41. Rick Astley)

117. LEADER OF THE pack + BAND + 54. fox ON THE RUN = Leader of the Band (37. Dan Fogelberg) + Band on the Run (22. Paul McCartney and Wings)

76. HEARTBREAK beat + HOTEL + 100. Dani CALIFORNIA = Heartbreak Hotel (53. Elvis Presley) and Hotel California (4. Eagles)

83. HELLO stranger + GOODBYE + 83. hello STRANGER = Hello Goodbye (56. The Beatles) + Goodbye Stranger (20. Supertramp)

39. AIN’T THAT A kick in the head + SHAME + 70. man ON THE MOON = Ain’t that a Shame (7. Fats Domino) + Shame on the Moon (94. Bob Seger)

mrkelley23

#47 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:42 am

103. YOU GOT it + LUCKY + 72. still the ONE = You Got Lucky (19. Tom Petty) + Lucky One (36. Amy Grant)

mrkelley23

#48 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:47 am

47. WE ARE never ever getting back together + FAMILY + 32. 65 love AFFAIR = We are Family (77. Sister Sledge) + Family Affair (93. Sly and the Family Stone)

mrkelley23

#49 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:52 am

80. HUNGRY like the wolf + HEART + 37. the power OF GOLD = Hungry Heart (8. Bruce Springsteen) + Heart of Gold (124. Neil Young)

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Game #169: New Consolidation

#50 Post by Estonut » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:18 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Took out the clues for the ones we know, because I THINK all the errors were corrected. I only included the full matches we have for now, because I think there could be a lot of "false positive" partials for this game. I still can't find a Kool and the Gang song amongst the unknowns, for instance (And since that's the last part of the match that convinced me of the Tangredi, wouldn't that be a kick in the head?)

52. Have some fun,
Have some fun,
Have some fun,
Burn it up,
Let's burn up the night, baby.
This could be "Big Fun" by K&tG, but I'm not sure.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx