Just saw Wonder Woman

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Just saw Wonder Woman

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:11 pm

The reviews were right. It is the first really good superhero movie ever made in the DC Universe. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Just saw Wonder Woman

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:46 am

Bob78164 wrote:The reviews were right. It is the first really good superhero movie ever made in the DC Universe. --Bob
I take that back. The first couple of Batman movies back in the 1980s also were quite good. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#3 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:38 am

Bob78164 wrote:The reviews were right. It is the first really good superhero movie ever made in the DC Universe. --Bob
Weird how their TV shows are quite good (in my opinion, anyway) while their movies as of late have been,,uh,,,not so good,

I suppose, for me, a lot depends on what one considers the start of the DC Universe movies to be. If it is the series of Superman movies with Christopher Reeve, then I like the first one (once Marlon Brando is done with his is-this-ever-going-to end dialogue at the start) and Superman II, which was fun. The other two--ugh.

If it starts with the first series of Batman movies (not counting the 1966 spinoff of the TV Series, which is of course, goofy fun), then the first two are quite good, and I admit it, I didn't have much of a problem with the 3rd one either. The 4th one, however, was absolutely horrible..and no, I'm not blaming George Clooney. Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy was about as boring a villain as you can get, and Ah-nuld was a big disappointment as well (I went into it with high hopes for his Mr. Freeze). Chris O'Donnell's Robin was annoying, too, but the worst part of the movie was Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl. Her performance was fingernails-on-a-chalkboard bad for me. Just awful...I'd say amateurish, but that would be insulting to amateurs.

If we count the Christopher Nolan trilogy, well, I liked all three, especially the middle installment with Heath Ledger's Joker. Loved that one.

Superman Returns with Brandon Routh was pretty forgettable.

If we are looking at the movies that are in the mythology leading up to and past the Justice League this fall, then Wonder Woman is most definitely their first home run imo. Man of Steel and Suicide Squad were meh for me, and Batman vs. Superman...well, I stay out of the Ben Affleck as Batman controversy, since I really don't know if he's any good, as I can't stay awake during B vs. S--seriously, when I'm bored to tears by a Superhero movie, something's definitely wrong. Adding to my misery, I made the mistake of watching the "Director's Cut" or whatever they call the insufferable 3-hour version....I swear, for the first hour and a half, NOTHING HAPPENS! There's more thrills and excitement on C-SPAN.

Speaking of long-winded..I need to close.

Yes, I am in agreement that Wonder Woman was a thoroughly enjoyable movie..DC really needed this one. It's certainly the only good one involving one of their characters in a good while.

Unless you count The LEGO Batman Movie, which was hilarious and a ton of fun. :D
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:46 am

Also saw Pirates Of The Caribbean 547 this weekend. It is good escapist fun if you are a fan of the series and check your brains at the door. If your tastes run to more highbrow fare...well, it IS, after all , SUMMER movie season. My son took me to see it yesterday as part of my Father's Day, and it was part of a really nice day, so no complaints from me.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:33 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Weird how their TV shows are quite good (in my opinion, anyway) while their movies as of late have been,,uh,,,not so good,

I suppose, for me, a lot depends on what one considers the start of the DC Universe movies to be. If it is the series of Superman movies with Christopher Reeve, then I like the first one (once Marlon Brando is done with his is-this-ever-going-to end dialogue at the start) and Superman II, which was fun. The other two--ugh.

If it starts with the first series of Batman movies (not counting the 1966 spinoff of the TV Series, which is of course, goofy fun), then the first two are quite good, and I admit it, I didn't have much of a problem with the 3rd one either. The 4th one, however, was absolutely horrible..and no, I'm not blaming George Clooney. Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy was about as boring a villain as you can get, and Ah-nuld was a big disappointment as well (I went into it with high hopes for his Mr. Freeze). Chris O'Donnell's Robin was annoying, too, but the worst part of the movie was Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl. Her performance was fingernails-on-a-chalkboard bad for me. Just awful...I'd say amateurish, but that would be insulting to amateurs.

If we count the Christopher Nolan trilogy, well, I liked all three, especially the middle installment with Heath Ledger's Joker. Loved that one.

Superman Returns with Brandon Routh was pretty forgettable.

If we are looking at the movies that are in the mythology leading up to and past the Justice League this fall, then Wonder Woman is most definitely their first home run imo. Man of Steel and Suicide Squad were meh for me, and Batman vs. Superman...well, I stay out of the Ben Affleck as Batman controversy, since I really don't know if he's any good, as I can't stay awake during B vs. S--seriously, when I'm bored to tears by a Superhero movie, something's definitely wrong. Adding to my misery, I made the mistake of watching the "Director's Cut" or whatever they call the insufferable 3-hour version....I swear, for the first hour and a half, NOTHING HAPPENS! There's more thrills and excitement on C-SPAN.

Speaking of long-winded..I need to close.

Yes, I am in agreement that Wonder Woman was a thoroughly enjoyable movie..DC really needed this one. It's certainly the only good one involving one of their characters in a good while.

Unless you count The LEGO Batman Movie, which was hilarious and a ton of fun. :D
Well, okay. I could see the flaws in Suicide Squad but I still enjoyed the movie. The first couple of Superman movies were okay by me but I had some trouble suspending disbelief for the plot. --Bob

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#6 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:41 pm

With Suicide Squad I thought the characters were good and well-played (especially Harley Quinn), but the story itself could have been a little better,
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck