TEN!, Week Two, Tuesday

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Pastor Fireball

TEN!, Week Two, Tuesday

#1 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:49 pm

We're going across the pond for the next set of questions.

THE UNITED KINGDOM

England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland... it's all fair game today. Deadline is Wednesday at 5 PM Eastern.

1. Where is Stonehenge?
A. Near Durham
B. Near Ipswich
C. Near Bolton
D. Near Salisbury

2. Which of the following is not the nickname of a London skyscraper?
A. The Walkie-Talkie
B. The Crucible
C. The Gherkin
D. The Cheese Grater

3. The Lake District is one of the most popular national parks in the UK. Despite its name, though, the Lake District technically has only one lake. Name it.
A. Windermere
B. Bassenthwaite
C. Rydal
D. Coniston

4. Which of the following is an official residence of William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge?
A. Clarence House
B. St. James's Palace
C. Sandringham Estate
D. Balmoral Castle

5. What did the 19th-century man called Isambard Kingdom Brunel do for a living?
A. Civil engineering
B. Poetry
C. Acting
D. Royal portraits

6. In the UK, it's called "embracery". What crime is it called on our side of the Atlantic?
A. Contempt
B. Perjury
C. Jury tampering
D. Entrapment

7. What is the name of the most northerly point of mainland Scotland and Great Britain?
A. John o' Groats
B. Upper Lybster
C. Dunnet Head
D. Spittal Hamlet

8. Soon to begin its 47th year on television, what is the name of the UK's version of the classic American game show "G.E. College Bowl"?
A. "High-Q"
B. "University Challenge"
C. "Academic Games"
D. "College Quiz"

9. A village of 3,100 people that lies on the Menai Strait on the Isle of Anglesey in Wales attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists every year. Why?
A. The World Cricket Hall of Fame is there
B. Its name starts with "S**t"
C. Richard Burton was born there
D. It's the world's longest place name

BONUS: What is the name of that frog-faced, Trump-loving wanker who leads the UK Independence Party (Britain's version of the Tea Party or the Nazis) and was one of the most vocal supporters of last year's Brexit vote?
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Pastor Fireball

Re: TEN!, Week Two, Tuesday

#2 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:18 pm

1. Where is Stonehenge?
A. Near Durham
B. Near Ipswich
C. Near Bolton
D. Near Salisbury

Pretty tough question if you didn't know that Stonehenge is located in the southwestern part of England.

2. Which of the following is not the nickname of a London skyscraper?
A. The Walkie-Talkie
B. The Crucible
C. The Gherkin
D. The Cheese Grater

That's actually the name of the theater in Sheffield where the world snooker championship has taken place since 1977.

3. The Lake District is one of the most popular national parks in the UK. Despite its name, though, the Lake District technically has only one lake. Name it.
A. Windermere
B. Bassenthwaite
C. Rydal
D. Coniston

Every other body of water within the park is a mere, a tarn, or a water.

4. Which of the following is an official residence of William and Kate, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge?
A. Clarence House
B. St. James's Palace
C. Sandringham Estate
D. Balmoral Castle

Anmer Hall on this estate is their private residence.

5. What did the 19th-century man called Isambard Kingdom Brunel do for a living?
A. Civil engineering
B. Poetry
C. Acting
D. Royal portraits

He almost singlehandedly modernized England with the construction of bridges, tunnels, railroads, ships, and dockyards. He even designed a mobile hospital--with heavy emphasis on hygiene--that saved the lives of hundreds of British soldiers in the Crimean War.

6. In the UK, it's called "embracery". What crime is it called on our side of the Atlantic?
A. Contempt
B. Perjury
C. Jury tampering
D. Entrapment

7. What is the name of the most northerly point of mainland Scotland and Great Britain?
A. John o' Groats
B. Upper Lybster
C. Dunnet Head
D. Spittal Hamlet

John o' Groats was a trap. Although John o' Groats is traditionally considered the northernmost point of Scotland, Dunnet Head is actually farther north.

8. Soon to begin its 47th year on television, what is the name of the UK's version of the classic American game show "G.E. College Bowl"?
A. "High-Q"
B. "University Challenge"
C. "Academic Games"
D. "College Quiz"

9. A village of 3,100 people that lies on the Menai Strait on the Isle of Anglesey in Wales attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists every year. Why?
A. The World Cricket Hall of Fame is there
B. Its name starts with "S**t"
C. Richard Burton was born there
D. It's the world's longest place name

Although there is a village called Shitterton in Dorset, England, it's actually the village of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch that you will find in Anglesey. Since i couldn't accurately spell or pronounce that name without looking it up first, I'm better off just calling it "Llanfair PG" for short.

BONUS: What is the name of that frog-faced, Trump-loving wanker who leads the UK Independence Party (Britain's version of the Tea Party or the Nazis) and was one of the most vocal supporters of last year's Brexit vote?

Nigel Farage

I've trolled Farage on Twitter a few times, but I've been shirking my patriotic obligations lately. I haven't even trolled the apricot asscrack in over a month. I've been too focused on this game, my Atlanta vacation last month, and my Tampa vacation coming up.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)