TEN!, Week Two, Wednesday

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Pastor Fireball

TEN!, Week Two, Wednesday

#1 Post by Pastor Fireball » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:16 pm

I hear a symphony... so that can only mean one thing:

MUSIC

While I'm still trying to find missing links in Frank's game, you can tangle with these queries until Friday at 5 PM Eastern.

1. The children's song "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" follows the same melody as which other well-known song?
A. "Jingle Bells"
B. "Jolly Good Fellow"
C. "Greensleeves"
D. "Skip to My Lou"

2. According to the Suzanne Vega hit, where did Luka live?
A. Next door
B. Around the corner
C. Upstairs
D. Down the way

3. What was the real first name of "Big Mama" Thornton, the blues singer who recorded "Hound Dog" about three years before some guy named Elvis made it iconic?
A. Eddie
B. Bobbie
C. Jessie
D. Willie

4. In terms of record sales and chart performance, Madonna was the most successful female singer in America during the 1980s. Which female was tops in the 1980s in terms of record sales and chart performance in the United Kingdom?
A. Madonna
B. Sheena Easton
C. Diana Ross
D. Kim Wilde

5. In 1956, which country won the first Eurovision Song Contest?
A. Sweden
B. Israel
C. Switzerland
D. Portugal

6. The Bee Gees had a US Top 40 hit in the 1990s. What was its one-word title?
A. "Alaska"
B. "Anytime"
C. "Alone"
D. "Arrested"

7. Sticking with the Top 40 in the 1990s, Garth Brooks had only one Top 40 pop hit in his long career. However, he needed an alter ego to get it. What was that big hit for "Chris Gaines", which shared its title with a more familiar Rod Stewart hit?
A. "Lost in You"
B. "Downtown Train"
C. "Forever Young"
D. "Infatuation"

8. Gheorghe Zamfir is a virtuoso of what unlikely instrument?
A. Tambourine
B. Pan flute
C. Zither
D. Two spoons

9. Fill in this blank to make a line from a recent #1 hit: "I got broads in _____."
A. Miami
B. Las Vegas
C. Atlanta
D. Chicago

BONUS. What was the name of David Bowie's final studio album, which was released just two days before the rock star's death in January 2016?
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Pastor Fireball

Re: TEN!, Week Two, Wednesday

#2 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:24 pm

1. The children's song "The Bear Went Over the Mountain" follows the same melody as which other well-known song?
A. "Jingle Bells"
B. "Jolly Good Fellow"
C. "Greensleeves"
D. "Skip to My Lou"

2. According to the Suzanne Vega hit, where did Luka live?
A. Next door
B. Around the corner
C. Upstairs
D. Down the way

"My name is Luka. I live on the second floor. I live upstairs from you."

3. What was the real first name of "Big Mama" Thornton, the blues singer who recorded "Hound Dog" about three years before some guy named Elvis made it iconic?
A. Eddie
B. Bobbie
C. Jessie
D. Willie

4. In terms of record sales and chart performance, Madonna was the most successful female singer in America during the 1980s. Which female was tops in the 1980s in terms of record sales and chart performance in the United Kingdom?
A. Madonna
B. Sheena Easton
C. Diana Ross
D. Kim Wilde

It was no contest in England, either. Madge had 21 Top 10 singles, 6 #1 singles, and a trio of consecutive #1 albums. She sold almost five million albums across the pond.

5. In 1956, which country won the first Eurovision Song Contest?
A. Sweden
B. Israel
C. Switzerland
D. Portugal

Celine Dion achieved international fame 32 years later when she sang for Switzerland and won. Of course, ABBA is the world's most famous winner of the contest, doing it in 1974 with "Waterloo". Although Israel isn't in Europe, they do regularly compete. In fact, Israel has won the contest three times. Portugal, on the other hand, has never won.

6. The Bee Gees had a US Top 40 hit in the 1990s. What was its one-word title?
A. "Alaska"
B. "Anytime"
C. "Alone"
D. "Arrested"

7. Sticking with the Top 40 in the 1990s, Garth Brooks had only one Top 40 pop hit in his long career. However, he needed an alter ego to get it. What was that big hit for "Chris Gaines", which shared its title with a more familiar Rod Stewart hit?
A. "Lost in You"
B. "Downtown Train"
C. "Forever Young"
D. "Infatuation"

8. Gheorghe Zamfir is a virtuoso of what unlikely instrument?
A. Tambourine
B. Pan flute
C. Zither
D. Two spoons

9. Fill in this blank to make a line from a recent #1 hit: "I got broads in _____."
A. Miami
B. Las Vegas
C. Atlanta
D. Chicago

The song was called "Panda" by rapper Desiigner (with two Is). It spent three weeks at the top of the Hot 100 last year.

BONUS. What was the name of David Bowie's final studio album, which was released just two days before the rock star's death in January 2016?

Blackstar

The album was a posthumous winner at the Grammys last year.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)