London fire caused by fire in freezer

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

London fire caused by fire in freezer

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:16 am

I can't do links on this tablet, but heard on NPR.

Maybe there will be a movement against frost-free freezers (a thing I'm ticked off about). As well as against building insulation that feeds fires, which seems to be why this fire spread.

Hotpoint freezer, if you're checking brands.

themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: London fire caused by fire in freezer

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:51 am

I have heard that Freon is less explosive than isobutane

http://www.acr-news.com/are-our-fridges-safe
Greenpeace developed Greenfreeze technology in 1992 utilising isobutane and propane as refrigerants and cyclopentane for producing the insulating foam. According to the environmental group, the technology is currently used in over 300 million refrigerators worldwide.
Last edited by themanintheseersuckersuit on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:07 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I have heard that Freon is less explosive than isobutane
Absolutely true. Also was able to cool at a much lower pressure, requiring less power and giving higher efficiencies.

On a related note, asbestos is a much better insulator than the flammable stuff they apparently used.

Wonder why they quit using them?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:10 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I have heard that Freon is less explosive than isobutane
Absolutely true. Also was able to cool at a much lower pressure, requiring less power and giving higher efficiencies.

On a related note, asbestos is a much better insulator than the flammable stuff they apparently used.

Because some asbestos is dangerous we quit using any asbestos
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:15 am

ghostjmf wrote: Hotpoint freezer, if you're checking brands.
From Home Depot, most likely.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 am

The biggest issue in the fire was the design of the cladding that was installed. Any fire, regardless of the cause was a potential disaster due to the efficient (but unintended) chimney design of the cladding. Once the fire started, the cladding provided an efficient and effective flow of oxygen to the fire and a path for it to quickly spread upward,outside of the building, but inside the cladding.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#7 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:26 am

Vandal wrote:
ghostjmf wrote: Hotpoint freezer, if you're checking brands.
From Home Depot, most likely.

I'm glad someone said it, because I was very tempted...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

eyégor
???????

#8 Post by eyégor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:35 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

Reminds me of the time Ace got in trouble because a nutjob turned him in for floor tiles that allegedly contained encapsulated asbestos.

I think my neighbor has old asbestos siding shingles under the siding. Guess I will go file a suit next week. Of course his basement is filled with pipes that had the asbestos insulation ripped off of it at the beginning of the 'all asbestos is bad' years. Still has loose strands hanging off some IIRC.

SpacemanSpiff

#9 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:48 am

eyégor wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:

Reminds me of the time Ace got in trouble because a nutjob turned him in for floor tiles that allegedly contained encapsulated asbestos.

I think my neighbor has old asbestos siding shingles under the siding. Guess I will go file a suit next week. Of course his basement is filled with pipes that had the asbestos insulation ripped off of it at the beginning of the 'all asbestos is bad' years. Still has loose strands hanging off some IIRC.
He should have sealed it with lead paint.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

eyégor
???????

#10 Post by eyégor » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:51 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
eyégor wrote:

He should have sealed it with lead paint.
I was thinking Aquanet, from 1975

President Chump
Merry Man

#11 Post by President Chump » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:09 am

eyégor wrote:I was thinking Aquanet, from 1975

I might still have some of that. In my hair.....

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:15 am

ghostjmf wrote:I can't do links on this tablet, but heard on NPR.

Maybe there will be a movement against frost-free freezers (a thing I'm ticked off about). As well as against building insulation that feeds fires, which seems to be why this fire spread.

Hotpoint freezer, if you're checking brands.
The brand name should have been a clue. :roll:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

#13 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:47 am

Suitguy is not bitter.

#14 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:29 pm

Suitguy is not bitter.