New episodes?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
bazodee

New episodes?

#1 Post by bazodee » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Are there any remaining new episodes this year? (can I turn my DVR off?) Do we have a start date for the 2017-2018 season?

jarnon

Re: New episodes?

#2 Post by jarnon » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Spoiler
On the June 2 episode, the contestant had been trying to get on the show since the Regis days. He finished unexpectedly early. The episode ended with two audience contestants. It felt like the season finale.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:22 am

bazodee wrote:Are there any remaining new episodes this year? (can I turn my DVR off?) Do we have a start date for the 2017-2018 season?
Doesn't your DVR have a setting that allows you to specify that it record only new episodes, as opposed to all episodes?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

triviawayne

#4 Post by triviawayne » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:28 am

Estonut wrote:
bazodee wrote:Are there any remaining new episodes this year? (can I turn my DVR off?) Do we have a start date for the 2017-2018 season?
Doesn't your DVR have a setting that allows you to specify that it record only new episodes, as opposed to all episodes?
They all do, but it only works if the provider of the guide specifies "new" and does it correctly. The software I'm stuck with on my DVR fails often, so I always set mine for new and repeats for all shows.

to answer the question...the season has ended, and the new season will start sometime in September; probably the 11th or 18th.

bazodee

#5 Post by bazodee » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:27 am

Estonut wrote:
I have the only brand of DVR in the world that is not connected to a cable/satellite/TiVo-like service. It receives signals via an over-the-air antenna. So it operates much like VCRs did in the old days. I set the time; it records, not knowing anything about the content of programming.

So I can record programs without paying a dime to any intermediary. My TV is not connected to the internet (or outside world).

jarnon

#6 Post by jarnon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Chris Harrison blogged that the 2017-2018 season is premiering on Monday, September 11, 2017.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

TheConfessor

#7 Post by TheConfessor » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:17 am

bazodee wrote:
Estonut wrote:
I have the only brand of DVR in the world that is not connected to a cable/satellite/TiVo-like service. It receives signals via an over-the-air antenna. So it operates much like VCRs did in the old days. I set the time; it records, not knowing anything about the content of programming.

So I can record programs without paying a dime to any intermediary. My TV is not connected to the internet (or outside world).
That sounds useful. Who makes it? Is it still available?

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:21 am

bazodee: There's more than one such DVR. I found out by looking up replacement converter (digital to analog) boxes. These days they're usually a feature built into a stand-alone DVR.

Turn out, though, what is fritzing out my converter boxes is possibly local electrical grid minor fluctuations, & changing devices won't cure that. So I'm not going to abandon my pair of VCRs yet.

There are a few standalone DVRs that have a usb port for recording copies you can archive w/out the machine, but no guarantee I can find that a computer will be able to read them, which I need to know.

triviawayne

#9 Post by triviawayne » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 am

ghostjmf wrote:bazodee: There's more than one such DVR. I found out by looking up replacement converter (digital to analog) boxes. These days they're usually a feature built into a stand-alone DVR.

Turn out, though, what is fritzing out my converter boxes is possibly local electrical grid minor fluctuations, & changing devices won't cure that. So I'm not going to abandon my pair of VCRs yet.

There are a few standalone DVRs that have a usb port for recording copies you can archive w/out the machine, but no guarantee I can find that a computer will be able to read them, which I need to know.
you can always get a ups to deal with those power fluctuations

I used to have that problem all the time. Found out the entire development where I live was having them. Threatened the power company with a class action lawsuit to reclaim all the money we paid on our bills marked as "maintenance fees" as the power company was obviously not maintaining our equipment while raising prices and showing record profits.

We don't have that problem anymore, and we also have much fewer outages...

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:21 pm

triviawayne wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:bazodee: There's more than one such DVR. I found out by looking up replacement converter (digital to analog) boxes. These days they're usually a feature built into a stand-alone DVR.

I used to have that problem all the time. Found out the entire development where I live was having them. Threatened the power company with a class action lawsuit to reclaim all the money we paid on our bills marked as "maintenance fees" as the power company was obviously not maintaining our equipment while raising prices and showing record profits.

Good thing your contract with the power company doesn't have a mandatory arbitration clause with a class action waiver. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

ghostjmf

#11 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:58 pm

triviawayne:

I can't do anything that involves the house electricity (I do pay my floor's bill) without involving my landowner.

There is a box the local grid is supposed to be putting in place at various electrical junctions that specifically addresses local fluctuations; its supposed to take them in & iron them out. Its made by a Mass company so a local TV station did a feature on them; wish I'd written down name. But at any rate, this box is *not* to be seen on the junction right outside my house.

triviawayne

#12 Post by triviawayne » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

Good thing your contract with the power company doesn't have a mandatory arbitration clause with a class action waiver. --Bob
Which wouldn't be worth the paper it's printed on

triviawayne

#13 Post by triviawayne » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:17 pm

ghostjmf wrote:triviawayne:

I can't do anything that involves the house electricity (I do pay my floor's bill) without involving my landowner.

There is a box the local grid is supposed to be putting in place at various electrical junctions that specifically addresses local fluctuations; its supposed to take them in & iron them out. Its made by a Mass company so a local TV station did a feature on them; wish I'd written down name. But at any rate, this box is *not* to be seen on the junction right outside my house.
You can still get a ups

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:43 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

Which wouldn't be worth the paper it's printed on
Unfortunately, I must beg to differ. The Supreme Court has been quite clear that under the Federal Arbitration Act, such clauses are generally enforceable. That's why the CPFB is in the process of issuing a rule (which Congress is already preparing to challenge) that would preclude credit card companies from including such clauses in their contracts with consumers. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#15 Post by jarnon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:47 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

Here in Pennsylvania, at least, the state utility authority would frown on arbitration clauses in contracts with electric monopolies.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ghostjmf

#16 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:04 pm

triviawayne:

Uninterruptable Power Supplies turn out to have quite a price range. I'll have to find out what's wrong with the $40.00 one & if nothing is, see whether I can plug 2 circuit breakers into it.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:09 pm

ghostjmf wrote:triviawayne:

Uninterruptable Power Supplies turn out to have quite a price range. I'll have to find out what's wrong with the $40.00 one & if nothing is, see whether I can plug 2 circuit breakers into it.
Circuit breakers? Are you talking about power strips?

Are you thinking about this to "prevent fritzing" or to continue recording during power failures? If the latter, you will need UPS with great capacity, which probably won't be the case for the $40 one. I'd guess that one is meant to keep your computer running long enough to shut it down properly, not to continue working for hours.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#18 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:49 pm

Estonut:

As I already stated, I want something to not-allow minor voltage fluctuations through so that my convertor boxes won't get reset to nonsensical settings. I don't have a real computer.

It wouldn't hurt to have my fridge on one of these too.

No, I'm not looking for something to last through a real power outage, though I admit it is tempting.

ghostjmf

#19 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:12 am

Just to clarify, the VCRs continue to record whatever the fritzed converter box is sending it. That can be a fractallated picture (sometimes the converter does completely reset itself & fix this), but the worst thing that happens is that if you have the box set to change stations at *any* time, when the power fluctuation happens it immediately changes to some other station. This possibility is why I've ceased to preset station changes.