They're putting me back on insulin.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

They're putting me back on insulin.

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:11 am

My blood sugar has been creeping back up over the past year+. Its now at a point where 250+ is a good day. This despite me being on max doses of metformin, glipizide (a glucophage; we tried a sub for this & it was worse) & Januvia (sitaglip-something).

I am very demoralized. One researcher thinks at least some type-2 diabetics produce defectively-shaped insulin that doesn't work very well & even breaks the holding vessels for it. But that after a rest (given by taking insulin) some of the insulin-producing beta cells recover enough to produce their defective insulin again.

When I was 1st diagnosed, they had me on insulin for about 3 months, then weaned me off & onto glipizide, which gooses your own beta cells. Well, this worked for me for a couple years. But when I asked, the doctor said they wanted me on insulin for at least a year.

Probably for the rest of my life.

I am very bummed out.

But I certainly don't want the long-term effects of diabetes (blindness, stiffer blood vessels that contribute to strokes; I've already got the compromised immune system; this is from someone who used to have a killer immune system) either.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BackInTex

Re: They're putting me back on insulin.

#2 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:14 am

I'm sorry to see this. Here's hoping for another bounce back so yo can get off it again.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

a1mamacat

#3 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:23 am

so sorry ghost. :(
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

thguy65

#4 Post by thguy65 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:49 am

I'm glad you are appreciating the benefits of better blood glucose control that you can get from using insulin.
It is better to embrace using this tool for your health rather than pushing it away.

- Tim H.

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:06 am

I can see where Type II diabetes can induce some soul-searching and some resistance to treatment. I"m glad you're embracing the treatment. Too many people resist the treatment, trying to out-willpower the disease.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:13 am

There's one new treatment we didn't go for. Dr. made it my choice; Januvia, which I went for, which increases the levels of incretins, which goose your body to produce insulin, or another class of drug which promotes loose sugar going into your urine. I already have bad effects from sugar-laden urine. Maybe I should opt for trying that one, but not now, I guess.

The literature on Januvia says not to take it if you have ketones in your urine, & I'm starting to have trace amounts. All-over not good.

I've lost more weight while on the Januvia, though. Will hate to see the weight creep back up.

A bunch of theories have lower weight leading to your body being able to regulate its own insulin production, but not with me, I guess.

All that free sugar floating around is what makes pre-diabetics get fat, by some theories; you can't get it into cells to burn it, so you store it as fat instead.

I like the thought of my body being able to run itself, but apparently it cannot.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#7 Post by T_Bone0806 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:59 pm

While my blood sugar never approached dangerous levels, it was certainly not what it should have been, to the point where medication was prescribed. Then I lost a lot of weight when I took ill 3 years ago. Since then, my numbers are consistently in the normal range, and I no longer take the meds. I am able to enjoy a couple of cookies or an occasional dish of ice cream, but I am much more careful about what I eat and how often. Hopefully that will continue to hold true. I am very lucky. I would not recommend pneumonia as a weight loss strategy, however.

I am hoping for you to recover from this setback and wish you better health ahead! Hang in there!
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck