Q for the Cool Hepcats that Dig OS Card

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Q for the Cool Hepcats that Dig OS Card

#1 Post by Spock » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:16 am

Hey, don't you wish you were going to be in a car with me for 30 plus hours in the next 10 days. Stand back ladies, there can only be one Mrs. S.

Anyway, we have obviously talked about Card before, but it has been awhile.

Card is the Spocklette's favorite author and we read him together. Well, not together but we read the same series-she has one book and me another in the series-you know what I mean.

IIRC, since last we spoke, we have read the Alvin Maker series, are up-to-date on the early Formic War series and are currently working on the Genesis women series.

She has to go back and read the Shadow series-she lost her way partway through, but she is older now and it will be fine. Obviously, at this point, there is no reason for her to read the Ender continuation.

It looks like our next step will will be either the Lost Gates (Mither Mages) series or the Memory of Earth series.

Are both those series accessible, or do they get "Enderesque." We are leaning toward Memory of Earth. What series do you guys prefer?

I have tried to get her to read some YA Heinlein that I loved at her age-"Tunnel in the Sky"/"Farmer in the Sky" etc-but she never gets to them.

ghostjmf

Re: Q for the Cool Hepcats that Dig OS Card

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:28 am

I would recommend way-earlier Card, such as that book where the protagonist visits some very weird colonies (can't think of title). Card had a talent for anthropological-fantasy creation he has since long abandoned.

Card completely lost me in whichever series he propounds that young men should all have intro-to-sex from instructional older women. Yeah, we're all waiting around here for some teenagers to "instruct".

A man's dream if I ever read one.

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:50 am

ghostjmf wrote:I would recommend way-earlier Card, such as that book where the protagonist visits some very weird colonies (can't think of title). Card had a talent for anthropological-fantasy creation he has since long abandoned.

Card completely lost me in whichever series he propounds that young men should all have intro-to-sex from instructional older women. Yeah, we're all waiting around here for some teenagers to "instruct".

A man's dream if I ever read one.
Well, since you offered. There is room in the Expedition and on the first weekend there will be 2 teenage boys along-14 and 19. (LOL)

mrkelley23

#4 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:03 am

I've read the two novels out so far in the Mithermage series, and liked them, but didn't love them.

I'm sure I read the Memory of Earth series long ago, but it doesn't stand out in any way in my, um, memory.

Sorry I can't give them more positive reviews. You've mentioned reading all the ones I could strongly recommend, except for two standalone novels: Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus; and Lost Boys.

Two very different novels -- the first is a kind of alternate history with a science fiction plot device, the second is straight Gothic horror.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:43 am

mrkelley23 wrote:I've read the two novels out so far in the Mithermage series, and liked them, but didn't love them.

I'm sure I read the Memory of Earth series long ago, but it doesn't stand out in any way in my, um, memory.

Sorry I can't give them more positive reviews. You've mentioned reading all the ones I could strongly recommend, except for two standalone novels: Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus; and Lost Boys.

Two very different novels -- the first is a kind of alternate history with a science fiction plot device, the second is straight Gothic horror.
My reading experience and recommendations would echo this post.

But to add a little original content to the thread...I'd suggest Spocklette read Lost Boys in its original short-story form, first. Then, if she likes it, she can read the expanded, full-length novel version.