Wildlife experts: Spock was right all along

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Wildlife experts: Spock was right all along

#1 Post by jarnon » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:59 pm

I stumbled across this article that confirms what Spock has been telling us for years. The authors belong to the WWF.

Complementary benefits of tourism and hunting to communal conservancies in Namibia

I hope I'm doing the pull quote thing right.

>>>>> Across all conservancies, total benefits from hunting and tourism increased at roughly the same rate, although conservancies typically started generating benefits from hunting within 3 years of formation as opposed to after 6 years for tourism. Disaggregation of data revealed that the main benefits from hunting were income for conservancy management and food in the form of meat for the community at large. <<<<<

>>>>> A singular focus on either hunting or tourism would reduce the value of wildlife as a competitive land-use option and have grave repercussions for the viability of community-based conservation efforts in Namibia, and possibly other parts of Africa. <<<<<
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Spock

Re: Wildlife experts: Spock was right all along

#2 Post by Spock » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Rec!!!!

(LOL)

Oddly enough, as an old Africa hand, I have been brewing up a post on something from my Africa trip that correlates with something that I just ran across while researching other stuff.

Spock

Re: Wildlife experts: Spock was right all along

#3 Post by Spock » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 pm

jarnon wrote:I stumbled across this article that confirms what Spock has been telling us for years. The authors belong to the WWF.

Complementary benefits of tourism and hunting to communal conservancies in Namibia

I hope I'm doing the pull quote thing right.

>>>>> Across all conservancies, total benefits from hunting and tourism increased at roughly the same rate, although conservancies typically started generating benefits from hunting within 3 years of formation as opposed to after 6 years for tourism. Disaggregation of data revealed that the main benefits from hunting were income for conservancy management and food in the form of meat for the community at large. <<<<<

>>>>> A singular focus on either hunting or tourism would reduce the value of wildlife as a competitive land-use option and have grave repercussions for the viability of community-based conservation efforts in Namibia, and possibly other parts of Africa. <<<<<
Jarnon (and any interested parties)-

I have thrown this book out as a suggestion before-you might be interested.

"Game Changer: Animal Rights and the Fate of Africa's Wildlife" by Glen Martin.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0079JK63Q/re ... TF8&btkr=1

The focus of the book is the wildlife debacle in Kenya, where there are no legal consumptive uses of wildlife.

Martin also looks at the Namibia model, among other things.

FWIW, I felt the dusty plains of Africa while reading this book more directly than any other book I have read.

FWIW #2-I have never seen those on the other side of the issue from me and my ilk seriously engage on the Kenya issue. They will not touch it with a 10-foot pole.