Basic WWTBAM knowledge?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kaw92

Basic WWTBAM knowledge?

#1 Post by kaw92 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi folks! I'll be taping soon (finally!)

I watched the first few seasons of WWTBAM as well as the last couple and just wanted to make sure I didn't have any gaping holes in my knowledge. Is there anything that gets asked about far more than it seems it should? I've been brushing up on Greek/Latin roots because it seems like there's one of those every couple episodes but I haven't noticed any other trends. I know other quiz shows tend to really like presidents or world capitals and that WWTBAM is more pop culture-y (which will surely be my downfall, just trying to be as prepared as possible).

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Basic WWTBAM knowledge?

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:00 pm

kaw92 wrote:Hi folks! I'll be taping soon (finally!)

I watched the first few seasons of WWTBAM as well as the last couple and just wanted to make sure I didn't have any gaping holes in my knowledge. Is there anything that gets asked about far more than it seems it should? I've been brushing up on Greek/Latin roots because it seems like there's one of those every couple episodes but I haven't noticed any other trends. I know other quiz shows tend to really like presidents or world capitals and that WWTBAM is more pop culture-y (which will surely be my downfall, just trying to be as prepared as possible).
Congratulations! I don't recall having you on the Audition List so if you'll provide your particulars (audition date, confirmation that you received a video interview, and taping date) I'll be happy to add you.

I think your best resource is probably the transcript threads, which all can be found in a separate subforum of this Bored. Good luck! --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#3 Post by jarnon » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:06 pm

Congrats, and best of luck!

IMHO reviewing transcripts is a great way to prepare. It gives you an idea of what topics the writers like to use, at various levels. Also pay attention to the way the questions are written. Most of them contain excess verbiage that's no help, but some have hidden clues. And think about when to use lifelines. So many times, a player eliminates one or two answers, and then is surprised when 50/50 removes the same ones. Similarly, study what kinds of questions the audience has a good grip on.

Decide your goals beforehand. To win the really big money, you'll have to take chances, so think about how much you're prepared to risk.

Have fun!
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:18 pm

Please remember that the 50/50 is not random. They'll explain this to you when they prep you, but so many contestants forget. The show leaves up the right answer, of course, but also leaves what they think is the best distractor.

At one point the show went over to a random choice of the 3 wrong answers, but currently are back to "best distractor".
Last edited by ghostjmf on Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

triviawayne

#5 Post by triviawayne » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Studying Latin roots will always help immensely in a trivia game

Agrajag

#6 Post by Agrajag » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:37 pm

Anyone have good links to online Latin/Greek roots to study?

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:50 am

triviawayne wrote:Studying Latin roots will always help immensely in a trivia game
Not necessarily :cry:
Sometimes too much knowledge can be a dangerous thing. It cost me $93,000.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

bazodee

#8 Post by bazodee » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:30 am

It's hard to jam more in your head at this point, but I would be brushing up on pop culture. The questions for your show are probably being written about as we speak, so stay current on blockbuster movies, hit songs, TV shows and general internet nonsense and gossip.

Peruse People and Entertainment Weekly for the next few weeks. It may save you from having to blow an ATA lifeline.

triviawayne

#9 Post by triviawayne » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:28 am

earendel wrote:
triviawayne wrote:Studying Latin roots will always help immensely in a trivia game
not having that cost me two lifelines... :lol:

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:32 am

triviawayne wrote:
earendel wrote:
I'll trade you.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

TheConfessor

#11 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:47 pm

earendel wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
earendel wrote: Not necessarily :cry:
I'll trade you.
You'll trade your $32K for Wayne's $5K? What a deal!

themanwho

#12 Post by themanwho » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:14 pm

A rough comparative knowledge of the geography of the world.

How many miles is it across the USA? Across the Atlantic Ocean to Europe? Around the Equator? Across a time zone? Across a degree of longitude?
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

kaw92

#13 Post by kaw92 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:16 pm

themanwho wrote:A rough comparative knowledge of the geography of the world.

How many miles is it across the USA? Across the Atlantic Ocean to Europe? Around the Equator? Across a time zone? Across a degree of longitude?
oh, this is good. i noticed that there have been a good number of questions boiling down to "Which of these countries/cities/etc is north/south of the equator", i'll take a look at that as well

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:35 pm

themanwho wrote:A rough comparative knowledge of the geography of the world.

That last question depends on your latitude. But a degree of latitude is more or less constant, roughly 67 miles or so. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:54 pm

bazodee wrote:It's hard to jam more in your head at this point, but I would be brushing up on pop culture. The questions for your show are probably being written about as we speak, so stay current on blockbuster movies, hit songs, TV shows and general internet nonsense and gossip.

Peruse People and Entertainment Weekly for the next few weeks. It may save you from having to blow an ATA lifeline.
I'd also look over the TV schedules for the late night shows. If you are unfamiliar with the names of actors or musical artists, look them up to see what their current projects are.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:23 pm

Estonut wrote:
bazodee wrote:It's hard to jam more in your head at this point, but I would be brushing up on pop culture. The questions for your show are probably being written about as we speak, so stay current on blockbuster movies, hit songs, TV shows and general internet nonsense and gossip.

I'd also look over the TV schedules for the late night shows. If you are unfamiliar with the names of actors or musical artists, look them up to see what their current projects are.
Don't just look up actors and their roles and their relationships to each other. Look up occupations of the characters. That cost me my ATA.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

themanwho

#17 Post by themanwho » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:37 pm

I am of the opinion (with absolutely no supporting evidence) that the third-tier questions are all written in batches, and are intended to be a little more academic-historical-literary, as opposed to hinging on pop culture. Presumably, since most contestants aren't expected to make it that far, they can write a bunch of those, and then break them out as needed; however, they need to be a bit more "timeless". You understand what I mean, I hope?

To prep yourself for that kind of thing, I highly endorse the "Futility Closet" blog, which is chock-full of historical and literary anecdotes.

https://www.futilitycloset.com/

Hit up the Trivia, Language, History, and Literature keywords in the sidebar, and have yourself some good reading.
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

triviawayne

#18 Post by triviawayne » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:36 am

TheConfessor wrote:
earendel wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
I'll trade you.
You'll trade your $32K for Wayne's $5K? What a deal!
I'd rather have the two lifelines back, use +1 on the question I bowed out on, and still have 50/50 to get through the $50K or above

...uh...how sure were you on that tattoo question?

Steven Sousa

#19 Post by Steven Sousa » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:13 am

kaw92 wrote:Hi folks! I'll be taping soon (finally!)

A few random things you should know that randomly come up from time to time:

Chemical elements & their symbols
The colors of billiard balls
The military phonetic alphabet
Years and locations of the Olympics