Prayer for Senator McCain

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Re: Prayer for Senator McCain

#26 Post by BackInTex » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:47 am

Bob78164 wrote:Here's Senator McCain's press release on the domestic terrorist attack today in Charlottesville, Virginia. --Bob
There was no domestic terrorist attack. As much as you wish there were.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

silverscreenselect

#27 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:33 am

BackInTex wrote: There was no domestic terrorist attack. As much as you wish there were.
Well, according to the Patriot Act:
A person engages in domestic terrorism if they do an act ""dangerous to human life"" that is a violation of the criminal laws of a state or the United States, if the act appears to be intended to: (i) intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping. Additionally, the acts have to occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States and if they do not, may be regarded as international terrorism.
https://www.aclu.org/other/how-usa-patr ... -terrorism

Let's see:

Primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States -- Check
Intended to intimidate or coerce a civilian population -- Check

It probably wasn't as well planned as some terrorist attacks, but then again some of these other attacks seem fairly spur-of-the-moment as well:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/14/europe/ni ... index.html

The only difference between this guy and the French terrorist is that this guy wasn't as good at what he was trying to do.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mrkelley23

#28 Post by mrkelley23 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:43 am

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Here's Senator McCain's press release on the domestic terrorist attack today in Charlottesville, Virginia. --Bob
Sens. Cory Gardner, Ted Cruz, and Orrin Hatch all appear to disagree with you. But they're all liberal snowflakes, so what do they know?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#29 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:28 pm

BackInTex wrote:
A native-born United States citizen (i.e., domestic) drove a car into a crowd of pedestrians in order to hurt them so he could advance his political views. That seems to me a textbook definition of terrorist attack. Unless the driver's skin color is a necessary element. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#30 Post by BackInTex » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:13 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Intended to intimidate or coerce a civilian population -- Check
This is where we probably disagree. Neither of us know the motivation, but I believe the guy never planned to do this. It was a spur of the moment action done in frustration against those preventing him and his group from executing their protest.

I don't believe it qualifies as a hate crime either (though admittedly I don't believe in hate crime as a construct in our legal system). The guy ran over the people as a result of their actions, that day, against him and his group, not because of who they are or his thoughts or beliefs.

I'm not defending what he did, but it was not terrorism.
mrkelley23 wrote: Sens. Cory Gardner, Ted Cruz, and Orrin Hatch all appear to disagree with you. But they're all liberal snowflakes, so what do they know?
Politicians say a lot of things to win votes, win support, avoid confrontation, etc.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#31 Post by BackInTex » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Bob78164 wrote:A native-born United States citizen (i.e., domestic) drove a car into a crowd of pedestrians in order to hurt them so he could advance his political views.
I do not believe he did it to advance his political views, though I will admit, I do not know what motivated him to do it at that instance.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#32 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:08 pm

White supremacists are the scum of the earth, and if this incident is truly how the media is portraying it, it is to be condemned. The media has, however, by their own actions, made themselves less than credible. Where was the outcry for calling the rioters in Berkeley or the ones in Washington DC the day of trump's inauguration what they were? Especially the ones that wear black masks? They are left wing terrorists.

The actions of these scumbags and what they believe in are not in anyway reflective of 99.9% of republicans or conservatives. I don't know why I have to even write that. But it seems that it needs to be said for the benefit of some people.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#33 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:13 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:White supremacists are the scum of the earth, and if this incident is truly how the media is portraying it, it is to be condemned. The media has, however, by their own actions, made themselves less than credible. Where was the outcry for calling the rioters in Berkeley or the ones in Washington DC the day of trump's inauguration what they were? Especially the ones that wear black masks? They are left wing terrorists.

The actions of these scumbags and what they believe in are not in anyway reflective of 99.9% of republicans or conservatives. I don't know why I have to even write that. But it seems that it needs to be said for the benefit of some people.
The issue isn't whether they're representative of anyone. The issue (for me) is the White House's clear reluctance to condemn their bigotry in unmistakable terms. Compare Donny's response to that of Senator Cruz, Senator Hatch, Senator Gardner, or Senator McCain. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#34 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:18 pm

BackInTex wrote:Neither of us know the motivation, but I believe the guy never planned to do this. It was a spur of the moment action done in frustration against those preventing him and his group from executing their protest.
They were counterdemonstrating, and I have seen no reports anywhere that the counterdemonstrators were in anyway interfering with the white supremecists' exercise of their First Amendment rights. If he was "frustrat[ed]," then I think the conclusion is inescapable that the source of his frustration was the views of the counterdemonstrators, not their actions. And even if it were their actions in daring to counterdemonstrate, as far as I'm concerned it's still terrorism. That's certainly how it would have been portrayed by the White House if the politics had been reversed. --Bob

Bob Juch

#35 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:27 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:White supremacists are the scum of the earth, and if this incident is truly how the media is portraying it, it is to be condemned. The media has, however, by their own actions, made themselves less than credible. Where was the outcry for calling the rioters in Berkeley or the ones in Washington DC the day of trump's inauguration what they were? Especially the ones that wear black masks? They are left wing terrorists.

It has been claimed that the black-masked thugs in Berkeley were false-flag phoneys. I'm not in a position to judge.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Pastor Fireball

#36 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:19 am

A native-born United States citizen (i.e., domestic) drove a car into a crowd of pedestrians in order to hurt them so he could advance his political views. That seems to me a textbook definition of terrorist attack. Unless the driver's skin color is a necessary element. --Bob

The issue isn't whether they're representative of anyone. The issue (for me) is the White House's clear reluctance to condemn their bigotry in unmistakable terms. Compare Donny's response to that of Senator Cruz, Senator Hatch, Senator Gardner, or Senator McCain. --Bob

They were counterdemonstrating, and I have seen no reports anywhere that the counterdemonstrators were in anyway interfering with the white supremecists' exercise of their First Amendment rights. If he was "frustrat[ed]," then I think the conclusion is inescapable that the source of his frustration was the views of the counterdemonstrators, not their actions. And even if it were their actions in daring to counterdemonstrate, as far as I'm concerned it's still terrorism. That's certainly how it would have been portrayed by the White House if the politics had been reversed. --Bob
It is highly hypocritical of you to condemn this domestic terrorist act after you spent the past two months on this very forum enabling bigotry and persecution. Wait, strike that. Not only did you enable it, but you verbally encouraged it. So no, Bob. You, of all people, do not get to complain about hatred by others. You already had your chances for unity and you blew them. At least BiT and Flock have been consistent over the past 15 years on the Boreds in their support of lying racists and in their disrespect toward people who are not like they are.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

silverscreenselect

#37 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:28 am

BackInTex wrote: The guy ran over the people as a result of their actions, that day, against him and his group, not because of who they are or his thoughts or beliefs.

"Who they are" were people whose ideology differed from his own and were protesting it. At one point, he was in the rally, and he left, got into his car, and drove the middle of it. It was only the presence of other cars in front of his that prevented the damage and injury from being much worse.

silverscreenselect

#38 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:30 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:White supremacists are the scum of the earth, and if this incident is truly how the media is portraying it, it is to be condemned. The media has, however, by their own actions, made themselves less than credible.
So, apparently the left wing media faked the video, faked the arrest, and faked the interviews with people who knew this guy's neo-Nazi tendencies from way back. Got it.

BackInTex

#39 Post by BackInTex » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:04 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
BackInTex wrote: The guy ran over the people as a result of their actions, that day, against him and his group, not because of who they are or his thoughts or beliefs.

"Who they are" were people whose ideology differed from his own and were protesting it. At one point, he was in the rally, and he left, got into his car, and drove the middle of it. It was only the presence of other cars in front of his that prevented the damage and injury from being much worse.
Still not terrorism. I agree with the 2nd degree murder charge. Sounds like you do too.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#40 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:04 am

At least BiT and Flock have been consistent over the past 15 years on the Boreds in their support of lying racists and in their disrespect toward people who are not like they are.
Example of left wing hatred. I'm sure there were many of these types in the 'counter-demonstration'. And as much as the media blames trump for not 'specifically' condemning white supremacists, they don't get a pass for helping to create someone like this.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

BackInTex

#41 Post by BackInTex » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:06 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
At least BiT and Flock have been consistent over the past 15 years on the Boreds in their support of lying racists and in their disrespect toward people who are not like they are.
Example of left wing hatred. I'm sure there were many of these types in the 'counter-demonstration'. And as much as the media blames trump for not 'specifically' condemning white supremacists, they don't get a pass for helping to create someone like this.
Nope, just hatred. Someone who hates the world because they are not getting the trophy.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#42 Post by jarnon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:13 am

BackInTex wrote:Still not terrorism. I agree with the 2nd degree murder charge. Sounds like you do too.
Sessions defends Trump's comments on Charlottesville, says car ramming fits definition of domestic terror

Now Sessions fails two of BiT's criteria: he's a politician who's been accused of racism himself in the past, and is eager to take a stand against white supremacy; and he's a prosecutor who wants to throw the book at the killer. OTOH, he has information on the killer's actions, background and motives that BiT doesn't.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#43 Post by BackInTex » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:31 am

jarnon wrote: Now Sessions fails two of BiT's criteria: he's a politician who's been accused of racism himself in the past, and is eager to take a stand against white supremacy; and he's a prosecutor who wants to throw the book at the killer. OTOH, he has information on the killer's actions, background and motives that BiT doesn't.
I'm sure he'll have a press conference with the requisite black man, or woman, standing beside or behind him. You may buy it. I won't.

Did I ever indicate I didn't want to prosecute the guy to the fullest extent of the law? Max sentence and all, I'm in. I'm in even for beyond the max, as I think this should be a capital offense.

But we need to be honest about the crime committed. The everything is terrorism mentality is akin to everyone gets a trophy mentality. Its a bandwagon to make everyone feels good about themselves.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#44 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:48 am

BackInTex wrote: The everything is terrorism mentality is akin to everyone gets a trophy mentality. Its a bandwagon to make everyone feels good about themselves.
Then what is the difference between what this guy did and what the truck driver in France did?

BackInTex

#45 Post by BackInTex » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:56 am

BackInTex wrote: The everything is terrorism mentality is akin to everyone gets a trophy mentality. Its a bandwagon to make everyone feels good about themselves.
Then what is the difference between what this guy did and what the truck driver in France did?
Attacker in Nice plotted for months with 'accomplices,'

As far as we know, this attack was not planned, else the charge would be 1st Degree Murder. It was a crime of opportunity and rage (you can say hate and I won't argue with you, but he did not target non-whites, he targeted anti-protesters).
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#46 Post by BackInTex » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:45 am

silverscreenselect wrote: Well, according to the Patriot Act:
A person engages in domestic terrorism if they do an act ""dangerous to human life"" that is a violation of the criminal laws of a state or the United States, if the act appears to be intended to: (i) intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping. Additionally, the acts have to occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States and if they do not, may be regarded as international terrorism.
Standing in the middle of a freeway is "dangerous to human life"
Standing in the middle of a freeway is a violation of the criminal laws of all states

Most protesters standing in the middle of a freeway are doing so to coerce a civilian population or influence the policy of a government
Most US based protesters standing in the middle of a freeway do so on freeways within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States

4 of 4

Yet I've never seen anyone, including Trump, Cruz, Sessions, SSS, or Bob#s call those protests terrorism. What am I missing?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#47 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:15 am

BackInTex wrote:
Attacker in Nice plotted for months with 'accomplices,'

As far as we know, this attack was not planned, else the charge would be 1st Degree Murder. It was a crime of opportunity and rage (you can say hate and I won't argue with you, but he did not target non-whites, he targeted anti-protesters).
It doesn't need to be premeditated to be an act of terrorism. And the relevant fact (to me) is that he targeted political opponents because of their politics. --Bob

jarnon

#48 Post by jarnon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 am

BackInTex wrote:Did I ever indicate I didn't want to prosecute the guy to the fullest extent of the law? Max sentence and all, I'm in. I'm in even for beyond the max, as I think this should be a capital offense.
If he's convicted of terrorism, they can lock him up in Supermax, which is some ways is worse than any Virginia prison, Guantánamo Bay and even death.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#49 Post by BackInTex » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:23 am

Bob78164 wrote: And the relevant fact (to me) is that he targeted political opponents because of their politics. --Bob
Your definition of fact is way different than mine. It explains a lot.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#50 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:49 am

BackInTex wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote: Well, according to the Patriot Act:
Standing in the middle of a freeway is "dangerous to human life"
Standing in the middle of a freeway is a violation of the criminal laws of all states

Most protesters standing in the middle of a freeway are doing so to coerce a civilian population or influence the policy of a government
Most US based protesters standing in the middle of a freeway do so on freeways within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States

4 of 4

Yet I've never seen anyone, including Trump, Cruz, Sessions, SSS, or Bob#s call those protests terrorism. What am I missing?
You miss the elements of coercion and intimidation.

Coercion: "the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats."
Intimidation: "the action of intimidating someone."
Intimidate: "frighten or overawe (someone), especially in order to make them do what one wants"