Bored Bitter Ale

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Bored Bitter Ale

#1 Post by Spock » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:48 am

Does anybody else think this Brewpub fad is getting a little out of hand? My God, they are everywhere. You would not belive some of the very small towns that are getting them.

Just read an article which said Fort Collins has 21, with 4 more in the works. Really, why would anyone put money in the 23rd Brewpub in Fort Collins?

Shades of Joseph Kennedy getting out of stocks in 1929 when his shoeshine boy gave him stock tips. One local ranch that we visited, has a son that owns a brewpub in New London, Minnesota. They gave samples of a beer there named after the ranch.

I think they made a bad choice in their selection that they served. It was a really dark, bitter beer that is likely an acquired taste. Not many liked it of those there. I know my dad won't be beating down their door to get more beer there.

Bob Juch

Re: Bored Bitter Ale

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:20 am

No, I love it! We have eight here in Tucson. My favorite is Dillinger's Public Enemy Imperial Stout. I get growlers often.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#3 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:31 am

I heard about this happening in some random small southern town.

http://www.scnow.com/news/local/article ... a726f.html

FLORENCE, S.C. – Florence’s blossoming downtown is about to get an extra boost of culture with a new brewery and pub team planning to open shop on North Dargan Street.

City officials say the pub developers probably will start construction within the next month, with progress ramping up after the holidays.

In its Monday meeting, the Florence City Council unanimously approved a $180,000 incentive package for the project.

Florence Mayor Stephen J. Wukela said the brewery and pub will be an investment of about $550,000 in downtown.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Spock

#4 Post by Spock » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:36 am

Bob Juch wrote:No, I love it! We have eight here in Tucson. My favorite is Dillinger's Public Enemy Imperial Stout. I get growlers often.
Would you be willing to invest in the 10th one going in to Tucson? Or the 23rd going in to Fort Collins?

Hey, we should do a Bored investment fund and put one into Gastonia.

triviawayne

#5 Post by triviawayne » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:27 am

Spock wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:No, I love it! We have eight here in Tucson. My favorite is Dillinger's Public Enemy Imperial Stout. I get growlers often.
Would you be willing to invest in the 10th one going in to Tucson? Or the 23rd going in to Fort Collins?

If I had the money and desire to invest, yes to both. Craft beers, of which Brew Pub beers are, are exploding in popularity and there's no sign of slowing. Americans have finally learned what good beer is and the younger generations are shunning all things corporate, so yes, even smaller metro areas can sustain a good number of brewpubs.

Spock

#6 Post by Spock » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:50 am

triviawayne wrote:
Spock wrote:

If I had the money and desire to invest, yes to both. Craft beers, of which Brew Pub beers are, are exploding in popularity and there's no sign of slowing. Americans have finally learned what good beer is and the younger generations are shunning all things corporate, so yes, even smaller metro areas can sustain a good number of brewpubs.
I just keep thinking of the waterpark fad that was way overdone 15 years ago or so.

My 14 YO (Littlest Spock) appreciates fine food and drink and he is trying to learn about different beers. On the Black Hills trip, I would order different beers (usually craft) and let him taste them. We decided that we don't like bitter beer, but we haven't figured out what we like yet.

Personally, my favorite beer is Corona, so I prefer beer along that line.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:46 am

Spock wrote:

I'd invest only if I had a say in what beers were to be made.

Gastonia already has the Cavendish Brewing Company. Ashville has what's supposedly the highest concentration of microbreweries.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bitter Beer Face
Merry Man

#8 Post by Bitter Beer Face » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:04 pm

Spock wrote:I think they made a bad choice in their selection that they served. It was a really dark, bitter beer that is likely an acquired taste. Not many liked it of those there. I know my dad won't be beating down their door to get more beer there.

Neither will I. Blech!

triviawayne

#9 Post by triviawayne » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:48 pm

Spock wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Spock wrote:

I just keep thinking of the waterpark fad that was way overdone 15 years ago or so.

My 14 YO (Littlest Spock) appreciates fine food and drink and he is trying to learn about different beers. On the Black Hills trip, I would order different beers (usually craft) and let him taste them. We decided that we don't like bitter beer, but we haven't figured out what we like yet.

Never cared for that stuff myself, but that would be a pale lager, so you can mention pale lagers to the server when you go to these places.

I tend to go for the non-bitter myself, and find I like a more malty taste than a hoppy taste. Dark brews tend to be my favorites, porters, bocks and stouts.

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:03 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Spock wrote:
triviawayne wrote:

Never cared for that stuff myself, but that would be a pale lager, so you can mention pale lagers to the server when you go to these places.

I tend to go for the non-bitter myself and find I like a more malty taste than a hoppy taste. Dark brews tend to be my favorites, porters, bocks, and stouts.
You'd like Public Enemy.

mellytu74

#11 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:16 pm

for my birthday tonight, we are going to the Conshohocken Brewery's brewpub in Bridgeport, PA (right next to Norristown on the way home from work).

They have fine food and a fine craft beer menu, as well as some mixed drinks featuring locally distilled gin and vodka.

We have quite a few small local breweries in the Philadelphia area/Delaware Valley and most of them have their product on local store shelves (or in tappies of good repute), so we are able to try them.

triviawayne

#12 Post by triviawayne » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:34 am

mellytu74 wrote:for my birthday tonight, we are going to the Conshohocken Brewery's brewpub in Bridgeport, PA (right next to Norristown on the way home from work).

They have fine food and a fine craft beer menu, as well as some mixed drinks featuring locally distilled gin and vodka.

We have quite a few small local breweries in the Philadelphia area/Delaware Valley and most of them have their product on local store shelves (or in tappies of good repute), so we are able to try them.
If you find yourself in the Lehigh Valley sometime, come out to my trivia night.

triviawayne

#13 Post by triviawayne » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:35 am

Bob Juch wrote:
triviawayne wrote:
Spock wrote:

I tend to go for the non-bitter myself and find I like a more malty taste than a hoppy taste. Dark brews tend to be my favorites, porters, bocks, and stouts.
You'd like Public Enemy.
I do, especially the stuff with Anthrax