So. Since my book rec post question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

So. Since my book rec post question

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Never got answered and the thread got hijacked by a larval wart-hidden "soul patch" leech, I shall ask again. Anyone heard of Nicci French? Or, what is your current engrossing author?

Or, interior decorator, or grandbabe potty training technique?
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: So. Since my book rec post question

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Never got answered and the thread got hijacked by a larval wart-hidden "soul patch" leech, I shall ask again. Anyone heard of Nicci French? Or, what is your current engrossing author?

I've never heard of Nicci French, but I've been really enjoying the "Laundry Files" novels by Charles Stross. I have the two most recent on my bookshelf, waiting to reach the top of my to-be-read list.

For those with more classic tastes, I can't recommend highly enough the Travis McGee books by the late, lamented John D. MacDonald. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Never got answered and the thread got hijacked by a larval wart-hidden "soul patch" leech, I shall ask again. Anyone heard of Nicci French? Or, what is your current engrossing author?

I've never heard of Nicci French, but I've been really enjoying the "Laundry Files" novels by Charles Stross. I have the two most recent on my bookshelf, waiting to reach the top of my to-be-read list.

For those with more classic tastes, I can't recommend highly enough the Travis McGee books by the late, lamented John D. MacDonald. --Bob
He is awesome. Think I read just about all of his way back, but a reread would be great.
Well, then

Billy Bored Thornton
Merry Man

#4 Post by Billy Bored Thornton » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:41 pm

If I'm reading this right you'd like to practice some "French" with ol' Billy Bored...

then do my laundry.

The front door is open.

Sweetie.
What the f$%$ck are you looking at?

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:37 pm

I have been almost all nonfiction the past several years so I have nothing.

Roomie is all into what they call cozy mysteries, in which the murder is not gross, everybody knows everybody, and if a cat solves the mystery, so much the better.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:28 am

Billy Bored Thornton wrote:If I'm reading this right you'd like to practice some "French" with ol' Billy Bored...

then do my laundry.

The front door is open.

Sweetie.
For a functional illiterate you have remarkable self esteem.
Well, then

mellytu74

#7 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:48 am

I am in Skoop's camp, I have been reading a ton on nonfiction lately.

I did read an interesting book on Queen Victoria and one on Cleopatra. Springsteen autobiography. And the first part of the two-part Barbara Stanwyck bio.

Tom Brokow's Boom and Greatest Generation. A collection of stories from the pages of Vanity Fair.

We are spending a week in Wildwood in August. I AM going to read Mary McCarthy's The Group.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:01 am

mellytu74 wrote:I am in Skoop's camp, I have been reading a ton on nonfiction lately.

I did read an interesting book on Queen Victoria and one on Cleopatra. Springsteen autobiography. And the first part of the two-part Barbara Stanwyck bio.

Tom Brokow's Boom and Greatest Generation. A collection of stories from the pages of Vanity Fair.

We are spending a week in Wildwood in August. I AM going to read Mary McCarthy's The Group.
I need to throw some nonfiction into the mix. Read The Group way back, but can't remember if it was before or after the movie.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:03 am

Ritterskoop wrote:I have been almost all nonfiction the past several years so I have nothing.

Roomie is all into what they call cozy mysteries, in which the murder is not gross, everybody knows everybody, and if a cat solves the mystery, so much the better.
Cozy mystery. I like that. Louise Penny's may qualify as that, tho they are sometimes brutal.
Well, then

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#10 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:37 am

The last actual book I read was The Magic Strings Of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom, which I enjoyed, but since the story is narrated by the "spirit of music", well... yeah. The fact that I liked it would be under the category of "Greatest Non-Surprises of the 21st Century".

Reading recommendations for you? Ummm...my current, ongoing reading list consists of the daily newspaper, Entertainment Weekly, and my comic book collection.

Clearly I am not the droid you're looking for :oops: :oops: :oops:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:47 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:The last actual book I read was The Magic Strings Of Frankie Presto by Mitch Albom, which I enjoyed, but since the story is narrated by the "spirit of music", well... yeah. The fact that I liked it would be under the category of "Greatest Non-Surprises of the 21st Century".

Reading recommendations for you? Ummm...my current, ongoing reading list consists of the daily newspaper, Entertainment Weekly, and my comic book collection.

Clearly I am not the droid you're looking for :oops: :oops: :oops:
I liked The Magic Strings!
Well, then

Spock

#12 Post by Spock » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:48 am

Current very light reading-"The Lawdog Files"-Misadventures of a rural Texas lawman. He has another book coming out soon about his growing up in Africa.

I think you might like some of Alexandra Fuller's books. I suggest:
1) "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight". Her book on growing up during the Rhodesian War and her childhood as a white African.

2) "Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness"-The story of her parents and their fierce love for the African land-This short book is one of my absolute favorites. Top 5 of all-time.

Her mother, the central character of both books, is just totally alive.(I can't think of a better way to describe her).

Non-fiction
"38 Nooses" just popped into my mind. About the Minnesota Massacre and the aftermath with 38 Indians hanged in the largest mass execution in US history.

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:15 pm

A combination of book and movie I'm going to be revisiting since I heard about John Heard's death (no pun intended there). His best starring role, Cutter's Way is available on TubiTV, which is like Crackle with a couple of commercials every ten minutes or so, but it's got some hard to find older titles that no one else has. I'll be checking that out this weekend, and I have the novel it's based on Newton Thornburg's Cutter and Bone, which I'll read after I clear a couple of my pending review requests out of the way.

My 30-year-old memories of both book and film are very good, so I'm hoping they will hold up well on revisiting.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:45 pm

All recs are greatly appreciated. My list is growing.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:11 pm

I'm biased because the author is my best friend and I was the copy editor of her first two books (and should have been for her third; the one she paid did a poor job).

https://www.amazon.com/Jasmine-Steele-M ... 30479d0fb9
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#16 Post by Vandal » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:25 pm

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Vandal wrote:Image

There's a remarkable symbiosis between the last two titles on your list.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#18 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:31 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Vandal wrote:Image

There's a remarkable symbiosis between the last two titles on your list.
While the illustrations are colorful they seem to be anatomically incorrect.
Well, then

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#19 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:09 am

Vandal wrote: Image

So Dick went for a bike ride wearing only a helmet (Not THAT kind!) and shoes. No wonder Sgt. Schultz looks so shocked...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com