T-Mobile, the effers

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

T-Mobile, the effers

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:42 pm

So I finally went to the store & told them I'd been getting 2G service everywhere but Amherst for over a month. Manager spent a lot of time w/ their phone-in experts & couldn't fix it. Said it was because of their recent system upgrades. Said other customers had it worse; they saw an "e" & got *no* service. Only cure for their prob & mine is new tablet. They would give me a $50.00 discount.

Of course, this being T-Mobile, the price they quoted me, & that gullible reviews cite as the real price, was $40.00 lower than what they charged because I'm not a contract customer.

They spent hours, w/ difficulty, getting all my stuff transferred. I was worried about not having opted for a new tablet w/ much better sound & camera, & what I should have worried about was weird data transfers & missing functions. I had figured there would be much less of that if I stayed in the Alcatel family. Ha.

Even though this is next-gen Alcatel, it is radically off. And it got good reviews.

The browser I had to import for this group (it was standard on the old Alcatel Onetouch Pop 7 tablet) doesn't update itself, for instance. On the old tab it was dedicated to this group. Now that won't work.

And the stuff previous tablet automatically downloaded is here but mostly missing it's titles.
Last edited by ghostjmf on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

Re: T-Mobile, the effers

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:23 am

Most distressing thing is the very loud "turn on" T-Mobile jingle. No, muting sound before you shut down tablet doesn't stop it. Lots of people have this problem, it turns out, with many recent brands of phones & tablets. There is downloadable "sound block" software, but it didn't work for me.

If your device is rooted you can follow some tech instructions to kill the startup sound, but my tablet is not rooted (there's software to check that). There is also software to root your device, but all comes w/ a warning that you're voiding warranty & could turn device into expensive paperweight.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:21 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Most distressing thing is the very loud "turn on" T-Mobile jingle. No, muting sound before you shut down tablet doesn't stop it. Lots of people have this problem, it turns out, with many recent brands of phones & tablets. There is downloadable "sound block" software, but it didn't work for me.

If your device is rooted you can follow some tech instructions to kill the startup sound, but my tablet is not rooted (there's software to check that). There is also software to root your device, but all comes w/ a warning that you're voiding warranty & could turn the device into an expensive paperweight.
Plug in headphones first.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#4 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Plugging in headphones does not work. It does when you're listening to music; blocking the speaker, that is. Volume controls on speaker also have absolutely no effect on start-up blast. Hand over the speaker doesn't do much; I wish it would play some of my trad-archive sites, like Tobar an Dualchais, that loud. Maybe carrying a big pillow everywhere?

Believe me, they've got this carefully engineered.

Not just T -Mobile; threads I'm reading for help have complaints from recent tablet & phone buyers on all major plans.

Of course, one "solution" is that you just leave your device on whenever you go places where they've expressly told you to turn it off. Or you want it off out of your own politeness. And hope all those other noises it likes to make, which you supposedly *do* have control over, are off as you'd set them.

This runs your battery down, of course.

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:20 pm

In a way I wish I *had* hunted up a Nexus 6, but who knows if it would be compatible with the T-Mobile signal upgrade which plunged me into this foray.

T-Mobile no longer carries Nexi. They only carry stuff that their SIM cards work with; Nexi used to.

They were talking up Samsungs & poo-pooing those fires.

I would take something from the I-Universe if someone gave it to me, but it would have to be one that still takes plug-in headphones, the over your head like earmuffs, not in-your-ear kind. I looked it up, & their Bluetooth crap is all "stick it in your ear" stuff. They may have one that hangs *on* your ear; hard to tell.

ghostjmf

#6 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:51 pm

It's called Android Boot Sound, if you're looking it up. Just Boot Sound if not on Android device.

Billy Bored Thornton
Merry Man

#7 Post by Billy Bored Thornton » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:09 pm

What the fuck's an effer?
What the f$%$ck are you looking at?

Simon Coward
Merry Man

#8 Post by Simon Coward » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:11 pm

Billy Bored Thornton wrote:What the fuck's an effer?

It's a Cockney cow, you unsophisticated hooligan.
I find you people utterly boring!

ItsAMadMadMadMadCow
Merry Man

#9 Post by ItsAMadMadMadMadCow » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Simon Coward wrote:
Billy Bored Thornton wrote:What the fuck's an effer?

It's a Cockney cow, you unsophisticated hooligan.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!