The Anti-Deficiency Act

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

The Anti-Deficiency Act

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:04 pm

I've sometimes wondered why Administrations that were at odds with Congress regarding appropriations didn't try to work around the limitations by getting someone to volunteer to do the work for free (or, more likely, paid by a political ally).

Now I know. 31 U.S.C. § 1342. This Act prevents federal employees from accepting volunteer services that aren't authorized by Congress (except in cases of imminent danger to life and limb). --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

Re: The Anti-Deficiency Act

#2 Post by earendel » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I've sometimes wondered why Administrations that were at odds with Congress regarding appropriations didn't try to work around the limitations by getting someone to volunteer to do the work for free (or, more likely, paid by a political ally).

Now I know. 31 U.S.C. § 1342. This Act prevents federal employees from accepting volunteer services that aren't authorized by Congress (except in cases of imminent danger to life and limb). --Bob
I could have told you that. I just completed a 2-hour fiscal law refresher course and that's one of the modules.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Appa23

#3 Post by Appa23 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:44 pm

earendel wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I've sometimes wondered why Administrations that were at odds with Congress regarding appropriations didn't try to work around the limitations by getting someone to volunteer to do the work for free (or, more likely, paid by a political ally).

I could have told you that. I just completed a 2-hour fiscal law refresher course and that's one of the modules.
Now, let's discuss the difference between voluntary and gratuitous services.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:50 pm

Appa23 wrote:
earendel wrote:

Now, let's discuss the difference between voluntary and gratuitous services.
You have successfully piqued my curiosity. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson