Full Frontal Coast to Coast Tour

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

Re: Full Frontal Coast to Coast Tour

#76 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:10 am

The Preclipse was the place to be!

Today is just cleaning up the details.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#77 Post by Vandal » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
ghostjmf wrote:Leave early, those who are driving.

Lots of people who are clouded out, as we were at the last minute at the Goldendale WA observatory in '79, are going to be disappointed.

But you don't wanna be stuck in traffic & never get to the band of totality in the 1st place.

Those of us in Goldendale who saw clouds should have hopped into cars & driven away from them, but most at the observatory had fixed telescopes & I didn't even have a car.

I was almost on a plane to SC today & a train, which takes almost 24 hr w/ stops, back. But I'm not, dammit.

Maybe I'll still be alive in 2024. Sure hope so!

Maybe I'll get a plane res in time for the one in a year which hits countries where I can't speak the language.
The 2024 eclipse will be total over Buffalo, Rochester, and Burlington.
What they'll see in Buffalo:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#78 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:10 pm

When life deals you lemons...... make lemonade!

Spoiler

Morning started off mostly cloudy, then almost crystal clear up until noon, then the clouds started rolling in steadily about half an hour before maximum. The second half looked like it was mostly gonna be a washout, so I went back inside. I loved hearing the locusts rattling off at 1 in the afternoon...

Maybe in 7 years I go east to see the whole thing....... maybe. The clouds would probably follow anyway...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Spock

#79 Post by Spock » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:34 pm

LB>> I loved hearing the locusts rattling off at 1 in the afternoon...<<<

Weid thing happened yesterday (the day before the eclipse). The Spocklette and I were picking the biggest, bestest wild plums ever. We found these trees 3 years ago and they are the biggest, bestest wild plums ever.

Anyway, it was about 1PM and the frickin coyotes were going nuts, I have never heard them in the daytime like that.

ghostjmf

#80 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:39 pm

lb: Those are good, & dramatic pics for someone who says they didn't give a hoot. If you'd stayed for totality they'd be even better pics. Though it's true you had too many clouds to see the corona or any solar flares.

My '79 Goldendale experience was just one damn cloud.

hope you didn't burn out your camera.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#81 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:55 pm

We saw totality from Lime, Oregon, and it was awesome. Since my last total solar eclipse was 38 years ago, I'd forgotten just how dark it gets during totality. We were able to see both Venus and Jupiter, and Sparky now has a new background picture for his phone. A little traffic getting back but we made our flight comfortably. All in all, a great trip.

The 2024 eclipse should be easier to plan simply because it passes through so many major cities. I just have to balance sightseeing interest with weather likelihood. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#82 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:06 pm

ghostjmf wrote:lb: Those are good, & dramatic pics for someone who says they didn't give a hoot. If you'd stayed for totality they'd be even better pics. Though it's true you had too many clouds to see the corona or any solar flares.

My '79 Goldendale experience was just one damn cloud.

hope you didn't burn out your camera.

The only thing I didn't give a hoot about was driving to see totality (That direction is actually where all the clouds were coming from anyway). The view from my backyard was good enough. I'd swear I got jipted out of a couple percentage points of my 99.5% coverage, but it was impossible to tell since the clouds were worst at the moment of maximum eclipse. The clouds did add to the darkness.... dimmer than twilight, which was what I expected.

I think the camera will be fine, but both of the ones I own are junk. I figured if I blew one out, it'd give me the perfect excuse to finally buy a new one...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#83 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Bob78164 wrote:The 2024 eclipse should be easier to plan simply because it passes through so many major cities. I just have to balance sightseeing interest with weather likelihood. --Bob

April weather is wildly unpredictable east of the Divide. Snow, tornadoes, nonstop dreary showers... and if there's enough time left in the day, maybe some sunshine as well.

lb13

Bob Juch

#84 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:32 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:When life deals you lemons...... make lemonade!

Spoiler

Morning started off mostly cloudy, then almost crystal clear up until noon, then the clouds started rolling in steadily about half an hour before maximum. The second half looked like it was mostly gonna be a washout, so I went back inside. I loved hearing the locusts rattling off at 1 in the afternoon...

Maybe in 7 years I go east to see the whole thing....... maybe. The clouds would probably follow anyway...

lb13
There are no locusts in North America. The Rocky Mountain locust became extinct in 1902.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mrkelley23

#85 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:43 pm

Cicadas have been colloquially called locusts around these parts since before you were born, at least. Yes, they're entirely different critters, but there is some reasoning behind the confusion.

And friends, Evansville, IN is one of the cities in the 2024 totality tour. So friends, if I'm still around, and still living in Eville, come on down!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

TheWorld'sMostInterestingMan
Merry Man

#86 Post by TheWorld'sMostInterestingMan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:44 am

This was my fifteenth time viewing a total eclipse.....

This year....
Stay thirsty, my friend!

SolarEclipse
Merry Man

#87 Post by SolarEclipse » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:09 am

TheWorld'sMostInterestingMan wrote:This was my fifteenth time viewing a total eclipse.....

This year....
Then you should buy an annular pass and get the member discount.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#88 Post by Vandal » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:51 am

On Twitter, yesterday:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

earendel

#89 Post by earendel » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:30 am

elwing and I hit the road early yesterday to drive to Tennessee to see the eclipse. We decided against Hodgenville because of all the hype it had received. Traffic wasn't as bad as I expected, although it did take us almost 4 hours to drive the 150 miles to White House, TN. We were able to observe the total eclipse for about 2.5 minutes and it was spectacular. Unfortunately neither of our smartphones could get any decent pictures, so all we have are the memories (and the eclipse glasses, which we're saving for 2024).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#90 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:00 am

Driving up to Dillard, GA, wasn't too bad. It's normally a two-hour drive, interstate and four-lane bypass highway and it wound up taking three. The only time traffic got heavy was at the handful of stop lights along the way, when it would back up a half mile or so. Much of the rest of the time it was practically weekend traffic with only a handful of cars.

We parked at a place called the Dillard House, which is a lodge/restaurant/craft area that had a lot of parking and restroom facilities (paid $10). Some places wanted as much as $50 a car by the side of the road. There were also places we might have parked for free or $5, but I didn't want to stop anywhere without restroom facilities.

Totality was at 2:35 where we were, but around 2:15 some heavy clouds rolled over. A couple of cars actually left early but then about 2-3 minutes before totality, there was a gap in the clouds that lasted nearly 10 minutes, so we had a great view of the actual totality, corona and all.

Unfortunately, by the time we left (actually before a lot of people at 3:00 or so), traffic headed south was a nightmare (I later heard a 15 mile backup). They had actually blocked the side street we were on so we couldn't turn south when we got to the main highway (an hour delay right there), so I decided we would go for a ride in the mountains for a bit and go around the block. Bad mistake. It wound up taking us almost eight hours. The big problem was that I-85 was stop and go from the South Carolina border some 60 miles to where it expanded from four to six lanes. The spot where it expands is also where I-985 fed eclipse traffic, and the road is under construction, so it's a very narrow two southbound lanes for about five mile right before that, so traffic backed up and stayed backed up for hours.

Unless the next eclipse proves to be a bit more accommodating and agrees to a side trip our way, I think we'll pass.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

SolarEclipse
Merry Man

#91 Post by SolarEclipse » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:40 am

silverscreenselect wrote: Unless the next eclipse proves to be a bit more accommodating and agrees to a side trip our way, I think we'll pass.
Bye Felicia!

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#92 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:03 am

Where did Chicken Little watch the eclipse? I would have expected to hear from him by now.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#93 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:46 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Unless the next eclipse proves to be a bit more accommodating and agrees to a side trip our way, I think we'll pass.
There are a number of major cities squarely within the totality path of the 2024 eclipse. I'm hopeful that the ability of a whole bunch of people to see it without leaving their homes (or hotel rooms), and a whole bunch of other people to see it while staying with relatives, will alleviate the worst of the traffic. I had no traffic at all getting to my viewing site, and only minor traffic during the 85-mile trip back to Boise. I made my return flight comfortably.

I'm glad the clouds parted in time for you to see totality. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#94 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:16 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Unless the next eclipse proves to be a bit more accommodating and agrees to a side trip our way, I think we'll pass.
There are a number of major cities squarely within the totality path of the 2024 eclipse. I'm hopeful that the ability of a whole bunch of people to see it without leaving their homes (or hotel rooms), and a whole bunch of other people to see it while staying with relatives, will alleviate the worst of the traffic. I had no traffic at all getting to my viewing site, and only minor traffic during the 85-mile trip back to Boise. I made my return flight comfortably.

Is there a reason you picked Boise instead of Idaho Falls for your "staging area"?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

AlphaDummy
Mr. Top Ten

#95 Post by AlphaDummy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:44 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:Cicadas have been colloquially called locusts around these parts since before you were born, at least. Yes, they're entirely different critters, but there is some reasoning behind the confusion.

And friends, Evansville, IN is one of the cities in the 2024 totality tour. So friends, if I'm still around, and still living in Eville, come on down!
I may just take you up on this...
"Again" - Herb Brooks (as played by Kurt Russell)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#96 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:11 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Is there a reason you picked Boise instead of Idaho Falls for your "staging area"?
Easier plane access, as well as being able to move both directions along the path of totality as weather might demand. --Bob

BackInTex

#97 Post by BackInTex » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:56 pm

We had a nice trip up (4 1/2 hours) of which the last 42 miles were a dirt/gravel road. The return trip saw quite a bit of traffic from Casper that added 2 hours to our return trip.

We found a great spot about 1/3 the way up the trail to the top of Twin Peaks. We got setup about 20 minutes before first contact. The weather was beautiful and we were pretty much alone. About 20 people came down from above us afterwards but we were off the trail about 20 yards and sitting about 50 feet up on a rocky outcrop.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#98 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:11 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Spoiler

Shoulda left the filter on for that one.....

lb13

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#99 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:22 pm

SolarEclipse wrote:Looking forward to y'all coming to see me on my 2017 Tour.

This year is very special. I've arrange for a full coast-to-coast tour, allowing my many fans the opportunity to see me in my full glory.

While most venues are sold out (have you tried to book a hotel room in one of my tour cities? You can't.) there are still many standing room only seats. And for those too cheap (or too busy) to come see the full show, most of you will get to see a pretty good sideshow from your own city.

I'm working with members of the, well I can't tell you because they are secretive about their powers, let's just call them "this group". Anyway, I'm working with this group to make sure the sky is clear on my entire route. They promise to make it rain in some areas the day before, to eliminate the atmospheric moisture that would tend to block my glory during my performance.

I hope to see you at the show! I know Cal will be there as I have a performance in his town. I'll also be in LB's town, but my performance is probably during his normal sleep time. I do hope he wakes up to watch. Holtdad will get good seats as well as I'm playing the full show in Lincoln. I'm a little disappointed with that Wellman chick as I planned 20 billion years to perform in Rigby, then she ups and moves to Alaska. I never go there.

For a complete list of venues and showtimes you can go here. You can also see the fabulous work my choreography team did. They prepared hundreds of animated shorts to help me get it right. Here is the animation for my side show in Gastonia. The WGAS crowd will be giving a s**t as I perform 98% of my show for them.

Oh, I almost forgot. To ensure my concession folks have enough trinkets and stuff on hand, could you please let me know if and where you will be watching my show? Supplies are limited but I want to make sure my Bored Buddies get the opportunity to buy some of my cheap crap.

I'm really sorry I couldn't book the great state of Texas on this tour, but I have managed two shows there in back to back years. One in 2023 and one in 2024. The 2023 show is a little ribald so you might want to cover your kids eyes as I'll be showing my anu..annular. I won't be fully covered as my friend the moon will be warming up for our 2024 Full Frontal show in Texas. BTW, TheConfessor has front row seats, though off to the side, for our 2024 show. I hope he comes and doesn't choose to scalp his tickets.
I guess I didn't let you know soon enough -- by the time we got over to the vendor area at Glendo, Wyoming, all the souvenirs were SOLD OUT. No coffee, either. There was plenty of ice and a few barbecue sandwiches.

More later as I recover from a horrific trip home. EIGHT HOURS from Glendo to Denver. I'm glad I didn't have to drive all the way home from Denver yesterday but still recovering today. (Yawn.)
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#100 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:08 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
SolarEclipse wrote:I'm working with members of the, well I can't tell you because they are secretive about their powers, let's just call them "this group". Anyway, I'm working with this group to make sure the sky is clear on my entire route. They promise to make it rain in some areas the day before, to eliminate the atmospheric moisture that would tend to block my glory during my performance.

I do hope you will be issuing rain checks. Wednesday and Thursday look beautiful, so I'll take my makeup show on one of those days please. Thanks!

lb13

Yep. Picture postcard perfect Chamber of Commerce weather more typical of late September than August today. You just couldn't wait another couple days, could you.....?

lb13