Full Frontal Coast to Coast Tour

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: Full Frontal Coast to Coast Tour

#51 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:39 am

Bob78164 wrote:It looks like ABC will indeed fulfill a 38-year-old promise.

--Bob

I only watched bits and pieces of it, but the anchorman mentioned at least twice that it was the last total eclipse over North America/the continent in the 20th century. Since when is Mexico not a part of North America?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

silverscreenselect

#52 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:16 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

--Bob

I only watched bits and pieces of it, but the anchorman mentioned at least twice that it was the last total eclipse over North America/the continent in the 20th century. Since when is Mexico not a part of North America?

lb13
Since Donald Trump became President.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mrkelley23

#53 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:25 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

--Bob

lb13
Good question. I think of Mexico as part of Central America, and have to remind myself that it's actually part of the North American continent. Since it didn't stand out to me until you pointed it out, I did a little research. Turns out some UN agencies use North, Central, and South America for statistical research. I couldn't find when this scheme came into existence, but it wouldn't surprise me if it started around the time of this report, which would have been just as I was entering my college years.

On the other hand, it could just be good old Amurrican centrism.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Admiral Stockdale
Merry Man

#54 Post by Admiral Stockdale » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:20 am

#NAFTA
Who am I?!?!?!?!? Why am I here!?!?!?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#55 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:27 pm

Safely arrived in Idaho, making this the 42nd state to enjoy (or endure) my physical presence. The wait staff at the local Applebee's all are wearing eclipse T-shirts. I'm hoping traffic predictions are being exaggerated, at least a bit, but I'm consoled by knowing that I don't need to get very far to get within the path of totality so I should be fine even if I don't reach my ultimate destination. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#56 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:43 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Safely arrived in Idaho, making this the 42nd state to enjoy (or endure) my physical presence. The wait staff at the local Applebee's all are wearing eclipse T-shirts. I'm hoping traffic predictions are being exaggerated, at least a bit, but I'm consoled by knowing that I don't need to get very far to get within the path of totality so I should be fine even if I don't reach my ultimate destination. --Bob
There are much better places than Applebee's to eat in Boise.

Be aware that Lime is on Pacific Time and Boise is on Mountain Time.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Spock

#57 Post by Spock » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:57 pm

I bought a cattle chute that is at a location in northern Iowa, about 4 hours closer to the eclipse than here. I was thinking about getting it on Monday, forgetting the eclipse.

It gets me pretty close to Omaha, me and the Spocklette might just head a little farther south and get closer after I load.

Mrs S and the Spocklette had been thinking about going to Omaha for it. Mrs S might come also.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#58 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Safely arrived in Idaho, making this the 42nd state to enjoy (or endure) my physical presence. The wait staff at the local Applebee's all are wearing eclipse T-shirts. I'm hoping traffic predictions are being exaggerated, at least a bit, but I'm consoled by knowing that I don't need to get very far to get within the path of totality so I should be fine even if I don't reach my ultimate destination. --Bob

I imagine so, but Applebee's had the inestimable benefit of being within walking distance of my hotel. And if you've been following Bob's Log you might have inferred that walking distance has a shorter radius than it used to. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#59 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:54 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

I imagine so, but Applebee's had the inestimable benefit of being within walking distance of my hotel. And if you've been following Bob's Log you might have inferred that walking distance has a shorter radius than it used to. --Bob
Because you have a longer radius?

I used to work one block down Elder from there. I hope you're at the Holiday Inn, not the Super 8.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#60 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: There are much better places than Applebee's to eat in Boise.

I used to work one block down Elder from there. I hope you're at the Holiday Inn, not the Super 8.
Hampton Inn. Didn't you once recount knowing an Applebee's waitress who won the lottery? Is that the one? --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#61 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Sparky and I just got back from a dry run of the trip to and from my preferred viewing site. I now have some back-up plans and a sense of how far I need to make it to get a decent duration of totality. I also know that I won't be able to count on my iPad having enough juice available for the round trip. I think it would take hours of Los Angeles-style traffic along the Interstate (or unexpected bad weather) to throw a monkey wrench into our plans. Now I just need to get enough rest for an early start to my Monday. --Bob

Bob Juch

#62 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I imagine so, but Applebee's had the inestimable benefit of being within walking distance of my hotel. And if you've been following Bob's Log you might have inferred that walking distance has a shorter radius than it used to. --Bob

Hampton Inn. Didn't you once recount knowing an Applebee's waitress who won the lottery? Is that the one? --Bob
No, at the time that happened she was working downtown at two different places. She won $87 million IIRC. Applebee's was a vacant lot as was where the Holiday Inn is. The HI was actually across the street and apparently torn down to build two other hotels. My NTN team kicked butt at the original.

ghostjmf

#63 Post by ghostjmf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:43 am

Leave early, those who are driving.

Lots of people who are clouded out, as we were at the last minute at the Goldendale WA observatory in '79, are going to be disappointed.

But you don't wanna be stuck in traffic & never get to the band of totality in the 1st place.

Those of us in Goldendale who saw clouds should have hopped into cars & driven away from them, but most at the observatory had fixed telescopes & I didn't even have a car.

I was almost on a plane to SC today & a train, which takes almost 24 hr w/ stops, back. But I'm not, dammit.

Maybe I'll still be alive in 2024. Sure hope so!

Maybe I'll get a plane res in time for the one in a year which hits countries where I can't speak the language.

BackInTex

#64 Post by BackInTex » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Good luck to all the watchers tomorrow. Hopefully the mostly cloudy areas will have that partly sunny part where the sun is.

I will be leaving Westminster, CO between 3AM and 4AM headed to Twin Peaks in the Medicine Bow National Forest (about a 4 1/2 hour drive to the trailhead). I bought 2 5-gallon gas cans to fill and carry on top of my daughter's jeep. That should give us a 50-60 mile cushion for the round trip. We will top off if gas is available in Laramie which will give us just enough without the extra allowing us to help any stranded folks. I don't know if ther will be gas shortages there but the media hype makes one think there might be.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#65 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:48 pm

SolarEclipse wrote:I'm working with members of the, well I can't tell you because they are secretive about their powers, let's just call them "this group". Anyway, I'm working with this group to make sure the sky is clear on my entire route. They promise to make it rain in some areas the day before, to eliminate the atmospheric moisture that would tend to block my glory during my performance.

I do hope you will be issuing rain checks. Wednesday and Thursday look beautiful, so I'll take my makeup show on one of those days please. Thanks!

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Bob Juch

#66 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Estonut
Evil Genius

#67 Post by Estonut » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:15 am

Uhhh, Jim, this event was predicted well before Obama was even born in Kenya...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#68 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:16 am

According to Google Maps, traffic looks promising. Out the door in an hour or so. May the skies be clear for all of us. --Bob

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#69 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:21 am

Estonut wrote:
Uhhh, Jim, this event was predicted well before Obama was even born in Kenya...
Only a crackpot would consider an eclipse to be a punishment. What is this, the 5th Century?

Punishment is mostly cloudy skies on the eclipse day. The sun in there, and it's kinda shining through, but that's it.....

lb13

jarnon

#70 Post by jarnon » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:37 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Only a crackpot would consider an eclipse to be a punishment. What is this, the 5th Century?
The rabbis who wrote the Talmud in the 3rd century thought an eclipse was a bad omen. They lived in Mesopotamia, the birthplace of astrology. They also coined the saying "mazal tov," which literally means "a good constellation." Rashi, in comparatively modern 11th century France, thought that was hogwash. Still, Jews don't say a blessing for an eclipse, though they have one for everything else.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

TheConfessor

#71 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:08 am

I'll be eclipsing in Niota, Tennessee, at the childhood home of one of the all time great Bored members. Y'all have fun!

Vandal
Director of Promos

#72 Post by Vandal » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:59 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob Juch

#73 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:36 am

ghostjmf wrote:Leave early, those who are driving.

Lots of people who are clouded out, as we were at the last minute at the Goldendale WA observatory in '79, are going to be disappointed.

But you don't wanna be stuck in traffic & never get to the band of totality in the 1st place.

Those of us in Goldendale who saw clouds should have hopped into cars & driven away from them, but most at the observatory had fixed telescopes & I didn't even have a car.

I was almost on a plane to SC today & a train, which takes almost 24 hr w/ stops, back. But I'm not, dammit.

Maybe I'll still be alive in 2024. Sure hope so!

Maybe I'll get a plane res in time for the one in a year which hits countries where I can't speak the language.
The 2024 eclipse will be total over Buffalo, Rochester, and Burlington.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#74 Post by Vandal » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:52 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#75 Post by Vandal » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:58 am

So far it's:

but anything can happen.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man