Why can't I respond to posts

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ghostjmf

Why can't I respond to posts

#1 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:48 pm

I've got a new tablet, not new e-mail address.

ghostjmf

Re: Why can't I respond to posts

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:50 pm

And I can apparently respond to my *own* posts. Just not the eclipse thread, specifically.

Please fix, fixers.

ghostjmf

#3 Post by ghostjmf » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:52 pm

I got bounced out this reply too; made to log in again.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:41 am

ghostjmf wrote:I got bounced out this reply too; made to log in again.
When you logged in with your new tablet, did you click the "automatically sign me in next time" box?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:55 am

Estonut:

I never did that with my old tablet. I did not do that w/ this (Alcatel A30).

I don't keep myself automatically on any site. Some drain data points. Probably not this one (Facebook certainly does. This one will when people post video clips or animation.)

Its the eclipse thread I keep getting knocked out of, for some reason.

I write a paragraph or two, then when I go to submit it am met w/ login screen.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:00 am

ghostjmf wrote:Estonut:

I never did that with my old tablet. I did not do that w/ this (Alcatel A30).

I don't keep myself automatically on any site. Some drain data points. Probably not this one (Facebook certainly does. This one will when people post video clips or animation.)

Its the eclipse thread I keep getting knocked out of, for some reason.

I write a paragraph or two, then when I go to submit it am met w/ login screen.
"Automatically sign me in next time I visit" and "Keep me logged in" are two different things.
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Estonut:. No, I don't have "automatic" on. I didn't on the old tablet. I don't believe in letting systems take away my volition.

With some things, as the way e-mail is set up on Alcatel, & possibly all tablets, I have no choice.

ghostjmf

#8 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:34 am

A lot of problems I have with new tablet may be attributable to the Nougat OS, which the tablet media is drooling over.

I find having features pop up I don't need & don't want to be a real nuisance. Especially when none of the droolers, or the mfg, tell you how to turn then off. Primary offender is split-screen; you can turn it on by tapping a window tab in some unique fashion, but to turn it off, writers talk about some button at screen bottom I don't find, or what they call "intent" button. So far, of course, googling "intent button" gets me nada useful.

The on-line manual for this tablet says camera has flash & panorama, which it emphatically does *not* have. But hey, they put both of those & a front-facing speaker into the A30*+* *phone*.

Dragging one of the splitties over the other does apparently get you full screen back, though.

While I'm at it, how do you turn off spell-check/autocorrect for this *board*? I've got it off for gmail at long last, but it's still interfering for the board.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:44 am

ghostjmf wrote:While I'm at it, how do you turn off spell-check/autocorrect for this *board*? I've got it off for gmail at long last, but it's still interfering for the board.
It's your tablet/browser doing that. It is not a Bored setting.
Groucho Marx

ghostjmf

#10 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:27 am

I turned it off under "language". I'm currently using Android's blue globe browser for the board. It apparently obeys other rules than what I've set for the tablet. I'll try Chrome.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:31 am

ghostjmf wrote:I turned it off under "language". I'm currently using Android's blue globe browser for the board. It apparently obeys other rules than what I've set for the tablet. I'll try Chrome.
I had to go into language/input, on screen keyboard under manage keyboards, then smart typing. It isn't particularily intuitive at times...mine is a Samsung Tab S. But, it isn't the browser doing it, as far as I know either.
Well, then

ghostjmf

#12 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:30 am

I just logged with Chrome browser & get same darn auto-stuff. Don't find a switch on browser itself.

Another irksome deal is this tablet is slurping up data points, & other than that other browser I haven't downloaded anything I kept.

Oops, OK, I keep SoundCloud & Spotify, but I had downloaded them on old tablet, rarely if ever use SoundCloud, & they didn't eat data on old tablet just by sitting there unused.

The other tablet threatened you ("you may crash") if you tried to disable any of the "came with" apps. This tablet just doesn' t let you do it.

ghostjmf

#13 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:14 pm

I discovered another way to get rid of split-screen: Just turn the damn tablet off. Its gone when you turn tablet back on.

At the rate this tab eats data I'm already paying twice as much per month, that's w/ no music listening, not much more than reading mail. And this group.

The consumer complaint board has a lot about gross ineptitude & price-gouging, only one so far about "the upgrade of system made my phone/tab not work". Since my old tab actually did work at a "fast, for something calling itself only 2-G, rate in Boston" I'm seriously considering going back to it.

But loading my info back on, if I need to, would be strenuous.

I do now get 4GLTE service in a part of Portland Maine where I used to get either 2G or nada. But the expense is not worth it. Still don't know what I'd get higher up in Maine.

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:40 pm

Oh yeah; there are a few people on the complaints board who know that their devices no longer work & know TM recently did a systems upgrade, but are not putting it together that the upgrade is the reason for their device not working.

And TM doesn't tell therm.