2017 Kennedy Center Honorees

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

2017 Kennedy Center Honorees

#1 Post by franktangredi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:10 am

Carmen de Lavallade
Gloria Estefan
LL Cool J
Norman Lear
Lionel Richie

LL Cool J is the youngest honoree since Stevie Wonder, who was also 49. His selection brings rap (which has been around for more than 30 years) into the fold.

Norman Lear, at 95, is one of the oldest nominees. He has announced that he will forgo the White House reception and only attend the gala.

silverscreenselect

Re: 2017 Kennedy Center Honorees

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:01 am

franktangredi wrote: Norman Lear, at 95, is one of the oldest nominees. He has announced that he will forgo the White House reception and only attend the gala.
I'll bet Norman really, really, really, really wishes he'd made the cut last year.

But LL Cool J shaking hands with Trump might be kind of fun to watch.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:08 am

I know LL Cool J is a fixture on NCIS Los Angeles, but that was never going to get him to the Kennedy Center. de Lavallade had a few movie roles in her career, especially a part in a very good (and seldom seen) film noir, Odds Against Tomorrow with Robert Ryan and Harry Belafonte. But no one is on the list this year who is primarily known for his or her acting. That's rather unusual. (Last year Al Pacino was one of the honorees.)
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:57 am

silverscreenselect wrote:But LL Cool J shaking hands with Trump might be kind of fun to watch.

LL's Mama may give him some advice on that....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

franktangredi

#5 Post by franktangredi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:21 am

silverscreenselect wrote:I know LL Cool J is a fixture on NCIS Los Angeles, but that was never going to get him to the Kennedy Center. de Lavallade had a few movie roles in her career, especially a part in a very good (and seldom seen) film noir, Odds Against Tomorrow with Robert Ryan and Harry Belafonte. But no one is on the list this year who is primarily known for his or her acting. That's rather unusual. (Last year Al Pacino was one of the honorees.)
I noticed that. I'd like to see Michael Caine honored.

The person I'd most like to see honored is Terrence McNally. There have been damn few playwrights up there - Tennessee Williams, Arthur Miller, Neil Simon, and Edward Albee. (If August Wilson hadn't died so young, he certainly would have been added to that list by now.)

Estonut
Evil Genius

#6 Post by Estonut » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:54 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:I know LL Cool J is a fixture on NCIS Los Angeles, but that was never going to get him to the Kennedy Center.
Of course not. It took his hosting of "Lip Sync Battle" to put him over the top.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx