RIP Glen Campbell

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

RIP Glen Campbell

#1 Post by Vandal » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Glen Campbell, the indelible voice behind 21 Top 40 hits including "Rhinestone Cowboy," "Wichita Lineman" and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," died Tuesday. He was 81. A rep for Universal Music Group, Campbell's record label, confirmed the singer's death to Rolling Stone. During a career that spanned six decades, Campbell sold over 45 million records. In 1968, one of his biggest years, he outsold the Beatles.
http://www.rollingstone.com/country/new ... dead-at-81
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

elwoodblues

Re: RIP Glen Campbell

#2 Post by elwoodblues » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:32 pm

I ordinarily don't like country music, but I did like a lot of his songs. RIP

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:47 pm

Vandal wrote:
Glen Campbell, the indelible voice behind 21 Top 40 hits including "Rhinestone Cowboy," "Wichita Lineman" and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix," died Tuesday. He was 81. A rep for Universal Music Group, Campbell's record label, confirmed the singer's death to Rolling Stone. During a career that spanned six decades, Campbell sold over 45 million records. In 1968, one of his biggest years, he outsold the Beatles.
http://www.rollingstone.com/country/new ... dead-at-81
We used to watch his show every week. I was only about 9 when it started, but I still loved it. I remember always getting a kick out of Jerry Reed and their interplay. It wasn't until later when I understood more about music that I realized what a technically talented musician he was.

RIP, Glen. You will always be Gentle on My Mind.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by T_Bone0806 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:18 pm

elwoodblues wrote:I ordinarily don't like country music, but I did like a lot of his songs. RIP

This seems to be a common thing concerning Mr. Campbell. I am very very fussy about what country music I like, but I have always found a spot in my music library for his music. His recent output saw him finish on a high note and over the last almost 10 years he made some of his best music.

I also liked his TV show back in the day, and you can hear his guitar on a lot of records in the 60's, including a goodly number of Beach Boys tunes (he also replaced Brian Wilson in the touring schedule of the Beach Boys for awhile.

I feel very privileged to have seen him on his farewell tour a few years back. The love and support from his band (which included some of his children) and the audience was truly touching. He did stumble a couple of times with lyrics, when he lost his place on the teleprompter, but most of the audience knew the score and just cheered him on. One thing was not missing that night: his guitar skills. He ripped a bunch of spectacular riffs that would've been the envy of many a guitar slinger half his age.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:16 pm

And let's not forget (the True Grit theme is another song of his that I've always liked):

Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com